• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Blam
(11-09-2017, 11:13 PM)
http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...-Entertainment

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced today an agreement to acquire Respawn Entertainment, LLC, a leading independent game development studio and creators of AAA shooter and action games including the critically-acclaimed Titanfall™ franchise. Respawn brings to EA the proven leadership and studio talent behind Titanfall and Titanfall 2, two of the most highly-rated shooter titles in the last five years. The acquisition builds on a successful publishing partnership between Respawn and EA, with multiple projects currently in development – a new title in the Titanfall franchise, a game set in the Star Wars™ universe and a VR gaming experience.

“We started Respawn with the goal to create a studio with some of the best talent in the industry, and to be a top developer of innovative games”
Tweet this
“We’ve seen firsthand the world-class caliber of Respawn as a development studio with incredible vision, deep talent and an inspiring creative mindset,” said Andrew Wilson, CEO of Electronic Arts. “Our longtime partnership is grounded in a shared desire to push the boundaries and deliver extraordinary and innovative new experiences for players around the world. Together, we’ve brought this to life in the Titanfall franchise, and now with the Respawn team joining EA, we have exciting plans to accomplish even more amazing things in the future.”

“We started Respawn with the goal to create a studio with some of the best talent in the industry, and to be a top developer of innovative games,” said Vince Zampella, CEO of Respawn Entertainment. “We felt that now was the time to join an industry leader that brings the resources and support we need for long term success, while still keeping our culture and creative freedom. EA has been a great partner over the years with Titanfall and Titanfall 2, and we’re excited to combine our strengths. This is a great next step for Respawn, EA, and our players.”

Respawn is the creator and developer of the critically-acclaimed Titanfall franchise that energized the first-person shooter genre with its innovative gameplay. The first game, Titanfall, was published by EA in 2014, and received global recognition with more than 75 top awards. Fans and critics fell in love with the game’s refreshing, fast-paced multiplayer gameplay. Respawn and EA launched Titanfall 2 in late 2016, with a new single-player campaign and expanded multiplayer gameplay, resulting in one of the year’s top-rated shooters.

Respawn will join EA’s Worldwide Studios organization, a global creative collective of leading game development studios bringing to life an unmatched portfolio of top games and services across all major platforms.

Under the agreement, EA will pay $151 million in cash, and up to $164 million in long-term equity in the form of restricted stock units to employees, which will vest over four years. In addition, EA may be required to pay additional variable cash consideration that is contingent upon achievement of certain performance milestones, relating to the development of future titles, through the end of calendar 2022. The additional consideration is limited to a maximum of $140 million. The transaction is expected to close by the end of the calendar 2017 or soon thereafter, subject to regulatory approvals and other customary closing conditions. The acquisition is expected to be neutral to EA’s net income in fiscal years 2018 and 2019.

Edit: It was $151 Million in cash, and another $164 million in stocks that'll be distributed to employees in 4 years. With an additional bonus of $140 million if they do well in the next few years.

Turn me into a EA studio, and shut me down if old.
BibiMaghoo
(11-09-2017, 11:14 PM)
RIP Respawn.
Omitat
(11-09-2017, 11:14 PM)
$315 million (plus $140m possible bonus)
PantsuJo
(11-09-2017, 11:15 PM)
RIP Respawn
MDSLKTR
What was respawn thinking
FrenchFryFiend
Someone have that pic with all the studios bodies in the ditch?

Terrible move here, Respawn will get closed down at the first sign of a game failing to meet projections.
//DEVIL//
Thread title is wrong.
315 million plus 140 million bonus

And microsoft should have bought them .
Dr. Kitty Muffins
(11-09-2017, 11:16 PM)
Cross one off of Microsofts acquisition list. I give EA 7 to 8 years before they fold them.
Joyful
(11-09-2017, 11:16 PM)
rip
sushisamurai30
(11-09-2017, 11:17 PM)
I give them 2-3 years before they shut down
Dalauz
""EA will pay $151 million in cash, and up to $164 million in long-term equity in the form of restricted stock units to employees, which will vest over four years. In addition, EA may be required to pay additional variable cash consideration that is contingent upon achievement of certain performance milestones, relating to the development of future titles, through the end of calendar 2022."""

315 millions

PS:

RIP Respawn
Complistic
Aren't they made up of people who left infinity ward/activisions oppression?
Insane Metal
Dispensed Internet Salt
(11-09-2017, 11:18 PM)
Welp. RIP Respawn.
Yearsoflurking
Rip
Gamezone
The first thing they'll do is to shut down their Star Wars project because it wasn't enough microtransaction friendly. RIP Respawn too.
Rayven
aka surume
(11-09-2017, 11:19 PM)
Start the death clock.
autoduelist

Originally Posted by Complistic

Aren't they made up of people who left infinity ward/activisions oppression?

Building up companies to sell to EA isn't exactly a bad business plan.
LeFlamaBlanca
Yeah yeah itís EA they spend $151 million to kill a studio. You all got it, you cracked the code.

Visceral deserved to be shut down based on all accounts of people in the know. Mess of a studio, game headed nowhere, nothing seen from them. They also produced shit games before this anyways.
Ruff
(11-09-2017, 11:20 PM)
Doesn't make sense to me that they'd escape Activisions thumb only to sell themselves to the worst publisher in the world, but i guess money was the end goal here. RIP respawn.
Malio
(11-09-2017, 11:21 PM)
Enjoy your last few years Respawn, enjoyed Titanfall. You better hope the next game perform$$$$.
NolbertoS
Cue in the PapEA with Respawn now. I give it 5 years and rhey fold. Watch the exodus in 2 years time.
Alebrije

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

Suicide. Lest see by 2020.
Malio
(11-09-2017, 11:22 PM)

Originally Posted by LeFlamaBlanca

Yeah yeah itís EA they spend $151 million to kill a studio. You all got it, you cracked the code.

Visceral deserved to be shut down based on all accounts of people in the know. Mess of a studio, game headed nowhere, nothing seen from them. They also produced shit games before this anyways.

It's always the juniors.
cuate
It was nice knowing them.
Boss★Moogle
It's a bit weird they decided to buy them considering Titanfall 2 bombed sales-wise even though the game is absolutely brilliant (a bit less so for me after their "re-balancing" patches, but still)
Complistic

Originally Posted by autoduelist

Building up companies to sell to EA isn't exactly a bad business plan.

I mean yeah, we've been raising animals for the slaughter forever.
LeFlamaBlanca
(11-09-2017, 11:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Malio

It's always the juniors.

Itís always the insults towards the minorities because weíre ďjuniorĒ
Honome
(11-09-2017, 11:23 PM)
So probably Titanfall Battle Royale is their next game and if it doesn't sell 20 million copies they will be shut down...

RIP Respawn! One more for the EA murder list soon!
Killdozer
(11-09-2017, 11:24 PM)
All I have to say is:

Force Respawn to release TitanFall 2 at the worst possible time and even against EA's biggest IPs, watch as sales struggle, put Respawn in a tough position, acquire IP and assets on the cheap, force them to make shitty games, and eventually add the body to the pile.

Well played...but not really because it was fucking obvious ever since TitanFall2s release date was announced.

Respawn folks should just check out and focus working on their portfolios and resumes.
Revolutionary
(11-09-2017, 11:25 PM)
Congrats on a big payday but condolences on the future of the studio.
NoKisum
(11-09-2017, 11:26 PM)
Guess they won't "respawn" from this one.

I'm so sorry.
katsais
(11-09-2017, 11:26 PM)
Hmm, well, as long as the studio employees got well compensated, it might be best. They did have a lot of drama with Activision.

So, I wonder if Bungie will have a similar fate with Activision. Hmm.
Killdozer
(11-09-2017, 11:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Revolutionary

Congrats on a big payday but condolences on the future of the studio.

Sure, the execs will get a payday but anyone working for a living will probably be lucky so see more than $80K over those 4 years.
Bookoo
(11-09-2017, 11:27 PM)
Uh Oh. Hope they still get to make that VR title they are working on.
Falchion
(11-09-2017, 11:30 PM)
I hope we still get more Titanfall......
BibiMaghoo
I place their remaining life as a studio after acquisition somewhere between Pandemic and Westwood, perhaps even reaching Bullfrog heights of 6 years before they are shuttered.
comedykev

Originally Posted by Dr. Kitty Muffins

Cross one off of Microsofts acquisition list. I give EA 7 to 8 years before they fold them.

More like 3-4 years
Corpsepyre
Well, shit. There goes the Star Wars action adventure game by Stig Asmussen.
plake
(11-09-2017, 11:34 PM)
RI.... oh wait, DICE is thriving even though EA Bought them ten years ago. Nuances, people.
DaCocoBrova
Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
(11-09-2017, 11:38 PM)
That sux. TF2 is dope tho! All should own it.
GribbleGrunger
(11-09-2017, 11:40 PM)
Titanfell.
Soldiussnaku
(11-09-2017, 11:47 PM)
Oh come on, they should be dead in a few years after signing a deal with the megacorp EA is.

RIP respawn
EDarkness
(11-09-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

Seriously. It's like watching the beginning of the end for their studio.
Golgo 13
(11-09-2017, 11:49 PM)
Goodbye Respawn Entertainment. You were one of my favorite studios, if that means anything.
zeniselv
(11-09-2017, 11:50 PM)
Its like watching teens in a slasher movie but real life, I have no idea why they do what they do, that is clearly going to get them killed.
Coulomb_Barrier
Yep, will be closed as soon as Titanfall 3, with added EA-compliant dumbed-down gameplay, fails to sell as many copies as EA thinks it should.
deadscreensky

Originally Posted by plake

RI.... oh wait, DICE is thriving even though EA Bought them ten years ago. Nuances, people.

I mean that's one of the only exceptions I can think of, and I feel you could debate the thriving element a bit. (DICE used to create a wider variety of games IMO, though it wouldn't be fair to only pin that on EA.) EA has killed an enormous amount of studios they've acquired. Hell, every time you fire up one of their games on PC you have to be reminded of that, because they've draped their PC store in the corpse of one of their greatest acquisitions.

People are maybe being a little silly, but EA's track record here is extremely well-earned.
Breakage
(11-09-2017, 11:52 PM)
$151m kiss of death
PsihoPerihelion
(11-09-2017, 11:54 PM)
Gee whiz, PapEA.

Originally Posted by //DEVIL//

Thread title is wrong.

lol like Microsoft doesn't close studios left and right. They are as bad as EA.
Bigby_Wolf
Banned
(11-09-2017, 11:56 PM)

Originally Posted by //DEVIL//

Thread title is wrong.

343 + Respawn present: Halo 6

Now with more mech action