• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

KneehighPark
(11-11-2017, 05:08 AM)
So, got my Xbox One X yesterday. Before my console arrived I installed Halo 5, Quantum Break, and some other games on my old Xbox One S, then transferred them to an external SSD. When my XB1X arrived I transferred from the external SSD to my internal drive.

I booted up Halo 5 but forgot to put the disc in. But the game works no problem.
Vaz
(11-11-2017, 05:14 AM)
Why don't you call MS support so they can fix that for you?
down 2 orth
(11-11-2017, 05:16 AM)
Microsoft cloud power
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(11-11-2017, 05:16 AM)
Sometimes people have the free to play weekend digital version and are able to use that instead of their disc. But I don't know if one of those is going on right now

Hmm. Go to the Xbox website while logged into your Microsoft account. Then go to the Halo 5 page. Would it let you purchase it?
Spasm
(11-11-2017, 05:17 AM)
Gamepass?
Molten_
(11-11-2017, 05:19 AM)
Magic
Nikana
(11-11-2017, 05:27 AM)
Guessing your activated the free game pass trial.
KneehighPark
(11-11-2017, 05:29 AM)

Originally Posted by Nikana

Guessing your activated the free game pass trial.

I did. That might explain it. I assumed they kept those licenses separate, similar to how you PS4 handles it (I know I can have disk and digital versions of games on PS4).

Thanks
JohnnyFootball
The Last of Us may be third person, but it is hardly third person.
(11-11-2017, 05:44 AM)

Originally Posted by KneehighPark

I did. That might explain it. I assumed they kept those licenses separate, similar to how you PS4 handles it (I know I can have disk and digital versions of games on PS4).

Thanks

Yep. That that is exactly what happened. WIth the game pass active you can play Halo 5 until the pass expires.
Jessie.Bristol
(11-11-2017, 06:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Spasm

Gamepass?

I was about to post this. Maybe the OP redeemed the 1-Month Game Pass code that comes with the Xbox One X. Halo 5 is still a part of that library.

Edit: Disregard above comment, just read that the OP did redeem the Game Pass code.
Syriel
(11-11-2017, 07:26 AM)

Thanks

Nope. On Xbox One the game data is the same, no matter what. The only thing that differs is the license.

You either have a disc license, home console license, account license, trial license, or subscription license.

If one (or more) is present, the game will boot. If none are present, it will ask you to purchase the title, insert a disc, or login as an account with the license.
KneehighPark
(11-11-2017, 08:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Syriel

Nope. On Xbox One the game data is the same, no matter what. The only thing that differs is the license.

You either have a disc license, home console license, account license, trial license, or subscription license.

If one (or more) is present, the game will boot. If none are present, it will ask you to purchase the title, insert a disc, or login as an account with the license.

Good to know. Itís interesting to see how licenses are handled. I just installed Rare Replay and it looks like I now have duplicate versions of some games, like Perfect Dark and the Banjo Kazooie Games.
meirl
(11-11-2017, 08:55 AM)

Thanks

Are they really doing it like that? That sucks. So you cant Just get the Disc from a Friend install it and then buy the digital copy to save bandwidth?
SmartWaffles
(11-11-2017, 09:07 AM)

Good to know. It’s interesting to see how licenses are handled. I just installed Rare Replay and it looks like I now have duplicate versions of some games, like Perfect Dark and the Banjo Kazooie Games.

Certain Rare Replay games have two different versions, one specifically for RR, another one from general Xbox BC.

Originally Posted by meirl

Are they really doing it like that? That sucks. So you cant Just get the Disc from a Friend install it and then buy the digital copy to save bandwidth?

On PS4 digital and disc install files are treated as different data so you can't do that.
Norse
(11-11-2017, 07:48 PM)
Just noticed that gears 4 and halo 5 combo pack in the Ms store is only 38$. Great deal on a 2 pack of 1X enhanced games.