• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

midasmulligan
(11-10-2017, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Montresor

Microsoft absolutely nailing the mid-gen refresh. My GOODNESS.

Yeah, I mean, they friggin nailed the tech with this console, absolute sweet spot here
rokkerkory
(11-10-2017, 06:16 PM)
I cannot wait to replay all the Halo's on the X...

Can you imagine Halo 6? I hope they stick to 108p60 but with BEST IQ possible.
Norse
(11-10-2017, 06:20 PM)

Originally Posted by midasmulligan

Yeah, I mean, they friggin nailed the tech with this console, absolute sweet spot here

Agreed

1X is a beast. Awesome job MS.
Unity2012
(11-10-2017, 06:35 PM)
The game plays buttery smooth and looks truly amazing.

Great job MS and 343i.
The_Mike
(11-10-2017, 06:55 PM)
So I decided to play halo 5 again on my X after seeing this, but I hate the controls in this game.

I play alot of FPS games like Battlefield and CoD, and while these feel natural to me the control in Halo 5 feels tanky.

Now, I've tried to mess around with sensivity and such, and never really hit what I would say is fluid control, but I cannot find a way to set the settings to default again. Does anyone know default settings, or did I miss the step that shows default settings for sensivity?

Is it possible to make it feel as fluid as battlefield and cod ?
Night.Ninja
One really creepy thing I do is just repeatedly shit on GAF while sarcastically calling it a "top tier gaming forum" so feel free to report me if I keep doing this.
(11-10-2017, 07:07 PM)
Game looks beautiful on the X, going to make me play more
EBE
(11-10-2017, 07:11 PM)
Was the post beta downgrade ever discussed anywhere? I remember it having much nicer lighting generally than the finished game
Cpt Lmao
(11-10-2017, 07:17 PM)

Originally Posted by Shil Pencer

Halo is unique in a way because it seems no fan can agree on the “good” and “bad” Halos. 343 can never win. For me
Halo 1 - Loved
Halo 2 - Loved
Halo 3 - Eh
Reach - absolutely hated
Halo 4 - Loved
Halo 5 - best multiplayer since 2 with a let down story

It’s not hard

Halo 1,2,3 — Excellent
ODST — Excellent but a rip off on launch
Halo Reach — Good

Halo 4 — Red Wedding level of bad
Halo 5 — Boring
Xaero Gravity
(11-10-2017, 07:20 PM)

Originally Posted by rokkerkory

I cannot wait to replay all the Halo's on the X...

Can you imagine Halo 6? I hope they stick to 108p60 but with BEST IQ possible.

I'm scared the vocal minority regarding split screen will result in sacrificing 60fps for it.
Bustanen
(11-10-2017, 07:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Xaero Gravity

I'm scared the vocal minority regarding split screen will result in sacrificing 60fps for it.

I hope they do it. Split screen is what makes Halo games enjoyable.
shpankey
not an idiot
(11-10-2017, 07:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

You guys saying Reach was the worst are out of your fucking minds.

Halo 4 was the worst. Reach is 2nd or 3rd ay least. The campaign was incredible

Hated Reach, only Halo game I didn’t at least like or love.
Ryu Hayabusa
(11-10-2017, 07:55 PM)
H5G looks really good. Amazing.

X is a Beast.
Calibos
(11-10-2017, 08:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Bustanen

I hope they do it. Split screen is what makes Halo games enjoyable.

They need to do 4 player split screen. Even if it's 30fps for that mode.
Lovely Salsa
List of trash:
FTL
Chivalry
Shovel Knight
Divinity Original Sin
Broken Age
Kentucky Route Zero

I also dislike graphic novels, bus stops, maps, reading for kids, classical music, board games, opera, art, and geiger counters.
(11-10-2017, 08:01 PM)

Originally Posted by midasmulligan

They put themselves in a position where their next gen must be atleast as powerful as a 1080ti
Lettuce
(11-10-2017, 08:08 PM)
Was there a FireFight mode ever released for Halo 5?
Alebrije
(11-10-2017, 08:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Lovely Salsa

They put themselves in a position where their next gen must be atleast as powerful as a 1080ti

Not only theirs but Sony will be forced to improve a lot more. Want to get a PRO but XboneX feels like a sweet spot to the mid term gen console so I am hesitating, maybe will end to keep my PS4 for multiplayer and exclusives and get an XboneX. It's funny but the spect that I want more about XboneX for backward and games from other developers is that it's more quietly than PRO.
NowhereFaded
(11-10-2017, 08:31 PM)

Originally Posted by The_Mike

So I decided to play halo 5 again on my X after seeing this, but I hate the controls in this game.

I play alot of FPS games like Battlefield and CoD, and while these feel natural to me the control in Halo 5 feels tanky.

Now, I've tried to mess around with sensivity and such, and never really hit what I would say is fluid control, but I cannot find a way to set the settings to default again. Does anyone know default settings, or did I miss the step that shows default settings for sensivity?

Is it possible to make it feel as fluid as battlefield and cod ?

Coming from someone who’s last halo experience was Reach, this is also my question.
Hoping Santa brings me a x this Xmas $
TheSpecialOne
(11-10-2017, 08:50 PM)

Originally Posted by JaffeLion

yup, nextgen just started. wow.

Lol, no it didn't. Halo 5 looks good but it's certainly not even in the top 5 best looking game this gen. Also from what I've played of the campaign so far, its the definition of a corridor shooter.
munroe
(11-10-2017, 09:01 PM)
Interesting that there's less loading hitches when installed on the internal hard drive than an external. Is that a case that the internal connectivity is faster or is this an exception?
BizarroPete
(11-10-2017, 09:03 PM)
Played a little of Halo 5 campaign again and the visuals do look great. Replaying it though reminded me of how bad the story is, what a let down that was. I hope they can turn this around in 6.
TLZ
(11-10-2017, 09:08 PM)

Originally Posted by JaffeLion

yup, nextgen just started. wow.

Sigh...

Originally Posted by Journey

4K/60 folks. I was supposed to be mad at MS for false advertising, but instead I'm mad at all those that said it couldn't be done.

It's not a consistent 4k60. It's using dynamic resolution.

Do you guys believe your own hyperbole?
TLZ
(11-10-2017, 09:15 PM)
Double.
Bizzquik
(11-10-2017, 09:19 PM)
I own this game but haven't played Halo multiplayer in a decade. Is it time to jump back in - especially now with the XB1X update?
JimboJones
(11-10-2017, 09:19 PM)
I know it's unrealistic but it would have been nice to see split screen return.

I wonder if that will be a X exclusive feature for Halo 6.
rokkerkory
(11-10-2017, 09:49 PM)

Originally Posted by TLZ

Sigh...

It's hitting 4k60 more often than not but yeah this isn't a new gen
Laserdisk
(11-10-2017, 09:50 PM)
The biggest change I have seen, it's like a different game at times.
Rourkey
(11-10-2017, 10:27 PM)
Wowzers, 4k at 60fps is unreal, this is Defo getting another play through!
CAR105 3
(11-10-2017, 10:29 PM)

Originally Posted by The Real Napsta

Was 3 worse than Reach?

No

Reach is the worst
Journey
(11-10-2017, 11:06 PM)

Originally Posted by TLZ

Sigh...

I didn't say this was next gen, I'm genuinely surprised that it's hitting 4K/60 at this level of quality. It's not like they took existing assets and just bumped the resolution, but improved the visuals ANND the resolution. Pretty impressive and supposedly not doable. It's 4K/60 most of the time, don't forget that it's 60fps 100% of the time, so instead of dropping a few frames, it drops a few pixels, and just as games that run 60fps most of the time are considered 60fps games, this game just happens put priority on framerate and drops a few pixels instead, but in the end it's a 4K game.
EventHorizon
(11-10-2017, 11:50 PM)

Halo without split screen isn't Halo. I'd gladly sacrifice 60fps for it.

It's kind of funny. This video got me hyped about Halo again. I actually started thinking about picking up an Xbox to play it*. Then I realized...oops no splitscreen and noped that thought right out of my head. Meanwhile I've bought Borderlands 2 twice. Why? Splitscreen.

*To be honest, I probably still would not have done it due to the poor reviews Halo 5 has gotten.
rokkerkory
(11-10-2017, 11:58 PM)
yeah shit they need to bring back splitscreen at least for campaign in Halo 6
CrazyDutch
(11-11-2017, 12:32 AM)
This game looks so good in 4K on my LG OLED.
CassidyIzABeast
(11-11-2017, 12:35 AM)

Originally Posted by rokkerkory

yeah shit they need to bring back splitscreen at least for campaign in Halo 6

They announced way back in February that every Halo going forward will have split screen
CaptainSmirnov
(11-11-2017, 12:48 AM)
Can't justify a xbox one x right now but when i eventually pick one up with a price drop i will play this game first, it was a mess visually on xbox one
rokkerkory
(11-11-2017, 12:49 AM)

Originally Posted by CassidyIzABeast

They announced way back in February that every Halo going forward will have split screen

Heck yea! Thanks
Xaero Gravity
(11-11-2017, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by CassidyIzABeast

This better not mean no more 60fps for single player >(
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-11-2017, 01:27 AM)

This better not mean no more 60fps for single player >(

If it's an option to split the screen for lower FPS, who cares.

60 FPS is basically a lock, too. Halo's split screen was an integral part of its success and place in video game history.
Heath V
(11-11-2017, 01:27 AM)

Originally Posted by LeFlamaBlanca

2013 is “just started”?

Guess I’ve been asleep for a while.

That's not what he meant..

Go hook up an X and play Forza 7, 4k along with HDR is a legit game changer.
Xaero Gravity
(11-11-2017, 01:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Greatest Ever

If it's an option to split the screen for lower FPS, who cares.

60 FPS is basically a lock, too. Halo's split screen was an integral part of its success and place in video game history.

That's what I'm hoping for.
Nikana
(11-11-2017, 02:07 AM)
I'm pretty sure Bonnie Ross called out split screen being cut as a mistake and they want to correct it going forward, or maybe I made that up?
osiris_128bits
(11-11-2017, 02:28 AM)
I really appreciate the 4k patch - I say good work!

I am bothered by this digital foundry video - it feels like I just watched an ad or a pitch from microsoft/xbox/halo all at the same time...
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-11-2017, 03:11 AM)

That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm fairly sure that's what it'll be. Who knows how many players in split screen though - it may just be two player split screen in co-op campaign and nothing for competitive multiplayer.

It's a shame that as big screens become more commonplace, especially to take advantage of 4K, split screen got the boot.

Originally Posted by Nikana

I'm pretty sure Bonnie Ross called out split screen being cut as a mistake and they want to correct it going forward, or maybe I made that up?

You're correct.
moonbeam
(11-11-2017, 06:03 AM)
The resolution dump looks great but it would have been nice if they fixed the motion blur. It still looks really, really bad. I'm surprised this was not mentioned in the video. I think I started getting motion sick from it just from watching the video.
Jessie.Bristol
(11-11-2017, 06:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Lettuce

Was there a FireFight mode ever released for Halo 5?

Yes, it is under the Warzone game mode. It is called Warzone Firefight.
SS4Ricky
(11-11-2017, 08:25 AM)
Oh man, this game is looking super sharp. I wonder how that boss Warden Eternal will look.

Or maybe that boss fight with Warden Eternal.

And don't forget that boss fight with Warden Eternal.

Or the boss fight with Warden Eternal.

And I'm sure it will look especially crisp when you have that showdown with Warden Eternal.

And finally, let's not forget that incredible boss fight with 3....yes you guessed it! Warden Eternal.

The sole reason why we hate Halo 5 story mode ladies and gentlemen. I couldn't make this up if I tried.
Velikost
(11-11-2017, 09:11 AM)

Originally Posted by EventHorizon

Halo without split screen isn't Halo. I'd gladly sacrifice 60fps for it.

It's kind of funny. This video got me hyped about Halo again. I actually started thinking about picking up an Xbox to play it*. Then I realized...oops no splitscreen and noped that thought right out of my head. Meanwhile I've bought Borderlands 2 twice. Why? Splitscreen.

*To be honest, I probably still would not have done it due to the poor reviews Halo 5 has gotten.

This might be the worst thing I've read on this forum
jmartoine
(11-11-2017, 09:24 AM)

Originally Posted by SS4Ricky

Oh man, this game is looking super sharp. I wonder how that boss Warden Eternal will look.

Or maybe that boss fight with Warden Eternal.

And don't forget that boss fight with Warden Eternal.

Or the boss fight with Warden Eternal.

And I'm sure it will look especially crisp when you have that showdown with Warden Eternal.

And finally, let's not forget that incredible boss fight with 3....yes you guessed it! Warden Eternal.

The sole reason why we hate Halo 5 story mode ladies and gentlemen. I couldn't make this up if I tried.

Did they ever patch the exploit where you can just jump out of the arena where you face 3 of them and avoid the fight?
thelastword
(11-11-2017, 12:28 PM)

Originally Posted by osiris_128bits

I really appreciate the 4k patch - I say good work!

I am bothered by this digital foundry video - it feels like I just watched an ad or a pitch from microsoft/xbox/halo all at the same time...

Hmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Rourkey

Wowzers, 4k at 60fps is unreal, this is Defo getting another play through!

It's not 4k 60fps though, it's dynamic and you still have framerate drops. I think I saw one down to 50fps at one point....

Originally Posted by Bustanen

Yep, resolution bump is nice but still doesn't impress me. Animations are janky, lots of pop-in, bad af etc.

What? Surely you haven't played D2 on pc let alone 4K, not even close lol.

Yes, the resolution bump is very nice, it's what I've been telling people, resolution makes a big difference, 16xAF makes a big difference. So the poster who said people complained about halo's textures and lod, it's not so much that, rather that a low resolution blurs fine detail and a lack of AF crucifies textures and visible detail....

On the flip DF said the IQ is incredible, on the rsolution side it's superb in the 4k mode, but the aliasing and shimmering is pretty much resident and noticeable, so a little TAA would have done them nicely. I also get the impression that DF believes that they could have done more with shadows etc...but the console does not have infinite power. You realize that AF had to decrease in the 4k mode to keep the framerate and dynamic rez as high as possible, so I think much better shadows would affect that even more-so. On the CPU side, I can still see some pop-in and halfrate animations, but I'm pretty sure improving these would have an adverse effect on the framerate....

All in all good very solid patch and the results are what I expected, however it's not native 4k as Phil suggested that all first party games would be...
goonergaz
(11-11-2017, 12:39 PM)
I'm surprised why people are surprised!

This is a game designed to play at 1/4 of the resolution on a console that's a quarter as powerful (if you get what I mean).

I know it's not always a straight upgrade, but I'm really not that surprised that it's running around 4x better on 4x more powerful hardware.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-11-2017, 04:06 PM)

Originally Posted by thelastword

Hmmmmm....

It's not 4k 60fps though, it's dynamic and you still have framerate drops. I think I saw one down to 50fps at one point....

Yes, the resolution bump is very nice, it's what I've been telling people, resolution makes a big difference, 16xAF makes a big difference. So the poster who said people complained about halo's textures and lod, it's not so much that, rather that a low resolution blurs fine detail and a lack of AF crucifies textures and visible detail....

On the flip DF said the IQ is incredible, on the rsolution side it's superb in the 4k mode, but the aliasing and shimmering is pretty much resident and noticeable, so a little TAA would have done them nicely. I also get the impression that DF believes that they could have done more with shadows etc...but the console does not have infinite power. You realize that AF had to decrease in the 4k mode to keep the framerate and dynamic rez as high as possible, so I think much better shadows would affect that even more-so. On the CPU side, I can still see some pop-in and halfrate animations, but I'm pretty sure improving these would have an adverse effect on the framerate....

All in all good very solid patch and the results are what I expected, however it's not native 4k as Phil suggested that all first party games would be...

It's 4k a large majority of the time. The gameplay is for all intents and purposes (especially multiplayer) 60 FPS locked. The drops to 50 are loading related and not graphically burden related.