• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Gamezone
(11-11-2017, 12:18 AM)
It's ridiculous. Phil Spencer said right after the Xbox One launch day that their goal was to improve install speed from disc. Years later, and one heck of a powerful system later, it's still way worse than the PS4 launch console. Why?
munroe
(11-11-2017, 12:20 AM)
Are you connected to live when trying to install? If so, I believe it gets the latest updates at the same time
Gamezone
(11-11-2017, 12:21 AM)

Originally Posted by munroe

Are you connected to live when trying to install? If so, I believe it gets the latest updates at the same time

No I'm talking about offline PS4 VS offline Xbox One X.
munroe
(11-11-2017, 12:23 AM)
Then I dunno, installation doesn't take very long for me when I install from disc. What sort of times are you seeing for install?
F40
(11-11-2017, 12:27 AM)
I don't know, but the fact you have to insert the disc to play has made me avoid purchasing them this generation.
PSlayer
(11-11-2017, 12:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Gamezone

It's ridiculous. Phil Spencer said right after the Xbox One launch day that their goal was to improve install speed from disc. Years later, and one heck of a powerful system later, it's still way worse than the PS4 launch console. Why?

PS4 has an extra(ARM?) core and ~512MB of RAM for background installation.This enables players to start playing the game sooner while the rest of the game is still installing.

It is one of the little but nice features of PS4.
Nikana
(11-11-2017, 12:29 AM)
Edit: I read it wrong.

Not sure if you mean time to install or time to be able to play because yea it's better on ps4 but never more than a few minutes different for me from disc.
Goalus
(11-11-2017, 12:31 AM)

Just curious, do you own an Xbox One X?
JimboJones
(11-11-2017, 12:42 AM)

Originally Posted by F40

I don't know, but the fact you have to insert the disc to play has made me avoid purchasing them this generation.

How else would you play it? You can't really expect them to let you install the disk then just you sell it while still being able to play your installed copy.
Bickle2
(11-11-2017, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by PSlayer

PS4 has an extra(ARM?) core and ~512MB of RAM for background installation.This enables players to start playing the game sooner while the rest of the game is still installing.

It is one of the little but nice features of PS4.

the ARM chips n both systems are running standby features, not active use

Xbox can also play games before itís finished. It just requires the proper layout by the studio when that playable period happens. So blame the developer, not Microsoft.
JareBear
(11-11-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Bickle2

Xbox can also play games before itís finished

His point was this is just something the PS4 does better.

Disc installation on MS consoles this gen is tedious compared to PS4
rokkerkory
(11-11-2017, 12:51 AM)
Totally this is one area ps4 is tops
The_Mike
(11-11-2017, 12:58 AM)

Originally Posted by JimboJones

How else would you play it? You can't really expect them to let you install the disk then just you sell it while still being able to play your installed copy.

By binding the game with cd keys like it was meant to be during the reveal of the One.
Toni
(11-11-2017, 12:59 AM)
PS4 is an installation beast.
Nikana
(11-11-2017, 01:11 AM)

Originally Posted by JareBear

Tedious? You put the thing in, it goes. Done.
Bickle2
(11-11-2017, 01:12 AM)

Originally Posted by JareBear

Not really. The bigger problem is lazy developers not laying their discs out correctly.
Xaero Gravity
(11-11-2017, 01:14 AM)

Originally Posted by Nikana

Tedious? You put the thing in, it goes. Done.

( ͡į ͜ʖ ͡į)
F40
(11-11-2017, 01:26 AM)

Originally Posted by JimboJones

We'll it was part of the original Xbox One plan. You would install the game from the disc (I presume with a code) and you wouldn't have to insert the disc again. That plan went belly up as we all know. Disc media is on its way out anyway. Next generation games are probably going to be in the hundreds of gigabytes exceeding the limits of bluray disc capacity. I could see game transfer kiosk in stores in the future. You would take your harddrive/flash drive to the store kiosk, pay and have your game transferred in about 10 minutes. Hopefully 5G and gigabit networks will be more prevalent.
Dinzy
(11-11-2017, 01:28 AM)

Originally Posted by F40

Wasn't MS ripped to shit over their solution to this prior to the XBO launch? They actually tried to make disc = digital as in they were both just data xfer mechanisms and they wanted to allow users to sell either.

It was actually an idea worth testing.
batman2million
(11-11-2017, 01:32 AM)
Yup. Took me almost and hour per game on the X1X. And I have a 1 gigbit connection.
Xero
(11-11-2017, 01:38 AM)
the xbox install times is one of the reasons I ditched it for the ps4. Getting my new xbox one and then having to wait 5 hours for halo 5 to install is rediculous. I can download and install an entire new game in an hour on steam. or play instantly on ps4 while it downloads.
Calibos
(11-11-2017, 01:41 AM)
I guess I'd like to see some comparison videos. Homefront( the only disc I own) installed in 20 minutes offline on OG Xbox one.

PS4 has some tech that allows disc games to be played while they install in the background.

On the flip side, MS updated there network to install Digital games at rediculous speeds. Not sure why they can't do an update for disc installs.

In this day and age of 50-100GB games and 10GB day one patches though, it's a tough situation..
Calibos
(11-11-2017, 01:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Xero

the xbox install times is one of the reasons I ditched it for the ps4. Getting my new xbox one and then having to wait 5 hours for halo 5 to install is rediculous. I can download and install an entire new game in an hour on steam. or play instantly on ps4 while it downloads.

As I said, thus was updated to install digital games faster...I get 50-100mbs when downloading games on XB1.
onQ123
(11-11-2017, 02:07 AM)
PS4 has PlayGo
Xaero Gravity
(11-11-2017, 02:10 AM)

Originally Posted by Xero

5 hours!? I've never had a game on either console take anywhere near that long.

Not saying you're lying by the way, I'd have done the same if that were the norm.
Nikana
(11-11-2017, 02:16 AM)

Originally Posted by Xaero Gravity

Not saying you're lying by the way, I'd have done the same if that were the norm.

Halo 5 is over 100 gigs so I could see it taking awhile...but it's the exception, not the norm.
osiris_128bits
(11-11-2017, 02:16 AM)
The xbox one is based on windows 10 architecture... I am not surprised at all by this.
entremet
(11-11-2017, 02:19 AM)
Sony developed a really slick installation protocol for the 4. Itís called PlayGo.
Alebrije
(11-11-2017, 02:20 AM)
PS4 is a beast.
Bickle2
(11-11-2017, 05:57 AM)

Those installation times undoubtedly includ 50GB of patches
Spukc
(11-11-2017, 06:08 AM)

Whatever i rather wait and go
BEAST
E
A
S
T
Norse
(11-11-2017, 06:08 AM)

Those installation times undoubtedly includ 50GB of patches

Exactly...unless you go to settings and set the system to offline mode or shut the network off, you're d/loading updates while installing from the disc. Having data from 2 sources writing to the HDD will always slow shit down. Some of you don't know what being offline really is. Just having your user name logged off doesn't mean crap.
i586
(11-11-2017, 07:44 AM)

Xbox can also play games before itís finished. It just requires the proper layout by the studio when that playable period happens. So blame the developer, not Microsoft.

This.

Different systems, different OS, different disc layout, files compression, encryption etc.. The list can go on.
Don't want to sound rough but people need to think a little more than that about that recurring topic.
Also on PS4, not all games allow to play "instantly".
Xaero Gravity
(11-11-2017, 07:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Norse

Exactly...unless you go to settings and set the system to offline mode or shut the network off, you're d/loading updates while installing from the disc. Having data from 2 sources writing to the HDD will always slow shit down. Some of you don't know what being offline really is. Just having your user name logged off doesn't mean crap.

You can just reject the patch when it prompts the download, and then download it afterwards.
goonergaz
(11-11-2017, 09:51 AM)

Originally Posted by i586

No, but a lot do, and even when they don't the whole experience seems a lot smoother on PS4. When I got my XBO I was shocked by how badly this is implemented - in particular I think it's the fact it only seems to be able to deal with one installation or update at a time (from my experience). Also there's a weird thing where you have to have the latest patch even to play games offline (unless this was just an issue with Forza?).
madmackem
(11-11-2017, 10:09 AM)
Ass origins took longer to install off disc than it would've took to download. I forgot how bad it is as I've been buying digital for a while.
Wiped89
(11-11-2017, 10:18 AM)

Originally Posted by i586

This.

Different systems, different OS, different disc layout, files compression, encryption etc.. The list can go on.
Don't want to sound rough but people need to think a little more than that about that recurring topic.

No one cares about the technical reasons why Microsoft failed hard on this aspect of the console. Why should people think about or care about the 'disc layout' etc?

If the PS4 can do it so well then Microsoft could have, but didn't. They certainly could have improved it since launch. But haven't.

The PS4 beats the Xbox One hands down for game installs.
leehom
(11-11-2017, 10:35 AM)

MS and their slow af servers took me over 24 hours to DL/update Forza 5.
autoduelist
(11-11-2017, 10:57 AM)

Originally Posted by F40

We'll it was part of the original Xbox One plan. You would install the game from the disc (I presume with a code) and you wouldn't have to insert the disc again. That plan went belly up as we all know. Disc media is on its way out anyway. Next generation games are probably going to be in the hundreds of gigabytes exceeding the limits of bluray disc capacity. I could see game transfer kiosk in stores in the future. You would take your harddrive/flash drive to the store kiosk, pay and have your game transferred in about 10 minutes. Hopefully 5G and gigabit networks will be more prevalent.

This is perhaps the silliest prediction I've ever seen on this site, ever.

Hint:
We've filled up previous gaming mediums before. We didn't create transfer kiosks [lol], they just put two [sometimes 5 or more] discs in the package.
Sosokrates
(11-11-2017, 11:04 AM)

Because people using the system offline are a minority.
Also Ms and sony/Nintendo have priorities.

Is it really so hard to install a game in advanced? Or before you watch a Netflix show?

If it really brothers you dont game on an Xbox.
goonergaz
(11-11-2017, 11:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Sosokrates

Because people using the system offline are a minority.
Also Ms and sony/Nintendo have priorities.

Is it really so hard to install a game in advanced? Or before you watch a Netflix show?

If it really brothers you dont game on an Xbox.

The issue is the time it takes to do it, most people accept a wait...but for Xbox it's often a very, very long time.
Sosokrates
(11-11-2017, 11:27 AM)

Originally Posted by goonergaz

The issue is the time it takes to do it, most people accept a wait...but for Xbox it's often a very, very long time.

Its never been an issue for me, I ve never noticed a difference between ps4 and x1 in install times.This generation its just somthing you have to prepare for.

Not that I timed it but its never taken longer then an hour for me on either console.Ill just watch some youtube or netflix or play another game, its been quicker then I expected this gen.
thelurkinghorror
(11-11-2017, 11:52 AM)
In this generation Microsoft has get the worse from Ps3 and Sony the best from Xbox360. And 360 was my primary system in the past so I know well the actual pain
EvB
(11-11-2017, 12:40 PM)
I tell you what we need, a thread that talks about each and every thing the PS4 does better than Xbox One X.

Can somebody make a new thread about the OS being garbage? Itís been at least 10 minutes since the last one.
Toadthemushroom
(11-11-2017, 12:41 PM)
It depends on what game youíre playing but for smaller or non-open world titles Iím sure the PS4 still does it better since you can effectively launch the game immediately after inserting the disc and play the game while it installs.

With open world games where a significant amount of data must be installed for the game to work, I believe Xbox is on par with PS4.
goonergaz
(11-11-2017, 12:45 PM)

Originally Posted by EvB

I tell you what we need, a thread that talks about each and every thing the PS4 does better than Xbox One X.

Can somebody make a new thread about the OS being garbage? Itís been at least 10 minutes since the last one.

It's likely just come up because OP has bought an Xbox and realised the pain - tends to happen when consoles are launched, pretty sure there was dissing about aspects of the Pro (vs XBO) when it came out.
c0de
next time I babble on about sales parity, just quote my tag back at me thx friend
(11-11-2017, 12:52 PM)

Originally Posted by batman2million

Yup. Took me almost and hour per game on the X1X. And I have a 1 gigbit connection.

How does your internet access play any role when you install a game from disc to disk?
MaulerX
(11-11-2017, 01:18 PM)
Was installing Shadow of War from disc the other day and it literally took a few minutes to start playing. While I'm sure it could be better it's an area where I feel people make it out to be worse than it really is.
shmoglish
(11-11-2017, 01:29 PM)

Originally Posted by EvB

Yeah or you can just make a thread where you praise everything the Xbox does. Good things, bad things, just everything. Of course no one is allowed to criticism your favorite system there.
Bucket-o-roadkill
(11-11-2017, 01:47 PM)
This thread is full of people having 2 completely different arguments, one minute there are complaints about the time it takes to install discs, then someone pipes up about the fucking Internet? What? Disconnect the Internet and install to see what op is on about. And I mean disconnect, not hide offline lol