• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Zog
(11-10-2017, 03:10 PM)

Originally Posted by saltinekracka

I generally try to be helpful if someone asks for my help. No need to get something in return, that's why it's called a favor. Don't be a jerk, help your friends and family.

To what end? What if they were calling you weekly for some minor problem? What if they are calling because Windows Defender popped up a message letting them know that there were no problems found on their PC. I have a friend who just can't understand why Facebook is sluggish at his house (though not so much at my house). I explain that his internet connection makes a difference because Facebook has to load in many pictures and videos for every page load. I explain that he could speed up his connection a little by plugging in an ethernet cable instead of using wi-fi. I am just tired of explaining the same thing. I charge like $20 for everything, even if it takes hours but he said that the local shop that he used to go to charged $35 an hour so I don't feel bad at all.
Randy Monk
(11-10-2017, 06:02 PM)
The best thing to do is understand what the industry standard rate is. How much would it cost that person to get a professional to help them move or fix something? If you don't know then make a few calls and ask.

I used to help friends and relatives with PC/laptop problems for free but if they took it to a shop it would cost $100 minimum. So I tell them I can fix it for 75% of what a shop would charge and they are happy. If they are not willing to pay then move along because they do not value your time.

For moving houses or apartments, I usually ask for $300 a day in cash which is above what it costs for a removalists company. Any work that requires physical labour runs the risk of injury and who is going to pay for your medical bills if anything happens to you? So I ask for more than a professional to steer them from me helping them because it's better to be safe than sorry.
Tackleberry
(11-10-2017, 06:06 PM)

Originally Posted by Very Berry Sunday

Such as if they're asking you to use your pickup truck, or they ask you to help them move (especially if they never helped you before).

Or if they go to you for free tech work, such as fixing their laptops full of malware.

Or if some random stranger asked to use your phone to call somebody.

Or if a family member of one of your "buddies" asked you to cosign a loan.

I get asked a lot to draw things or people for free. When I tell them no, that I do charge for that.. they immediately take offense.

Sorry folks, it's a skill I have honed over years and it takes a LOT of time to do it right.
Mexen
(11-10-2017, 07:41 PM)
One day, I'll have the courage to say no.
ricardo_sousa11
(11-10-2017, 08:00 PM)
Im a freelancer videographer, so I learned how to say no and to value my work/time. If sometimes I sound rude, im sorry but its necessary if you come at me looking for freebies.

However, it always depends on the situations, for example - "Or if some random stranger asked to use your phone to call somebody."

I once got lost, in the middle of the night in Madrid (first time I was there and completely lost without any notion of where I should go to) and had to ask a stranger for this, he basically saved me a lot of pain and in 1 minute I knew what I had to do.

So, the circumstances always change the way I'd go about these situations, even if they are work related.
Cerbero
(11-10-2017, 11:32 PM)
I had to stop helping people with their computers because somehow if you fix it once you become the person in charge of that system for life, fuck that.
Sub Boss
(11-11-2017, 01:44 AM)
Oh i thought you mean sexual services
ipukespiders
(11-11-2017, 02:09 AM)

Originally Posted by Sub Boss

Oh i thought you mean sexual services

That's never a wrong assumption to make.
ManDudeChild
(11-11-2017, 03:52 AM)
I say no now. Like many here I used to do pc help but nobody respects my time. Or failing that would blame me for them getting viruses six months down the line. Shit like that. I just say no and either take it in and pay pc repair prices or use fucking Google and figure it out. Let's be real all of us that have been down this road Google it if we can't instantly figure it out.
gimmmick
(11-11-2017, 04:10 AM)
Only certain amount of people I will not say no to when they ask for a favor. Other then that, majority of the people I know are in their mid 30s and can pay for services like moving for renting a hotel room if they are visiting me.

As for someone using my phone, I don't let anyone I don't know use. Everyone has a cell phone, no need to use mine. Only time I can think I let a stranger use my phone when was during the shooting in Las Vegas last month and their phone ran out of battery to make a call.