• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

RPGCrazied
(11-06-2017, 12:39 AM)
Like Obama said, we're numb to this. Its not going to stop unless we get some common sense gun control passed. But since NRA has deep pockets, GOP won't do anything.

And RIP to these people.

Keeps getting closer to home, I also live in a fairly small Texas town.
cuate
(11-06-2017, 12:43 AM)

Originally Posted by ZeoVGM

You're agreeing with something that is factually incorrect.

Gun CONTROL will help make the issue better. This isn't a matter of opinion, it's a statement of fact that is backed up by many cases across the world.

I doubt it. Crazies would just use different means to kill (explosives, cars, knifes, arsonism etc)
Kimawolf
(11-06-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by RPGCrazied

Like Obama said, we're numb to this. Its not going to stop unless we get some common sense gun control passed. But since NRA has deep pockets, GOP won't do anything.

And RIP to these people.

Keeps getting closer to home, I also live in a fairly small Texas town.

Well i knew this when 24 kids were murdered.

And we have a REALISTIC and real showing of what gun regulation can do. Look at Australia pr Britain and compare to the U.S. all the bs numbers dont change the reality that Australia amd Britain are safer than the U.S. and in Australia affer they enacted srrict gun laws their gun crime dropped. And they arent having a mass shooting every month.
Night Angel
(11-06-2017, 12:47 AM)

Originally Posted by cuate

I doubt it. Crazies would just use different means to kill (explosives, cars, knifes, arsonism etc)

Then why is it that most other wealthy, developed nations have homicide rates less than half (mostly less than a third) of ours? Shit, just our gun homicide rates eclipse most other nations total homicide rates in that category. See my earlier posts for sources on that claim.
Discourse
(11-06-2017, 12:50 AM)

All of those are less lethal weapons.
NoMoreTrolls
(11-06-2017, 12:51 AM)

Originally Posted by Night Angel

Then why is it that most other wealthy, developed nations have homicide rates less than half (mostly less than a third) of ours? Shit, just our gun homicide rates eclipse most other nations total homicide rates in that category. See my earlier posts for sources on that claim.

Psssh fuck your "source," with its "scientific studies" from that so called "medical journal." Surely MvCSpiderman will deliver with his much more relevant and recent source that refutes that sophomoric, ancient (2 years? Where'd the stats come from, the Ottoman Empire?) shit you posted.
j_k_redtail
(11-06-2017, 12:56 AM)

A few years ago a local kid grabbed a knife from his family's kitchen and stabbed twenty classmates and one security guard. Every single one of them lived. I am grateful that he wasn't able to get his hands on a firearm.

Access actually does make a difference.
PhantomZone
(11-06-2017, 12:56 AM)
America has the power to do something about it, but will they ? If they haven't by now it's probably never going to happen.

The politicians that tweet condolences are hypocrites. They shouldn't condemn these acts when they have the power to put a stop to them.
cuate
(11-06-2017, 12:57 AM)

I'm guessing , but I don't think anyone unstable enough to commit mass murder would be thwarted by stricter gun laws. Guns aren't the only way to kill people. Someone who is committed enough will accomplish what they want, gun access or not.
NoMoreTrolls
(11-06-2017, 12:58 AM)

I'm guessing , but I don't think anyone unstable enough to commit mass murder would be thwarted by stricter gun laws. Guns aren't the only way to kill people. Someone who is committed enough will accomplish what they want, gun access or not.

Dude guns make killing people way easier. There's zero reason to guess anything. Making it harder to get guns wouldn't make the incidence of violence less, perhaps, but the devastation of those violent incidents would certainly be lessened.
Night Angel
(11-06-2017, 12:59 AM)

Mass murders are not the only issue, though. Regular access to guns has had a definite, undeniable, and easily proven effect on the murder rate in this country. Acting like it doesn't matter because murders can happen without guns is ridiculous.
The Giant
(11-06-2017, 01:10 AM)
I see America's favourite game show is back again.

Seriously America your country is fucked beyond repair.
Ancient Dragon
(11-06-2017, 01:12 AM)
Beem following this all day, people just fucking suck, goddamn
McLovin
(11-06-2017, 01:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Croatoan

The facts and graphs and shit show a general decline in homicide over the decades.

FBI homicide statistics also show that more people die from blunt objects than semi auto rifles each year. Yet nobody wants to ban baseball bats or your bare fists.

The media has this narrative about the evil black guns that doesn't hold up when you look at actual stats. This is why nothing is done.

If you wanted to curb gun deaths you would ban handguns as they are responsible for 90% of gun deaths when excluding cases where the means of death isn't reported (it's likely 90% of those are handgun related as well).

I could post stats and graphs and shit but since you were too lazy to back up your post I will be equally as lazy. You can start on the FBI's website and get back to me when you find something that fits your narrative.

Ok so multiple mass shootings at theaters, concerts, schools, and now a church arenít enough for you? We just had a mass shooting in Vegas and another one in Florida before that. I live a few miles from sandy hook, itís not fucking worth it, itís just not.
TTOOLL
(11-06-2017, 01:23 AM)

The facts and graphs and shit show a general decline in homicide over the decades.

FBI homicide statistics also show that more people die from blunt objects than semi auto rifles each year. Yet nobody wants to ban baseball bats or your bare fists.

The media has this narrative about the evil black guns that doesn't hold up when you look at actual stats. This is why nothing is done.

If you wanted to curb gun deaths you would ban handguns as they are responsible for 90% of gun deaths when excluding cases where the means of death isn't reported (it's likely 90% of those are handgun related as well).

I could post stats and graphs and shit but since you were too lazy to back up your post I will be equally as lazy. You can start on the FBI's website and get back to me when you find something that fits your narrative.

Good post.
Ombra
Banned
(11-06-2017, 01:33 AM)

Originally Posted by Breads

The forum is already yours. I don't see why you're still frontlining/ cheerleading.

What the fuck are tou even talking about, Are you lost?

Ah yes along with these fantasy statistics we have the new asspull technique thats making the rounds. "I have proof but i'm not going to share it because reasons."
Bravo.
Discourse
(11-06-2017, 01:34 AM)
YourMaster
(11-06-2017, 01:34 AM)

Banning ordinary citizens to have handguns would make sense yes. In fact, it would make more sense than to ban hand guns if you want to keep the general populace armed as a deterrent against tyranny.

And of course the reason why 'guns' can be banned but 'bats' and 'fists' can't/shouldn't, is because those things actually serve a purpose beyond being a weapon. 'Shooting' as a sport does not rely on lethal weapons by the way.
Night Angel
(11-06-2017, 01:39 AM)

Originally Posted by TTOOLL

Good post.

Framing your argument around semi-auto rifles seems disingenuous imo. According to
https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-12, about 73% of homicides in America in 2016 were gun-related, and 65% of those were with handguns. Gun control encompasses all types of firearms, no? Ignorant people bemoan specific guns (assault weapons don't exist, for real, learn about shit before spouting buzz words people), but in general this thread has been about gun control.
g11
(11-06-2017, 01:43 AM)

Originally Posted by ha.isu.bk

disgusting.

politicians will say 'my thoughts and prayers' and all that brouhaha, and then say 'now is not the time to discuss guns' - but when is the damn time ???

It can never be the time to discuss guns if we've constantly just had a mass shooting.
L Corleone
(11-06-2017, 01:44 AM)
You really need to get rid of all of those guns.
frogger
(11-06-2017, 01:44 AM)
Mass shooting has become the new norm in America. Seriously fuck NRA
The Giant
(11-06-2017, 01:49 AM)

Originally Posted by frogger

Mass shooting has become the new norm in America. Seriously fuck NRA

Mass shootings in American will always be terrorising for the country. While the rest of the world will just sigh and say stupid Americans and move on with their lives since it's not an issues for most countries.
dankir
(11-06-2017, 01:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Discourse

Was waiting for this
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 01:53 AM)
http://www.businessinsider.com/oecd-...s-chart-2015-6

Interestingly I found a source from that same year of 2015 that does not have the unstable. Massively ahead of all developed nation's at #1 as you say.
Night Angel
(11-06-2017, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by MvCSpiderman

http://www.businessinsider.com/oecd-...s-chart-2015-6

Interestingly I found a source from that same year of 2015 that does not have the unstable. Massively ahead of all developed nation's at #1 as you say.

Business Insider found that the US has a much higher rate of homicides than all but three of the 34 OECD nations:

So maybe you didn't read the other source after all. When compared with similarly wealthy developed nations, we're still #1! U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 01:59 AM)

Originally Posted by slit

Lol Jesus Christ! I swear Archie Bunker made this same argument on an episode of All in the Family in regards to gun control.

Interesting how gun violence is down and those are up.
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 02:00 AM)

So maybe you didn't read the other source after all. When compared with similarly wealthy developed nations, we're still #1! U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!

So you quote a passage in the article....

That proves me right.....

And proves you wrong....

...but your quiting it in a way that you think you won't the argument?

Did you want to go back and read your post and mine?
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 02:03 AM)

http://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/how-...her-countries/
I'm not even talking about mass killings here. America has a much higher homicide rate than any other developed nation, and a large portion of those are gun-related.

I'm not in favor of radical gun control (whatever that means). I'm fucking shocked at how easy it was for me to buy my gun. It's harder to legally drive a car than to own a damn gun in this country. Changes can be made that aren't "no more guns."

Whether or not there are other factors at play that explain those statistics, the easy access of guns in certainly a key factor.

this isn't true.

Here's the quote tree of you being wrong about the us being number one in homicides of developed countries and that it's "much higher" right here.
ASAP
(11-06-2017, 02:06 AM)
This man should have never had these weapons.

Americans are delusional to think there's a need for military grade weapons they love to cling onto.
Night Angel
(11-06-2017, 02:06 AM)

Here's the quote tree of you being wrong about the us being number one in homicides of developed countries and that it's "much higher" right here.

Oh, shit, you got me. One first world country is ahead of us, my entire point is invalid! Woe is me!

Let's ignore that ours is nearly double the rest of them. Nothing to see here, folks!
MidgarBlowedUp
(11-06-2017, 02:09 AM)
Victims were as young as 5 to as old as 72.
Just terrible.

Amy motives yet?
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 02:12 AM)

Oh, shit, you got me. One first world country is ahead of us, my entire point is invalid! Woe is me!

Let's ignore that ours is nearly double the rest of them. Nothing to see here, folks!

You do realize you said developed nation's right not first world so technically on paper, 3 are ahead? Either way you were wrong.

Remember you also said u.s. was number one. You were wrong.

You also not only said it was number one but it was much higher than everyone else, also incorrect.

Now I see you are going with 2nd grade style backpedaling, just admit the mistake and continue the thread.
MvCSpiderman
(11-06-2017, 02:13 AM)

Originally Posted by ASAP

This man should have never had these weapons.

Americans are delusional to think there's a need for military grade weapons they love to cling onto.

I hear it's semi-automatic so not really military grade from the info we have so far.
GeekyDad
(11-06-2017, 02:15 AM)

Originally Posted by SoundofSilence

That's a great response.

Not gonna speak for the man, but I'm guessing he's more suggesting that this type of news doesn't phase him anymore, it's so (horribly) commonplace.
Ombra
Banned
(11-06-2017, 02:23 AM)

Originally Posted by GeekyDad

Not gonna speak for the man, but I'm guessing he's more suggesting that this type of news doesn't phase him anymore, it's so (horribly) commonplace.

I got that same feeling I was ready to call foul but damn if it just starts becoming routine. The NRA and their revision of the 2nd amendment brought us here and the GOP is gonna make sure we stay here.
Kimawolf
(11-06-2017, 02:39 AM)

So you quote a passage in the article....

That proves me right.....

And proves you wrong....

...but your quiting it in a way that you think you won't the argument?

Did you want to go back and read your post and mine?

Its nothing to be proud of that those three countries are the only worse than us. mexico a country with a huge drug war going is worse than us. Turkey, another country with HUGE issues of its own as well.
GAR-OU
(11-06-2017, 02:39 AM)
Anytime a matter of non-Jihad domestic gun violence happens you always immediately see cries for Gun Control. Yet, the very same people shouting for Gun Control, which directly impacts the rights of American Citizens, are outraged at the mere idea of even having a discussion about Islam and its many flaws. It's not racist or Islamophobic to state Islam is a flawed religion. Christianity is also a flawed religion, but Christians are usually open to debate the matter. Try debating Islam in a majority Islam nation and see what happens to you. At the very least if its a white Christian who commits a crime and you insult Christianity there's usually never an implication that you're being "racist" towards Christians or "Christphobic".

Criticizing a religion isn't at all the same as proposing legislative changes that directly impact a person's 2nd Amendment rights. I'd have more respect for the Gun Control argument if those same people were open to discussing Islam without losing their minds.
therealist
(11-06-2017, 02:40 AM)
If we had a democratic president and a democratic Congress gun control would happen.

Vote in elections.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(11-06-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by GAR-OU

Anytime a matter of non-Jihad domestic gun violence happens you always immediately see cries for Gun Control. Yet, the very same people shouting for Gun Control, which directly impacts the rights of American Citizens, are outraged at the mere idea of even having a discussion about Islam and its many flaws. It's not racist or Islamophobic to state Islam is a flawed religion. Christianity is also a flawed religion, but Christians are usually open to debate the matter. Try debating Islam in a majority Islam nation and see what happens to you. At the very least if its a white Christian who commits a crime and you insult Christianity there's usually never an implication that you're being "racist" towards Christians or "Christphobic".

Criticizing a religion isn't at all the same as proposing legislative changes that directly impact a person's 2nd Amendment rights. I'd have more respect for the Gun Control argument if those same people were open to discussing Islam without losing their minds.

Ahh whataboutism. The sign of someone who has nothing better to say. Just say you really want to "discuss" Islam and drop the pretense.
lenovox1
(11-06-2017, 02:43 AM)

That is a discussion for the leaders and followers of the Islamic religion. Unless you're willing to actually devoting a part of your time to actually learning about the religion of Islam.
j_k_redtail
(11-06-2017, 02:56 AM)
WaPo

Authorities said that they found multiple weapons in the gunmanís vehicle. Kelley enlisted in 2010 and served as a logistical readiness airman stationed at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico, Air Force spokeswoman Ann Stefanek confirmed to The Washington Post. His discharge date was unclear, she said. CBS reported he was dishonorably discharged in 2014 Ė receiving the militaryís equivalent of a felony conviction.

That separation raises questions over Kelleyís ability to acquire a firearm. The Gun Control Act of 1968 prohibits anyone with a dishonorable discharge from buying guns and ammunition. The status is also flagged in law enforcement databases.

I'm gonna lose my mind if it turns out that someone bought the gun for him.
Kimawolf
(11-06-2017, 02:58 AM)

Why is it even a thing? We have proof it works! Look at Australia. All the proof you need. But hey keep talking about nonsense 2nd amendment. Your second amendment does not trump my right to live. Sorry.
Dreadnought
(11-06-2017, 03:07 AM)
Jesus what the fuck happened to this thread
Dr.Guru of Peru
played the long game
(11-06-2017, 03:37 AM)

I sure hope this isnít the quality of posting we can expect on neogaf post the exodus.
Volgarth
(11-06-2017, 03:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Kimawolf

Your second amendment does not trump my right to live. Sorry.

If this Right to Live is a thing why is there a death penalty? What about the draft? How can the government send me to war where I could die? Always wondered about that.
jetjevons
Bish loves my games!
(11-06-2017, 03:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Discourse

Wait a second. Was the article *always* 27 dead in Texas?!
WaterAstro
(11-06-2017, 04:02 AM)
Three shootings so close to each other and nothing will be done with guns.
ssolitare
(11-06-2017, 04:06 AM)

Originally Posted by Dr.Guru of Peru

I sure hope this isnít the quality of posting we can expect on neogaf post the exodus.

The pro gun stance exhibited so far is vastly inferior to the old forum.
Usobuko
(11-06-2017, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by DarkestHour

Looks like Evillores desire to stop having OT be nothing but anti-America bullshit will never happen.

USA ! USA ! USA !