• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Mindhunter : Page 2
milamber182
(11-10-2017, 12:11 PM)
I love it. The last few years I've started getting interested in cases like Zodiac, Claremont Serial Killer and read about some of the killers on this show. I started watching it on a whim and was so engrossed I ended up marathoning it in 4 days (which is fast by my standards because I get bored easily and rotate between as many shows as possible).

I can see why Holden drives some people up the wall but I thought it was great to have such a brilliant yet flawed protagonist who ends up paralleling some of his subjects. Also many people have complained about the mysterious recurring character: I believe the guy who keeps being shown is BTK who wasn't caught until the 90s so he could be the 1 guy that Holden becomes obsessed with over the course of the show but never catches.

It definitely helps to have some basic knowledge of the real life characters but it's not essential.
Diablos
(11-10-2017, 12:20 PM)
Tried watching a couple eps and I just couldn’t continue. I found it to be really boring.

Also I think the casting is mediocre. Dialogue and acting is pretty bad too.
DeSo
(11-10-2017, 01:07 PM)
I really enjoyed it but I've always been a big fan of true crime stuff. The guy who played Ed Kemper was excellent.
NutJobJim
(11-10-2017, 04:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Croatoan

IDK, I loved it until it just....ended. Like there was no pay off for anything. I also dislike shows and movies that are basically slowly watching someone ruin their life type things. Mock me but I like happy endings :P

I loved the show but the ending really disappointed. I can only assume there will be further seasons, especially since they kept on showing brief flashes of that other killer - BTK?

Also agree with the above, the guy that played Kemper was brilliant.
sparky2112
(11-10-2017, 06:57 PM)

Originally Posted by NutJobJim

Also agree with the above, the guy that played Kemper was brilliant.

I had to look him up on IMDB. Not sure what I expected, but Seth Rogan wasn't it:

dawgparty
(11-10-2017, 08:07 PM)
Jonathon Groff is trash in everything. I still don't really get why he gets roles. I guess he's less irritating than he is in Looking, but still.
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-10-2017, 09:11 PM)

Originally Posted by dawgparty

Jonathon Groff is trash in everything. I still don't really get why he gets roles. I guess he's less irritating than he is in Looking, but still.

He was great in Hamilton
Robot Pants
(11-10-2017, 10:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Diablos

Tried watching a couple eps and I just couldn’t continue. I found it to be really boring.

Also I think the casting is mediocre. Dialogue and acting is pretty bad too.

Have to get to episode 3.
First two are garbage
playoverwork
(11-10-2017, 11:31 PM)
As the plot mechanics go, I can sort of buy into, and tolerate, the friction with the rest of the FBI and their good-ol-boy culture threatening to shut the project down, but what felt genuinely contrived and almost made me want to punch the screen was when Wendy sabotages them through internal affairs because she was pissed over the "cunts" statement. It came across to me as extraordinarily egotistical, the rage of a spoiled ivory tower elite. She accuses Holden of "deviating from the protocol they agreed upon." It felt like a really forced way to inflate the script with extra conflict, and I don't want to believe the real Wendy would have been that angry over it, but maybe she was.

I just don't know how the writers want us to feel about that, if we're supposed to perhaps sympathize because lesbianism might have been less tolerated in the 70s than now (I'm really not so sure about that) and this was a sort of indirect, passive-aggressive manifestation of her suppressed outrage at having to live in the shadows. Either way, I'm much more sympathetic when she's furious at Holden for carelessly leaking details about an interview to the public, but still kind of mad that she burns taxpayer money to fly out to talk to an elected official for barely 15 minutes (lol). Nitpicky for sure, but it would've been cooler to just try to handle it over a phone call.
finowns
(11-11-2017, 04:49 AM)
Enjoyed this. The guy who played Ed Kemper killed. I'm rooting for Holden.

I didn't like the OPR plot especially when the new recruit cowardly snitches, it was somewhat unbelievable; there was nothing else happening at the FBI that crossed his moral threshold.. please.