• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Acorn
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:35 PM)
Acorn's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lupercal

People dismissing Rogan and making a quick judgement about his person, how very right of you.

Thank you for the support.
robinsxe
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:38 PM)
robinsxe's Avatar

Originally Posted by bionic77

Joe has also been a big critic of the 'social justice warriors' and other 'leftists' for the past few years, while seemingly not been as big of a critic of shitbag rightwing assholes who are tearing the country apart. I used to listen to his podcast all the time.

I didn't mind his bullshit criticism of SJWs before Trump got elected but since he got elected none of that stuff is funny to me anymore and I have zero tolerance for people like that.

And he hardly "covers" Trump the way he did with Hillary. Most of the episodes pre-election 2016 was unlistenable, atleast an hour each ep was devoted to Hillary rants.
FiggyCal
Banned
(10-11-2017, 03:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I think some of you put too much weight into what joe says. He's an entertainer and nothing else. If you want facts and studies he's not the man to listen to. Personally I don't ask my friends for sources and links when I'm shooting the shit with them. That sounds more like a debate than talking with your friends imo.

He also has no responsibility, intelectually or otherwise to be accurate or even moral. That's not the point of the show I don't think.

It's a podcast. Don't listen if you don't like him :)

He's very influential.
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:41 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

The irony of this post is clearly you not listening to his stuff because you're way off lmao

I listened to him quite often up until a few months ago.


Joe is now adamant most conspiracy theories are bullshit crazy.

The issue lies in how he facilitates and entertains the idea of them when he hosts people that peddle them. His friend (can't recall his name atm) who pushes everything from flat earth to moon landings. Yes Joe is goofy sometimes when he comes on but he'll always allow him to speak no matter how crazy it is. He hosts Alex Jones and others.

He has individuals on who play both sides in Charlottesville, claiming it was okay for nazis to be there because they had a permit to protest. That antifa and other protestors should e all been arrested Bev as use they didn't have a permit.

Don't put him on some pedestal.

I enjoy his shows when he has Tyson and other scientists on, not when he has retarded libertarian ideas about how we don't need a federal government anymore
Enter The 36 Chambers
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:54 PM)
Enter The 36 Chambers's Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

I listened to him quite often up until a few months ago.


Joe is now adamant most conspiracy theories are bullshit crazy.

The issue lies in how he facilitates and entertains the idea of them when he hosts people that peddle them. His friend (can't recall his name atm) who pushes everything from flat earth to moon landings. Yes Joe is goofy sometimes when he comes on but he'll always allow him to speak no matter how crazy it is. He hosts Alex Jones and others.

He has individuals on who play both sides in Charlottesville, claiming it was okay for nazis to be there because they had a permit to protest. That antifa and other protestors should e all been arrested Bev as use they didn't have a permit.

Don't put him on some pedestal.

I enjoy his shows when he has Tyson and other scientists on, not when he has retarded libertarian ideas about how we don't need a federal government anymore

I'm not putting him on a pedestal.

I enjoy the podcasts. I just dont think the fact that he invites, lefties, righies and libertarians is a crime against humanity.

You may disagree with some of the guests views, but it's damn interesting to hear the mindset of all people. Not just the ones on your team.

Sounds like some people just want joe to only have left leaning people on, and maybe once a week invite a right wing person on and instead of talking to them, punch them in the face.

This all just screams of safe space horseshit. You (not you in particular) really can't even listen to people with political views different from yours?

I don't even care about joe and his podcast that much, but god damn the rogan threads on here are damn near insanity everytime.
dawgparty
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:58 PM)
dawgparty's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

I'm not putting him on a pedestal.

I enjoy the podcasts. I just dont think the fact that he invites, lefties, righies and libertarians is a crime against humanity.

You may disagree with some of the guests views, but it's damn interesting to hear the mindset of all people. Not just the ones on your team.

Sounds like some people just want joe to only have left leaning people on, and maybe once a week invite a right wing person on and instead of talking to them, punch them in the face.

This all just screams of safe space horseshit. You (not you in particular) really can't even listen to people with political views different from yours?

I don't even care about joe and his podcast that much, but god damn the rogan threads on here are damn near insanity everytime.

You are tone-deaf as all hell. And don't say "safe space horseshit", you sound like a fucking idiot.
cackhyena
Member
(10-11-2017, 03:59 PM)
cackhyena's Avatar

Originally Posted by blakep267

I don't know if he has said anything but he'll allow guests to come on and say super bigoted stuff in the guise of conversation but instead of challenging them he'll nod or say "maybe I don't understand this but it seems like ...".

I'm fine with Joe being an idiot. But then stick to idiot things. Don't try and step into intellectual topics and give the viewpoint of an idiot

That's fair.
the1npc
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:15 PM)
the1npc's Avatar
He is often pretty wrong about things but is open to change at least. The guy has interesting guests sometimes and ill tune in then. The hate for him here is almost comical
NoblesseOblige
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:21 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by cackhyena

Has he said something super bigoted I'm unaware of? I'm not subscribed so there's plenty I don't bother with. Regardless, it's less about him anyway. He gets interesting guests on. I'm there for them.

Not that I can currently recall which is why I wasn't calling him a bigot. My point was just that because he aligns with me politically the majority of the time that doesn't mean I I'm going to consider him a ally or whatever. He gives too much airtime to actual bigots to be forgiven.
Snoopycat
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:22 PM)
Snoopycat's Avatar

Originally Posted by dawgparty

you sound like a fucking idiot.

Wow. Really great contribution. I think I'll go subscribe to Joe's podcast.
Staccat0
Fail out bailed
(10-11-2017, 04:22 PM)
Staccat0's Avatar

Originally Posted by MysteryQuesadilla

Rogan has a tendency to hint at buy-in to weird conspiracy theories that don't make any sense.

Oddly, the only thing of his Iíve watched is him and another dude rigorously debunking a flat earther.

Not saying he isnít one of these guys, because I have heard he buys into Sandy Hook conspiracies and stuff third hand but yeah.... weird.
smoothj
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:23 PM)
smoothj's Avatar

Originally Posted by the1npc

He is often pretty wrong about things but is open to change at least. The guy has interesting guests sometimes and ill tune in then. The hate for him here is almost comical

Seriously. He often admits he's wrong or was wrong on a previous podcast. He can't have all the facts but in order to move the conversation along he might say some shit that he didn't fact check before. It happens to everyone that has a conversation at times. Just enjoy the ride y'all.
NoblesseOblige
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:24 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snoopycat

I think I'll go subscribe to Joe's podcast.

Nobody cares.
the1npc
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:26 PM)
the1npc's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

Nobody cares.

You did enough to respond
Snoopycat
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:26 PM)
Snoopycat's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

Nobody cares.

You need to start doing some fact checking before you post. I never said anyone would..
NoblesseOblige
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:29 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by the1npc

He is often pretty wrong about things but is open to change at least. The guy has interesting guests sometimes and ill tune in then. The hate for him here is almost comical

Originally Posted by smoothj

Seriously. He often admits he's wrong or was wrong on a previous podcast. He can't have all the facts but in order to move the conversation along he might say some shit that he didn't fact check before. It happens to everyone that has a conversation at times. Just enjoy the ride y'all.

Dang y'all really fall for his obvious game.
Armaros
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:31 PM)
Armaros's Avatar

Originally Posted by Staccat0

Oddly, the only thing of his Iíve watched is him and another dude rigorously debunking a flat earther.

Not saying he isnít one of these guys, because I have heard he buys into Sandy Hook conspiracies and stuff third hand but yeah.... weird.

For a while he was adamant that pizzagate was a real thing
Infinite
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:33 PM)
Infinite's Avatar

Originally Posted by Armaros

For a while he was adamant that pizzagate was a real thing

I don't listen to this guys podcast but the gaf threads about them tells me everything I need to know about it
the1npc
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:33 PM)
the1npc's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

Dang y'all really fall for his obvious game.

What game? I toss a podcast on if the guest seems interesting, simple as that. Of course rogan says dumb shit sometimes but im not going to believe everything he says dudes a comedian
MysteryQuesadilla
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:34 PM)
MysteryQuesadilla's Avatar

Originally Posted by Staccat0

Oddly, the only thing of his Iíve watched is him and another dude rigorously debunking a flat earther.

Not saying he isnít one of these guys, because I have heard he buys into Sandy Hook conspiracies and stuff third hand but yeah.... weird.

Yeah he seems to have this method when I listened to his podcast of hosting weirdos, taking issue with some things, and then soft balling other things in a way that he seemed to be into but couldn't really explain as to why he was discussing them more in depth. Like it was this underhanded way to espouse his interest in weird shit.
Snoopycat
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:35 PM)
Snoopycat's Avatar

Originally Posted by smoothj

Seriously. He often admits he's wrong or was wrong on a previous podcast. He can't have all the facts but in order to move the conversation along he might say some shit that he didn't fact check before. It happens to everyone that has a conversation at times. Just enjoy the ride y'all.

The last time I watched one of his podcasts I saw him frequently asking his producer or whoever to check what he was saying on Google. Seems like a reasonable thing to me. It's a casual podcast not a TED talk.
8byte
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:37 PM)
8byte's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

This I don't get. Isn't the promise of his whole podcast a casual conversation?

The fuck kinda conversations do you have where you have a list of studies ready to reference and quote at will?

A lot of people on this board seem to shit on rogan for whatever reason, maybe he's not left enough or whatever. But this is just silly

If you're going to present a study as the basis for your point, you better do more than just "think".

It's the equivalent of someone coming up to you at a bar, having a few drinks, and then saying "I think I seen a study where the conclusion was how the Earth was flat". If you're going to say some radical shit, you should probably source it, or reevaluate your position that's entirely based on the POSSIBILITY of what you may or may not remember (accurately or otherwise).
MadLaughter
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:37 PM)
MadLaughter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snoopycat

The last time I watched one of his podcasts I saw him frequently asking his producer or whoever to check what he was saying on Google. Seems like a reasonable thing to me. It's a casual podcast not a TED talk.

Problem is, it's a very POPULAR casual podcast. Popularity and reach comes with some responsibility. If the shit you're saying goes out to millions of people, it's negligent to not put in the work to know if the shit you're saying is RIGHT or not.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-11-2017, 04:38 PM)
ghst's Avatar
properly smart bloke comes on a UFC commentator's podcast to discuss everything from particle theory to northern indian classical music to the science behind jimmy hendrix to difficulties facing socially progressive discourse for the best part of three hours, and all GAF wants to talk about is the UFC commentator.

be careful when you throw the term anti-intellectual around in the future.
digdug2k
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:40 PM)
digdug2k's Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

Rogan is a idiot, I don't know why anyone listens to the crap he has to say.

He's always "both sides are the same" "dems bad repubs bad libertarians good"

"conspiracy theories this, conspiracy theories that"

dude just talks random talking points and pushes for dumb shit he pretends to understand.

I clicked on this expecting that. I usually can't stand the guy. 20 minutes in it was mostly a scientist talking about interesting stuff, whether or not computers will ever be able to create art, weird animals in nature, etc. Neat stuff. Joe trying to chime in like he actually has some sort of knowledge on... any of those topics. (The guy played a janitor on a TV show in order to work his way into a failed reality show. WTF.) The scientist humoring him nicely. Some dumb stuff about how music is all really mathematical, which I think is kinda bullshit, but... whatever.

I have no idea if it turned back into more typical Rogan after that. There was no "vs." in that first 20min.
NoblesseOblige
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:41 PM)
NoblesseOblige's Avatar

Originally Posted by ghst

properly smart bloke comes on a UFC commentator's podcast to discuss everything from particle theory to northern indian classical music to the science behind jimmy hendrix to difficulties facing socially progressive discourse for the best part of three hours, and all GAF wants to talk about is the UFC commentator.

Are you trying to say something?
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:42 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar
Why is Rogan having a guy whose expertise is Mathematics and Economics on to talk about gender identity
Gentleman Jack
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:44 PM)
Gentleman Jack's Avatar

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

He's an entertainer and nothing else.

Folks tend to use this all-purpose defense for the likes of Alex Jones, et al to deflect the argument that they enjoy audiences who are in fact very much influenced by the things said during their hour of 'entertainment.' It's pretty flimsy.
Rumblebones
Banned
(10-11-2017, 04:44 PM)
Rogan is a dangerous useful idiot.

He's very comfortable extending his platform to the absolute worst dredges of society and will entertain whatever topic they'd like to talk about and generally doesn't offer enough repudiation of their harmful views, often acknowledging superficial points and surface level observations that cast a veneer of validity his audience then buys into.

I have no doubt Rogan is a contributing factor to the radicalisation of white men online. He's a good commentator on martial arts, but beyond the scope of that, he's generally just a complete fucking idiot that's being used to propagate dangerous views.

Fuck Joe Rogan.
Snoopycat
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:44 PM)
Snoopycat's Avatar

Originally Posted by MadLaughter

Problem is, it's a very POPULAR casual podcast. Popularity and reach comes with some responsibility. If the shit you're saying goes out to millions of people, it's negligent to not put in the work to know if the shit you're saying is RIGHT or not.

It's a podcast that starts with an intro that says, Hello freak bitches.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:49 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar
Let me rephrase further why is Rogan having a mathematician/economist who works for Peter Thiel and is this guy:

https://www.gq.com/story/eric-weinst...y-gap-women-hr

on to talk about gender identity
entremet
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:49 PM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

Why is Rogan having a guy whose expertise is Mathematics and Economics on to talk about gender identity

All his interviews are free flowing like that. Theyíre long form interviews, so itís not planned.
ghst
thanks for the laugh
(10-11-2017, 04:54 PM)
ghst's Avatar

Originally Posted by excelsiorlef

Let me rephrase further why is Rogan having a mathematician/economist who works for Peter Thiel and is this guy:

https://www.gq.com/story/eric-weinst...y-gap-women-hr

on to talk about gender identity

there's a three hour chat with him up there mate. why link a GQ article fishing for twatter scraps when i'm sure you'll have enough ammo to bomb the cunt back to the intellectual stoneage in an ad-lib three hour free flowing right wing pow wow.
Mahonay
Member
(10-11-2017, 04:58 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar
Joe Rogan is best ignored at this point. Dude has proven to be an idiot on literally every topic that's not MMA or smoking dank weed.
excelsiorlef
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:00 PM)
excelsiorlef's Avatar

Originally Posted by ghst

there's a three hour chat with him up there mate. why link a GQ article fishing for twatter scraps when i'm sure you'll have enough ammo to bomb the cunt back to the intellectual stoneage in an ad-lib three hour free flowing right wing pow wow.

Because I'm not going to listen to this guy for 3 hours? And the OP put focus on gender identity and the GQ article speaks to his general credibility?
JB1981
I am full of shit.
Rich, smooth, creamy shit.
(10-11-2017, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by dawgparty

You are tone-deaf as all hell. And don't say "safe space horseshit", you sound like a fucking idiot.

Nah he doesn't. He's right. And what's with the name calling? Idiot this, idiot that. Chill
Dyle
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:06 PM)
Dyle's Avatar
Rogan's show is just bad. It's like if he listened to some NPR interviews, decided to remove all of the credibility and fact checking, and then made sure that every episode veered away from the topics that his guests are actually knowledgeable on. There are definitely moments that are of value, like a select few parts of the Bret Weinstein one, but for the most part everything they say is unsubstantiated garbage that serves as echo chamber first and foremost.
Spuck-uk
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:13 PM)
Spuck-uk's Avatar

Originally Posted by Rogan

Joe Rogan Experience is overrated.

It's great when he has guests on talking about things he actually knows anything about (MMA and smoking weed), or stuff so far above his head it blows his brain out (quantum physics), but you could write literally anything on a piece of paper and he'll believe it wholesale.
Mahonay
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:14 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by dawgparty

You are tone-deaf as all hell. And don't say "safe space horseshit", you sound like a fucking idiot.

Don't call people idiots. I've eaten a ban for it before.
Shao Kahn on the Lawn
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:14 PM)
Shao Kahn on the Lawn's Avatar
Joe Rogan's podcast is like any other piece of entertainment media in existence: it has hits and misses. The podcast is at its best when he's in a mood to poke/prod his guest momentarily and then pull back to allow them to speak at length about what they're there to discuss, such as Michael Wood's discussion of the Boston Police Department or Ron Miscavige's discussion of Scientology.

If you're annoyed by his show, don't listen or watch. It's really that simple.
CopperPuppy
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:19 PM)
CopperPuppy's Avatar
I see fools are still caping for Rogan after he "both-sidesed" Charlottesville.
PixelatedBookake
Junior Member
(10-11-2017, 05:23 PM)
PixelatedBookake's Avatar

Originally Posted by CopperPuppy

I see fools are still caping for Rogan after he "both-sidesed" Charlottesville.

He did what
Prodigal Son
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:25 PM)
Prodigal Son's Avatar
JRE is a fun listen usually. will check this out
the1npc
Member
(10-11-2017, 05:28 PM)
the1npc's Avatar

Originally Posted by CopperPuppy

I see fools are still caping for Rogan after he "both-sidesed" Charlottesville.

Source? Im not a regular listener
hipbabboom
Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
(10-11-2017, 06:39 PM)
hipbabboom's Avatar
Its really cringe watching Joe failing to really connect with the guest in a manner he typically does when the alt-right discussion happens. He starts off thinking that Eric is being dismissive of the alt-right like he is and when he realizes that their views are diverging, he starts trying to lead Eric to move away from the idea that actual Nazis are in fact trying to co-opt all these symbols with an insidious intent TO the idea that people are goofing and these symbols don't have Nazi origins BUT i think Eric's point had already been established by then. It left Joe looking more sympathetic to the "actual" alt-rights agenda then even he would be more comfortable to put out their. This is very different then classic Rogan where he effectively plays the open ignorant mass who comes to the table to hear thoughtful and insightful perspectives from a person working on a different cognitive level than his. I wonder if he realizes how foolish he looks when he goes off the rails like that.
burnside13
Member
(10-11-2017, 06:43 PM)

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

"I think I seen a study and the vast majority..."

This is why you're an idiot Rogan, you think you seen things opposed to having things ready to source. I bet he probably doesn't even read studies but just the conclusions others feed him.

Thats exactly what Rogan would do. If you watch his podcast regularly you have to wonder how the hell he finds time to do all he says he does in his life. Constant travel work with the UFC, comedy gigs, jre recordings, hunting his own food all day, constant martial arts training and gym work. He seems to be expert and well experienced in about everything that his guests have going fir them.
Extra Sauce
Member
(10-11-2017, 06:46 PM)
Extra Sauce's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lupercal

People dismissing Rogan and making a quick judgement about his person, how very right of you.

Not sure if serious about the "quick" part but there are like thousands of hours of Joe Rogan spouting idiotic shit readily available online. Nothing quick about it.
EuropeOG
Member
(10-11-2017, 07:02 PM)
EuropeOG's Avatar

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

"I think I seen a study and the vast majority..."

This is why you're an idiot Rogan, you think you seen things opposed to having things ready to source. I bet he probably doesn't even read studies but just the conclusions others feed him.

He usually does know before a show, he is just talking more casually.
Hjod
Banned
(10-11-2017, 07:05 PM)
I only listeen when Burt, Tom or Joey are there. Joe isn't even a good comedian imo.
ReAxion
Member
(10-11-2017, 07:07 PM)
ReAxion's Avatar
Joe Rogan? Net bad.

Thread Tools