• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

dickroach
(10-11-2017, 11:56 AM)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMzjEaNFbAk

it's a very divisive conversation about race and gender and identity
Joe's kind of an idiot, but i think Eric is very well spoken in my opinion, like him or not.
did anyone else watch this?

i thought this was interesting, more than anything
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMzjEaNFbAk&t=44m58
(stop watching after like 45s. rogan is a total idiot)
i think there's so many pe/ople that are apathetic towards the political climate and they get labeled so harshly because of it.

yes, nazis are garbage and racist pieces of shit are pieces of shit.
Fat4all
(10-11-2017, 11:59 AM)

Originally Posted by dickroach

Joe's kind of an idiot,

please dont shock me
dickroach
(10-11-2017, 12:00 PM)

Originally Posted by Fat4all

please dont shock me

i'm gonna make a "what is a hot take" thread soon
caliph95
(10-11-2017, 12:01 PM)

i'm gonna make a "what is a hot take" thread soon

Will this be like the third or fourth thread
robotrock
Banned
(10-11-2017, 12:01 PM)
What does Eric think of sensory deprivation tanks? Need to know before I can click watch - thanks.
dickroach
(10-11-2017, 12:02 PM)

Originally Posted by robotrock

What does Eric think of sensory deprivation tanks? Need to know before I can click watch - thanks.

I dunno if he mentioned it in this, but i'd think he's be into it :\
Fat4all
(10-11-2017, 12:03 PM)

Originally Posted by robotrock

how much hair will i grow
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 12:30 PM)
Ended up watching the first 30 mins. Will listen to the whole thing later, Thanks OP!
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 12:37 PM)
"I think I seen a study and the vast majority..."

This is why you're an idiot Rogan, you think you seen things opposed to having things ready to source. I bet he probably doesn't even read studies but just the conclusions others feed him.
HereticJ
(10-11-2017, 12:46 PM)
Nevermind. Made a mistake to say the least.
Horns
(10-11-2017, 12:46 PM)
I will never take Joe's side. The man is an idiot. He'll always be one.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 12:47 PM)

Originally Posted by NoblesseOblige

"I think I seen a study and the vast majority..."

This is why you're an idiot Rogan, you think you seen things opposed to having things ready to source. I bet he probably doesn't even read studies but just the conclusions others feed him.

This I don't get. Isn't the promise of his whole podcast a casual conversation?

The fuck kinda conversations do you have where you have a list of studies ready to reference and quote at will?

A lot of people on this board seem to shit on rogan for whatever reason, maybe he's not left enough or whatever. But this is just silly
Lupercal
Banned
(10-11-2017, 12:51 PM)
People dismissing Rogan and making a quick judgement about his person, how very right of you.
Chuck Norris
Banned
(10-11-2017, 12:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Enter The 36 Chambers

The fuck kinda conversations do you have where you have a list of studies ready to reference and quote at will?

A lot of people on this board seem to shit on rogan for whatever reason, maybe he's not left enough or whatever. But this is just silly

Yes it is

Rogan is an interesting character, brings on interesting guests and often is open and encouraging enough to allow for a good conversation to happen while also having a good anecdotal memory

He doesn't need to be sourcing papers and shit, it's a podcast
Sho_Nuff82
(10-11-2017, 12:54 PM)

An appeal to authority can often be a breakdown of logic, especially when that appeal is made up out of thin air. "Many people are saying" or "I've read that" can be extremely misleading if you're not actually paraphrasing a good source.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 12:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

An appeal to authority can often be a breakdown of logic, especially when that appeal is made up out of thin air. "Many people are saying" or "I've read that" can be extremely misleading if you're not actually paraphrasing a good source.

I don't know, I think that's how most conversations work in the real world. Again, the whole premise is, it's like a conversation between buddies.

Why do they need to paraphrase a good source? It's not a debate, they're just talking. And as far as i know, joe never claims to be the authority on anything. Most times I've listen he says things abd asks the producer guy to google check the shit he says.

This is a podcast and not a debate, I think you guys are getting that part twisted.
SpideySenses
(10-11-2017, 01:08 PM)
I got through about ten minutes before tapping out, I have no idea how people can listen to Joe drone on in his weed haze for over an hour. And for context, I think he's great doing colour in UFC and was as good as a host could be doing Fear Factor, so I have no grudge against the guy.
Rogan
Banned
(10-11-2017, 01:10 PM)
Joe Rogan Experience is overrated.
hom3land
(10-11-2017, 01:12 PM)

Originally Posted by SpideySenses

I got through about ten minutes before tapping out, I have no idea how people can listen to Joe drone on in his weed haze for over an hour. And for context, I think he's great doing colour in UFC and was as good as a host could be doing Fear Factor, so I have no grudge against the guy.

I literally listen to him about very night. I can fall asleep so much quicker with his babbling nonsense.
Volimar
(10-11-2017, 01:13 PM)

I don't know, I think that's how most conversations work in the real world. Again, the whole premise is, it's like a conversation between buddies.

Why do they need to paraphrase a good source? It's not a debate, they're just talking. And as far as i know, joe never claims to be the authority on anything. Most times I've listen he says things abd asks the producer guy to google check the shit he says.

This is a podcast and not a debate, I think you guys are getting that part twisted.

Also it's a perfect tactic if you're full of shit and want to look like you know what you're talking about.
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 01:14 PM)

Do you regularly reference from memory studies you don't have a thorough grasp of in casual conversation?

No wonder you fail to understand.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 01:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Volimar

Also it's a perfect tactic if you're full of shit and want to look like you know what you're talking about.

Again, I don't think the point is that joe knows what he's talking about. To me the point is he's just a guy talking about this stuff with someone usually more knowledgable than him.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 01:16 PM)

Do you regularly reference from memory studies you don't have a thorough grasp of in casual conversation?

No wonder you fail to understand.

Nah. But if we're talking about something and I remember reading something or watching something on the Subject I will casually say "I think I remember reading..."

Because again, I'm having a conversation with a my friends abd not a political debate.
Volimar
(10-11-2017, 01:20 PM)

Nah. But if we're talking about something and I remember reading something or watching something on the Subject I will casually say "I think I remember reading..."

Because again, I'm having a conversation with a my friends abd not a political debate.

But it's not just you and your friend. It's you and your friend and your thousands of subscibers. At some point it has to become irresponsible for you to say something as fact when you don't really know.
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 01:24 PM)

Do you also record and broadcast your conversations to thousands of people?

edit: or 1.7 million rather
Scarecrow
(10-11-2017, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Volimar

But it's not just you and your friend. It's you and your friend and your thousands of subscibers. At some point it has to become irresponsible for you to say something as fact when you don't really know.

He's not saying it as fact. That's why the sentence starts with something like "I think I read somewhere..." If you're misconstruing that, then that's on you.
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 01:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Scarecrow

He's not saying it as fact. That's why the sentence starts with something like "I think I read somewhere..." If you're misconstruing that, then that's on you.

Not all of us are as cool with intellectual dishonesty as you seem to be.

Saying "I believe I read" or "I think I read" is just a convenient way to repackage your crappy ideas in a way that you can deflect when they come back on you.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(10-11-2017, 01:44 PM)

Personally I don't care for when people try this in the real world with me. If you make some pretty bold are wide reaching claims I'll ask for a source. My friends don't get offended either because its not that big a deal to hit up google or wikipedia to get some proof. I like Joe but he pulls that shit all the time.
cackhyena
(10-11-2017, 01:48 PM)
He says some dumb shit but he lets his guests speak. So many hosts feel the need to interject to an annoying level. Weinstein (unfortunate time to have that last name) seems smart as hell. Pretty fucked up situation he got dealt.

Edit: Nope, whoops, thinking about his brother.
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 02:01 PM)

i think there's so many pe/ople that are apathetic towards the political climate and they get labeled so harshly because of it.

Anyway. On the topic of this I agree that it's probably counter-productive to include in the garbage heap of Nazis and the alt-right anyone who doesn't identify as liberal or democrat or whatever. My coworker doesn't identify with any political ideology despite agreeing with most liberal stances. The reason for that seems to be that he doesn't want to be conflated with any of them because he's from a very conservative household but has very liberal ideas. So it seems to be his way to just lay low and avoid conflict. That said when somebody who claims otherwise apathy to politics says something bigoted then I'm going to call it what it is.
Maxim726X
(10-11-2017, 02:02 PM)

Mostly because everything I've heard from him makes him sound like a dumbass.

Nothing to do with political leanings.
cackhyena
(10-11-2017, 02:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Maxim726X

Mostly because everything I've heard from him makes him sound like a dumbass.

Nothing to do with political leanings.

He says plenty that lines up with any sensible liberal's views. He says dumb shit too. Pretending the split is in favor of the dumb shit is ...not paying attention? Idk.
NoblesseOblige
(10-11-2017, 02:08 PM)

Originally Posted by cackhyena

He says plenty that lines up with any sensible liberal's views. He says dumb shit too. Pretending the split is in favor of the dumb shit is ...not paying attention? Idk.

I mean I've met people who agree with me on 99% of issues but then go and make that all irrelevant by believing something super bigoted. The split doesn't matter.
RoyalFool
Banned
(10-11-2017, 02:11 PM)
Joe is awesome, most of his points and opinions are super rational and I've heard plenty of podcasts where be changed his stance when confronted with strong contrary evidence.

Love his podcast
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 02:17 PM)
I think some of you put too much weight into what joe says. He's an entertainer and nothing else. If you want facts and studies he's not the man to listen to. Personally I don't ask my friends for sources and links when I'm shooting the shit with them. That sounds more like a debate than talking with your friends imo.

He also has no responsibility, intelectually or otherwise to be accurate or even moral. That's not the point of the show I don't think.

It's a podcast. Don't listen if you don't like him :)
Scarecrow
(10-11-2017, 02:19 PM)

Not all of us are as cool with intellectual dishonesty as you seem to be.

Saying "I believe I read" or "I think I read" is just a convenient way to repackage your crappy ideas in a way that you can deflect when they come back on you.

I haven't listened to Rogan for a while, but to me he's never come across as trying to be duplicitous. Sounds like you're insinuating he's intentionally trying to spread dishonest rhetoric.

Any normal person would say "I think/believe I read this..." all the time. No one remembers everything they see, hear, or read. And Rogan mentioned all the time that he doesn't remember perfectly. If I met anyone who tried claiming perfect knowledge or recall, I wouldn't take them seriously for very long.
schwabdizzle
Banned
(10-11-2017, 02:20 PM)

I think some of you put too much weight into what joe says. He's an entertainer and nothing else. If you want facts and studies he's not the man to listen to. Personally I don't ask my friends for sources and links when I'm shooting the shit with them. That sounds more like a debate than talking with your friends imo.

He also has no responsibility, intelectually or otherwise to be accurate or even moral. That's not the point of the show I don't think.

I feel like his podcast are more interviews than debates. There are some great guests and he covers a variety if different topics which I tend to like.
Greigor The Fellhand
(10-11-2017, 02:20 PM)
Rogan is a idiot, I don't know why anyone listens to the crap he has to say.

He's always "both sides are the same" "dems bad repubs bad libertarians good"

"conspiracy theories this, conspiracy theories that"

dude just talks random talking points and pushes for dumb shit he pretends to understand.
kitsunelaine
Banned
(10-11-2017, 02:21 PM)

He also has no responsibility [...] to be moral.

What separates him from the rest of us?
LegendofDragoonLives
(10-11-2017, 02:21 PM)

This is half the issue issue. The other is that they only want him to invite people from the far left to join his podcast because people on gaf have their brains start to go haywire when someone has a completely different pov. Joe's topics are always a fun read lol.

Thanks for the link OP, I'll check it out.
HStallion
Now what's the next step in your master plan?
(10-11-2017, 02:23 PM)

The bolded seems a little laughable considering a lot of the issues with so many prominent youtubers, streamers, and so on who are also not at all responsible, intellectually or otherwise, to be accurate or moral when they drop their alt right bull shit on their millions of fans. Would you be saying this if Joe was dropping some alt right fuckery and backing it up with "I seen a study" to back it up to his million+ fans? I hope not.
biggersmaller
Banned
(10-11-2017, 02:28 PM)
Joe Garrelli (News Radio) was a muscular physically aggressive conspiracy theorist who against all odds ended-up being great on the mic. The only thing missing was that 80% of his dialogue wasn't about drugs.
backflip10019
(10-11-2017, 02:31 PM)
Joe is entertaining. He hosts a podcast, not Meet the Press.
Enter The 36 Chambers
(10-11-2017, 02:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

Rogan is a idiot, I don't know why anyone listens to the crap he has to say.

He's always "both sides are the same" "dems bad repubs bad libertarians good"

"conspiracy theories this, conspiracy theories that"

dude just talks random talking points and pushes for dumb shit he pretends to understand.

The irony of this post is clearly you not listening to his stuff because you're way off lmao
cackhyena
(10-11-2017, 03:19 PM)

I mean I've met people who agree with me on 99% of issues but then go and make that all irrelevant by believing something super bigoted. The split doesn't matter.

Has he said something super bigoted I'm unaware of? I'm not subscribed so there's plenty I don't bother with. Regardless, it's less about him anyway. He gets interesting guests on. I'm there for them.
bionic77
Please, don't ask ME about Michael Jordan!
(10-11-2017, 03:24 PM)
Rogan was good when he stuck to comedy.

I don't care to listen to his political views. He often seems to give a lot of shitty right wing assholes too much attention and time.
blakep267
(10-11-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by cackhyena

Has he said something super bigoted I'm unaware of? I'm not subscribed so there's plenty I don't bother with. Regardless, it's less about him anyway. He gets interesting guests on. I'm there for them.

I don't know if he has said anything but he'll allow guests to come on and say super bigoted stuff in the guise of conversation but instead of challenging them he'll nod or say "maybe I don't understand this but it seems like ...".

I'm fine with Joe being an idiot. But then stick to idiot things. Don't try and step into intellectual topics and give the viewpoint of an idiot
MysteryQuesadilla
(10-11-2017, 03:30 PM)
Rogan has a tendency to hint at buy-in to weird conspiracy theories that don't make any sense.
bionic77
Please, don't ask ME about Michael Jordan!
(10-11-2017, 03:31 PM)

Originally Posted by blakep267

I don't know if he has said anything but he'll allow guests to come on and say super bigoted stuff in the guise of conversation but instead of challenging them he'll nod or say "maybe I don't understand this but it seems like ...".

I'm fine with Joe being an idiot. But then stick to idiot things. Don't try and step into intellectual topics and give the viewpoint of an idiot

Joe has also been a big critic of the 'social justice warriors' and other 'leftists' for the past few years, while seemingly not been as big of a critic of shitbag rightwing assholes who are tearing the country apart. I used to listen to his podcast all the time.

I didn't mind his bullshit criticism of SJWs before Trump got elected but since he got elected none of that stuff is funny to me anymore and I have zero tolerance for people like that.
Curious Puppy
Banned
(10-11-2017, 03:33 PM)

Originally Posted by Sho_Nuff82

Itís called a logical fallacy, Rogan doesnít know how to have arguments without them. Heís an idiot.