• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Effect
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:09 AM)
Effect's Avatar
Suppose to be 15 episodes total with a break starting in November and the show coming back in January.

Of course they're going to see how it goes but early positive buzz, them feeling confident they might get a season 2 announcement sooner rather then later. I guess it depends on if Netflix is happy too.

Yeah the show went through a number of delays early on. Fuller was also doing American Gods at the same time and that got done first. According to some interviews he was late with scripts as well. Spreading yourself thin will do that. That's really all we know about the issues they were having. I imagine CBS was/is worried about it doing well. It being streaming only is a risk and a gamble to help build their All Access service.

I would take a lot of the concerns and issues you might find online with a grain of salt too. There is one youtube channel that likes spreading rumors only they seem to come across and even outright lies. Sadly some that have issues with this show even existing readily believe the channel.
Kevin
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:16 AM)
Kevin's Avatar
From those that have seen the first 2 episodes (some 3) I have seen nearly no negative comments at all. Not even small stuff.

I don't expect this show to be perfect out the gate. None of the Star Trek shows were 100% awesome on day one. I do think we will get a really solid first season and possibly a really amazing season 2 or 3 if the show performs well enough. I think the show is going to deliver in a big way and once the entire season is out, I think people will ultimately be pretty satisfied with the show.
Somnia
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:17 AM)
Somnia's Avatar
Any chance it shows up on Netflix US after it's done?
Kevin
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:18 AM)
Kevin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnia

Any chance it shows up on Netflix US after it's done?

Probably not.
BeardyChan
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:19 AM)
BeardyChan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Somnia

Any chance it shows up on Netflix US after it's done?

As long as CBS All Access exists I don't think so.
Effect
Member
(09-24-2017, 03:27 AM)
Effect's Avatar
Press Kit for the show is in wild.

http://discovery.trekcore.com/galler...lbum=58&page=1

Image of the Discovery that was included.

Teren_Kanan
Member
(09-24-2017, 04:17 AM)
Do we know if this show is going to be more serialized? Or more Standard "New Alien race of the week" like Previous treks?
SRG01
Member
(09-24-2017, 04:29 AM)
SRG01's Avatar

Originally Posted by SCHUEY F1

I think CTV is supposed to air the pilot.

That's good enough for me at this point in time. No sense in investing more effort until I know if the series is actually good.
Master Thespian
Member
(09-24-2017, 04:30 AM)
Master Thespian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teren_Kanan

Do we know if this show is going to be more serialized? Or more Standard "New Alien race of the week" like Previous treks?

http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...ding-to-one-ep
aHebrewMenagerie
Member
(09-24-2017, 04:46 AM)
aHebrewMenagerie's Avatar

Originally Posted by Effect

Press Kit for the show is in wild.

http://discovery.trekcore.com/galler...lbum=58&page=1

Image of the Discovery that was included.

Are those blue bussard collectors? FUUUHHHHHHH
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 05:39 AM)
Does this go live at 9 PM PST tonight?
Smiles and Cries
back to my old
nipples and tits
(09-24-2017, 06:19 AM)
Smiles and Cries's Avatar
So I guess I should sign up for the all access thing later today
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 07:08 AM)
Oh looks like it debuts tomorrow NIGHT.

This should be added to the OP:

When can you watch Star Trek: Discovery?

Star Trek: Discovery will air its first episode of the series on Sunday, Sept. 24 at 8:30/7:30c (time approximate following NFL Football and 60 Minutes) with a special broadcast premiere on the CBS Television Network. The episode will also be available to stream live and on-demand on CBS All Access.

Then, the second episode of Star Trek: Discovery will be made available on the CBS All Access that same night following the broadcast premiere.

After premiere night, all-new episodes will be made available on-demand weekly on Sundays after 8:30 ET/5:30 PT, exclusively for CBS All Access subscribers in the United States.

Also be sure to check out Star Trek: Discovery's companion after-show, After Trek, which will be available exclusively to CBS All Access subscribers on Sunday, Sept. 24 at 11 PM ET / 8 PM PT, following CBS All Access' launch of the first two episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

Then, starting Sunday, Oct. 1st, all subsequent After Trek episodes will be available to stream live at 9:30 PM ET following new episodes of Star Trek: Discovery.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/star-trek-d...bs-all-access/
lastplayed
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:02 AM)
lastplayed's Avatar

Originally Posted by aHebrewMenagerie

Are those blue bussard collectors? FUUUHHHHHHH

Well we've had black, red and blue. At least they're not green.

Looks like the bridge displays are showing the original Discovery design with shorter nacelles. Oh dear.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-24-2017, 11:04 AM)
Slayven's Avatar
Star Fleet has the worse design in ships, the Defiant is the only good and practical looking one
CrimzonSamurai
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:09 AM)
CrimzonSamurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayven

Star Fleet has the worse design in ships, the Defiant is the only good and practical looking one

The Sovereign class is sexy AF.
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-24-2017, 11:11 AM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrimzonSamurai

The Sovereign class is sexy AF.

Nacelles stuck to the main hull with sticks will always be a stupid design decision , here is a vital part of the ship, lets barely attach it to the ship and make it easy target
CorrisD
badchoiceboobies
(09-24-2017, 11:25 AM)
CorrisD's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrimzonSamurai

The Sovereign class is sexy AF.

My man, love me that Sovereign class, easily one of the best looking Star Trek ships.





Originally Posted by Effect

Press Kit for the show is in wild.

http://discovery.trekcore.com/galler...lbum=58&page=1

Image of the Discovery that was included.

The Discovery looks like someone really liked the Ralph McQuarrie Phase 2 concept but also thought the Vengeance from Into Darkness was a design too sexy to pass up and leave as a one movie ship. So they had a baby.

+

=

i-Lo
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:39 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar
Anyone know if this will be on Canadian Netflix tomorrow?
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Effect


Image of the Discovery that was included.

I wonder if the inner circle rotates.
SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:41 AM)

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Anyone know if this will be on Canadian Netflix tomorrow?

Go on Netflix and search for Discovery. If itís there itíll say when its available.
jb1234
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:42 AM)
jb1234's Avatar

Originally Posted by CrimzonSamurai

The Sovereign class is sexy AF.

The exterior of the Sovereign class looks badass but I'm not really a fan of the interior designs. Just feels very stark and uninviting (at least compared to the 1701-D).
Paganmoon
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:43 AM)
Paganmoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Not

I wonder if the inner circle rotates.

like this?

SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:45 AM)

Originally Posted by jb1234

The exterior of the Sovereign class looks badass but I'm not really a fan of the interior designs. Just feels very stark and uninviting (at least compared to the 1701-D).

Itís not a family ship
i-Lo
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:46 AM)
i-Lo's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

Go on Netflix and search for Discovery. If itís there itíll say when its available.

Not there. Second class Netflix Canada strikes again.
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Paganmoon

like this?

No, the inner circle of the saucer. You see how there's a gap between it and the outer ring, right?
Paganmoon
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:49 AM)
Paganmoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Not

No, the inner circle of the saucer. You see how there's a gap between it and the outer ring, right?

There are bridges between the inner and outer circle though, and they look pretty static. Besides what function would it have?
Edit: Then again, what function does having it split into an outer and inner circle have anyway, so yeah, maybe it can spin :)
Mr. Luchador
I played NeoGAF Bingo and all I got was this tag
(09-24-2017, 11:50 AM)
Mr. Luchador's Avatar
What's the rule on show spoilers?
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 11:52 AM)

Originally Posted by Paganmoon

There are bridges between the inner and outer circle though, and they look pretty static. Besides what function would it have?
Edit: Then again, what function does having it split into an outer and inner circle have anyway, so yeah, maybe it can spin :)

I don't know-- I'm sure there are logistic advantages to having a portion of the ship that can move around by itself.
Paganmoon
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:52 AM)
Paganmoon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Luchador

What's the rule on show spoilers?

If it's anything like other show OT:s, anything aired is ok, previews need to be tagged (iirc), and leaks shouldn't be discussed at all.
Meus Renaissance
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:54 AM)
Meus Renaissance's Avatar
The Discovery looks bad, and so does the CGI of it for the promos. Enterprise, a show made 17 years ago, looks to have better visual models. Why is this? Everything else on the show looks to have excellent production values except the ship.
Biggest-Geek-Ever
Member
(09-24-2017, 11:54 AM)
Biggest-Geek-Ever's Avatar

Originally Posted by Slayven

Nacelles stuck to the main hull with sticks will always be a stupid design decision , here is a vital part of the ship, lets barely attach it to the ship and make it easy target

Better or worse design than sticking the bridge right on the fucking top?
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-24-2017, 11:57 AM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by Biggest-Geek-Ever

Better or worse design than sticking the bridge right on the fucking top?

Better, the nacahelle gets shot off you just stuck. The bridge, one lucky shot and La forge or Crusher is the captain

To be fair they still had the battle bridge
CD93
Junior Member
(09-24-2017, 11:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Meus Renaissance

The Discovery looks bad, and so does the CGI of it for the promos. Enterprise, a show made 17 years ago, looks to have better visual models. Why is this? Everything else on the show looks to have excellent production values except the ship.

The trailers have shown so little of the Discovery bar, like, one shot of it jumping to warp. Previews from the premiere have also indicated the CGI has been improved from the promos - as is to be expected. Remember that original concept video that people were freaking out over? Things change. Weíll finally get to judge it properly soon enough.
SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-24-2017, 12:02 PM)
TrekMovie published more preview coverage including a link to a different element that might prove more divisive. Entirely spoiler tagging this bit and ask that others do the same. Itís not a Story leak or spoiler:

They drop F-bombs in Discovery.

I know that weíve had Lily Sloane shout bullshit and Kirk in Trek 09 utter the same word but this feels like the first time the F-bomb hit the airwaves on Trek. Iím pretty sure purists are going to go crazy over this.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/23/new...-fit-and-more/


I canít wait so see this (tomorrow morning)
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(09-24-2017, 12:04 PM)
Slayven's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

TrekMovie published more preview coverage including a link to a different element that might prove more divisive. Entirely spoiler tagging this bit and ask that others do the same. Itís not a Story leak or spoiler:

They drop F-bombs in Discovery.

I know that weíve had Lily Sloane shout bullshit and Kirk in Trek 09 utter the same word but this feels like the first time the F-bomb hit the airwaves on Trek. Iím pretty sure purists are going to go crazy over this.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/23/new...-fit-and-more/


I canít wait so see this (tomorrow morning)

Short in the Universal Translator
RS4-
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:04 PM)
RS4-'s Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Anyone know if this will be on Canadian Netflix tomorrow?

It's on Space and Crave for us.
brian577
Banned
(09-24-2017, 12:06 PM)
brian577's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

TrekMovie published more preview coverage including a link to a different element that might prove more divisive. Entirely spoiler tagging this bit and ask that others do the same. Itís not a Story leak or spoiler:

They drop F-bombs in Discovery.

I know that weíve had Lily Sloane shout bullshit and Kirk in Trek 09 utter the same word but this feels like the first time the F-bomb hit the airwaves on Trek. Iím pretty sure purists are going to go crazy over this.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/23/new...-fit-and-more/


I canít wait so see this (tomorrow morning)

Swearing (unless it's done in the "unenlightened" past always came as cringe worthy to me)

Exhibit A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrm8TV7K4zo
Meus Renaissance
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:08 PM)
Meus Renaissance's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

TrekMovie published more preview coverage including a link to a different element that might prove more divisive. Entirely spoiler tagging this bit and ask that others do the same. It’s not a Story leak or spoiler:

They drop F-bombs in Discovery.

I know that we’ve had Lily Sloane shout bullshit and Kirk in Trek 09 utter the same word but this feels like the first time the F-bomb hit the airwaves on Trek. I’m pretty sure purists are going to go crazy over this.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/23/new...-fit-and-more/


I can’t wait so see this (tomorrow morning)

Hmm. I don't want this.
rocketskates
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:13 PM)
rocketskates's Avatar
Words are words. Depending on the situation/scene they can work. It's all about the situation.
Succinct Verbosity
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:13 PM)
Depends on the 'purists'. An F bomb doesn't strike me as any more divisive than something as crazy Section 31. The only thing I might take issue with is that younger viweees could be alienated, but having said that Star Trek has always felt like a franchise for adults to me, especially TNG and onwards.
Jason Frost
(09-24-2017, 12:18 PM)
Jason Frost's Avatar

Originally Posted by i-Lo

Anyone know if this will be on Canadian Netflix tomorrow?

It will not.

Bell bought the rights of every Star Trek TV shows for Canada.

First episode of Discovery will air on CTV and Space, then the second episode (and the rest of the series) will air on Space.

And for the streaming rights in Canada, it is Bell again with CraveTV.
Not
Banned
(09-24-2017, 12:27 PM)
Maybe they realized that the way we're going, even babies will say fuck in the future like it ain't no thing
Kevin
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:38 PM)
Kevin's Avatar
Can you watch the regular CBS tv on the all Access app? I would like to watch the premiere via CBS All-Access at 8:30. Anyone know if the regular cbs channel can run through CBS All-Access?
derFeef
lil' bit tasty
(09-24-2017, 12:40 PM)
Glad this comes to Netflix in Europe just one day later.
I hope this is good! I miss good Star Trek so much.
siddx
Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
(09-24-2017, 12:44 PM)
siddx's Avatar
Lol, people swear, who gives a flying fuck.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(09-24-2017, 12:45 PM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kevin

Can you watch the regular CBS tv on the all Access app? I would like to watch the premiere via CBS All-Access at 8:30. Anyone know if the regular cbs channel can run through CBS All-Access?

What do you mean, like you want to watch the episode at the same time as the tv broadcast? It'll be available on the app the exact same time as the OTA broadcast, 8:30pm Eastern
Kevin
Member
(09-24-2017, 12:46 PM)
Kevin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Grizzlyjin

What do you mean, like you want to watch the episode at the same time as the tv broadcast? It'll be available on the app the exact same time as the OTA broadcast, 8:30pm Eastern

Yup that's what I meant. I don't get regular channels but have the app. Awesome!
SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-24-2017, 12:48 PM)

Originally Posted by siddx

Lol, people swear, who gives a flying fuck.

I donít. But purists will.
siddx
Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
(09-24-2017, 01:03 PM)
siddx's Avatar

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

I donít. But purists will.

I've seen every episode and every movie of trek multiple times over. I have a Starfleet insignia tattooed on my body. I'm a pretty damn hardcore fan of trek.
But people who call themselves purists can eat shit, nothing worse than someone who can't accept change and wants to roll around on the ground having a tantrum because their thing is growing and moving on without them.

Thread Tools