• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Martinski43
(11-09-2017, 01:58 PM)
Somehow i managed to make both my HDD on my PC unallocated, no idea on how or why i did that.

Anyway i have no idea on how to recover my lost data now and i have tons of old photos and stuff on those 2 drives that i dont want to loose forever. What am i to do? Have tried a software called Partition Wizard that just crash on startup.
Martinski43
(11-09-2017, 02:14 PM)
Found a software called EaseUS that might just work. We'll see it's scanning the drive now.
Ecto311
(11-09-2017, 02:38 PM)
Man I have an external drive that's in that we situation. If you find anything that works and isn't 1k to use let us know. I have been looking for almost a year and found a few things through Reddit but can't get them to work. My whole pictures drive just partially partitioned and unallocated luckily for me most of it is on cloud services in some way but not all.
mackattk
(11-09-2017, 04:20 PM)
https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware...ml#post2386144

The easus thing... looks like if might be able to recover files, but it won't retain folder information.

I would also try out partition magic.

Meaning all the files will have no directory structure, and be put in a folder called "Lost NTFS files" or something to that effect.

If you have an external drive, I recommend installing macrium reflect or acronis true image and make an image of your drive. In that case if anything fails you can still recover the image and try again through another program.

If you don't care about directory structure and just want images and nothing else.. photorec worked well for me on corrupted microsd cards..

Take your time and research. If this data is really important to you I strongly recommend creating an image of the drive so you have something to come back to if things get out of hand.
chadderbox77
(11-09-2017, 06:58 PM)
You will need a blank cd/ an external hdd or flash drive, or two flash drives

Can you get to another PC temporarily to burn a cd? (Does your existing pc have a cd/dvd drive?) If so, you can download a hiren's boot cd
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/ and burn that to cd. Or you can download rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/ and make a portable hiren's boot cd on flash drive (providing you have a spare flash drive)

You then enter bios on startup (usually f2 or delete key, sometimes f12 for boot options will work - depends on the model of pc you have) and boot the Hiren cd.

From there you will launch what's called Mini xp, it runs a mini version of windows xp from the disc, and you can use that to go into your old hdd and save all your pics etc. You must have the target flash drive or external HDD plugged into the pc first before you start Mini Xp, or else it won't be seen.
Martinski43
(11-09-2017, 09:56 PM)
Had to pay some hard earned cash for a EaseUS license but it did the trick, was managed to recover the most important stuff like photos etc from my first drive. Now it's scanning my 3 TB drive which takes 8 hrs.. but anyway the software worked.. And didnt cost $1000, but $80.
One Eyed Willy
(11-09-2017, 11:02 PM)
Just a friendly reminder to everyone, that your data doesn't exist unless its in 3 places. Local HDD, local backup, and somewhere off premise (cloud). Backblaze offers unlimited cloud storage for $5/mo.
Agent Icebeezy
Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
(11-09-2017, 11:34 PM)

Originally Posted by One Eyed Willy

Just a friendly reminder to everyone, that your data doesn't exist unless its in 3 places. Local HDD, local backup, and somewhere off premise (cloud). Backblaze offers unlimited cloud storage for $5/mo.

I'm going through it now. A 8tb hdd crash is not fun. Most was backed up, bought an 16tb NAS drive with raid 1 for backup.