• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

TheThinWhiteDuke
Member
(10-14-2017, 06:15 PM)
TheThinWhiteDuke's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ambient80

Do the new voice lines for Zenís skin not work on console? Iím using him constantly and havenít heard them :(

I've played about 10 hours with him since getting the skin (PS4) and haven't heard any changed lines yet.
AlexFlame116
Member
(10-14-2017, 06:20 PM)
AlexFlame116's Avatar
I guess that's a no on the help then?

Originally Posted by Nepenthe

I won't say that the salt doesn't get to me as a new player because, you know, I'd like for once to exist in a fandom that isn't constantly bitching (regardless of the individual validity of any one claim) and I obviously missed the honeymoon period, but I'll agree that I'm always enjoying my time with Overwatch. I guess it helps that I'm new; I never experienced the vanilla version of this game so I have no context for the developmental changes. To me, particularly in the context of being a Lucio main, it's always a mad scramble and crazy dust-up for the objective. Regroups and pushes, break-offs to kill that annoying flanker, ultimate abilities popping off everywhere, the rage of a fucking cheap-ass Junkrat- I call it the MvC2 of shooters for a reason. It's a hot, broken yet lovable mess, and it makes me laugh more often than not. The lore and characterization are another layer on the cake, helped a lot by the antics of the actors behind the scenes. I just honestly really love this game and I hope I don't get to the point where I utterly resent it as much as more seasoned veterans here.

To bookend this, here's a Lucio I drew on a napkin at a Nissan dealership. I love this hype-ass frog so fucking much you don't even know:

I've been playing the game since the beta and I still greatly enjoy it. Love the game. But I'll admit I don't frequent Overwatch threads on GAF for the reasons you've mentioned. Instead I only read them when it's an event thread.
Nepenthe
Member
(10-14-2017, 06:22 PM)
Nepenthe's Avatar

Originally Posted by Incendiary

I enjoy Overwatch whenever I play in a group with other GAFers. That's always my peak enjoyment regardless of whether we win or lose. I tilt a lot less frequently when I'm in a group for whatever reason.

It's the solo queue BS that always drives me up the wall. People who stay out of team chat, making it impossible to strategize. Everybody in team chat comes up with a plan, and person who refuses to talk in team chat goes the other way and dies immediately. That sort of thing every other game. I think also they need to revamp competitive and it's matchmaking because right now it's ridiculously off-balance. I can never put a win streak of more than 3 together, ever, but the game is totally willing to put me on shit teams for 8-10 games in a row. I had an experience yesterday where a kid said he was a Mercy main, but felt like playing Tracer this game, and when someone asked him to play Mercy he said "nope." Which I don't have a problem with, except then I went Mercy and the kid spent the entire time bitching that I wasn't good at support. It's that kind of attitude in the player base that detracts from the experience.

The game itself is still the best and most addictive multiplayer game I've played in years. If Blizzard would get its shit together; make some sort of mandatory tutorial explaining basic things like teamwork, positioning, team fights, etc. - all the things that are required for enjoyable games beyond the usual FPS multiplayer - and iron out the toxicity problems, we'd have a good game.

I'm a QP solo queue fiend for a host of reasons: I know full and well it's going to be stupid-ass chaos, and there's no rank or anything to lose in QP or anything, so it's easy to go with the flow of a match. Just as well, I know I'm guaranteed a gold medal in something because yay for solo healing, so any complete and utter failure of cooperation in any one match doesn't get to me too much. Also, I use it as a testing ground to better my DJ Froggo playing- positioning, aiming, proper speedboosting, wall-riding escapes and contests. With the utter lack of standards in QP, I'm always being tested in something, and I think it's paying off.

I only start tilting if I feel targeted by a Junkrat (fucking hate that burst-damaging ratfuck felon) or if someone is blatantly throwing by emoting in the spawn or something. But more often then not, when I'm solo queuing I've got games that range from competent to extraordinary. I can also tell usually when I've already lost from the initial team comp anyway, so I go in with the mindset to get my exp and call it a day (which makes sudden synergy from off-beat comps that much more exciting and surprising.) I don't know; I'm just here to throw a dance party on the payload.

It's weird too. As mentioned, I have my best time in QP which people claim is the biggest nightmare. But I agree comp needs work; lost all four of the placement matches I've tried this season and it's usually with more reasonable team comps. We just keep fucking choking, and in an environment that's naturally, well, competitive, where I'm gunning for a win to the best of my ability, the losses are far more disappointing and angering. Doesn't help that something is on the line; like, I don't even feel like finishing because I know my rank's probably gonna be garbo and I REALLY don't want to have to make the climb to where I know I should be.

I also agree with the toxicity. I haven't had a lot of run-ins with the shit the higher level players put up with, but the occasional shithead still bums me the fuck out. Like, seriously, I don't get how fandoms form around franchises that are all about inclusiveness and love and friendship and shit and then turn out to be fucking assholes. A better reporting system is needed last year. I want to know that the little kid who talked about rape or the guy who targeted me for playing as a black guy will get banned immediately when I report them.

Originally Posted by Chmpocalypse

Wow, I love your art style. Really cool!

Thank you! He's all I draw now. He's helped me master drawing decent-looking humans and shit. Lucio be changing lives.
Ambient80
Member
(10-14-2017, 06:38 PM)
Ambient80's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheThinWhiteDuke

I've played about 10 hours with him since getting the skin (PS4) and haven't heard any changed lines yet.

FeelsBadMan

I want people to experience nothingness!!!

Edit: I tweeted at Blizzard CS and they almost immediately responded saying that itís a bug on console versions, and will be fixed soon!
Dreams-Visions
I'm mad as hell but this sandwich is delicious
(10-14-2017, 06:46 PM)
Dreams-Visions's Avatar
oh hai new thread
Orochinagis
Member
(10-14-2017, 07:08 PM)
Orochinagis's Avatar
Didnt noticed With Mercy have specific lines on her, so cool
TrueBlue
Member
(10-14-2017, 07:29 PM)
TrueBlue's Avatar
Lovely little details on the new Junkenstein's Revenge.

Just watched my brother on XB1 fail at the last hurdle - where Witch Mercy revives the bosses - on Expert difficulty. Once all the team had died, this text chat appeared, and has been on the side ever since:

"The Summoner: gg :|"

Then when the vote cards came in, the Summoner had her own card for votes as opposed to one for each team member - one poor sap didn't even get the card.

Me and my brother were in amused disbelief.
Paltheos
Member
(10-14-2017, 08:03 PM)
Paltheos's Avatar

Originally Posted by Anne

I will say that most of the people I know and see who have turned on OW tend to be higher ranked players. The higher up you get, the more miserable the experience becomes for most. It was the opposite early on, but things changed for a lot of reasons.

I honestly don't think it's the worst game ever even with my own personal problems with it. Just the experience of getting into and finding a good game is actually a nightmare.

I disagree. I played in platinum for a long time and now, sitting several hundred points higher in mid-high diamond, I'm enjoying the game more than I did back then. Of course, there are throwers and DPS-only superheroes who don't want to play with the team sometimes, but on average coordination and play is better up here.

Of course, I've also improved (that's why I'm higher) but I still feel play from my teammates is better on average.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(10-14-2017, 08:14 PM)
antitrop's Avatar
Competitive is generally more enjoyable the higher the SR you're playing at, but each rank does come with its own set of specific issues you won't see much of in other ranks.

GM has its weirdos that ruin games, but it's not like I want to go back to playing in Gold or anything.
Skii
Member
(10-14-2017, 08:17 PM)
Skii's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

Competitive is generally more enjoyable the higher the SR you're playing at, but each rank does come with its own set of specific issues you won't see much of in other ranks.

GM has its weirdos that ruin games, but it's not like I want to go back to playing in Gold or anything.

I'd say the higher up I've gone, the worst the game has got. Never used to receive death threats in gold. The good old days.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(10-14-2017, 08:22 PM)
antitrop's Avatar

Originally Posted by Skii

I'd say the higher up I've gone, the worst the game has got. Never used to receive death threats in gold. The good old days.

Actually, yeah I would say there is a dip in game quality in Diamond/Master, and then it goes back up once you get to GM.

Diamond/Master is such a strange place of lots of people who are good enough to be GM, but hold themselves back (usually by being fucking tiltlords). I think it's that "so close, yet so far" feeling of being in Masters that just puts people on a hair trigger to protect their egos.
LiK
(10-14-2017, 08:24 PM)
LiK's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

Actually, yeah I would say there is a dip in game quality in Diamond/Master, and then it goes back up once you get to GM.

Diamond/Master is such a strange place of lots of people who are good enough to be GM, but hold themselves back (usually by being fucking tiltlords). I think it's that "so close, yet so far" feeling of being in Masters that just puts people on a hair trigger to protect their egos.

Tiltlords is a good term.
Paltheos
Member
(10-14-2017, 08:55 PM)
Paltheos's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

Competitive is generally more enjoyable the higher the SR you're playing at, but each rank does come with its own set of specific issues you won't see much of in other ranks.

GM has its weirdos that ruin games, but it's not like I want to go back to playing in Gold or anything.

I think it's more that, unless you're a technical god and can Widow trickshot like it ain't no thang (for example), the higher your rank, by necessity the more aware you become. In general. It's easier to play the game yourself and easier to play with others as you surround yourself with like-experienced players. Low-ranks just don't know enough about much of anything. They become frustrated about losses they don't understand and because they don't see the mistakes they're making blame everything else.

I shout this out every once in a while, but to everyone bitching about their rank, "I'm in silver and my teams suck! Why am I down here?":

Bro, I guarantee that you're part of the problem. How well can you flex? Evaluate your hero's synergy with the rest of your team? Communicate with your team? How technically skillful are you? How consciously aware are you of the pros and cons of your position at any given time? Checking your flanks? Protecting your teammates? Identifying the toughest obstacles poised by the enemy team? Using ults effectively? I could go on.

These questions run through my head constantly as I play, and the more I play, the more I think, the more questions I come up with and the more equipped I become to answer and respond to them. These aren't things I thought about so much or as well when I was in platinum, and I'm sure in retrospect that allot of the choices I ended up making (and others I make now) without thinking or knowing contributed to my losses.

In short, get good. Identify your strengths and weaknesses, widen your hero pool or become a god (uncompromisngly, and that's critical if you're OTPing) at what you're good at, and develop your game sense.
ohkay
Member
(10-14-2017, 09:40 PM)
ohkay's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

Actually, yeah I would say there is a dip in game quality in Diamond/Master, and then it goes back up once you get to GM.

Diamond/Master is such a strange place of lots of people who are good enough to be GM, but hold themselves back (usually by being fucking tiltlords). I think it's that "so close, yet so far" feeling of being in Masters that just puts people on a hair trigger to protect their egos.

Not that I've been to Masters/GM, but diamond was the worst overall experience I've had with Overwatch, and a large reason why I don't play anymore. When the games were good, they were good, but these seemed to happen not that often. There was almost always something wrong whether it be throwers, GM/Master smurfs, otps, extremely toxic players, etc. and these were far more prevalent than my games in gold and plat that it drastically lowered my enjoyment of the game
Anne
Member
(10-14-2017, 09:49 PM)
Anne's Avatar
I should say that things tend to get a lot more real a lot quicker in some of the higher ranked stuff. Match quality can improve, but people get a lot more abusive and a lot more tilt heavy in some ways. It's like that in most games really. People get really weird when rank and ego are on the line. I tend to think it's especially bad in Overwatch because one or two losses can set you back on tons of progress.
Kysen
Member
(10-14-2017, 09:51 PM)
Kysen's Avatar
Appropriate OT title imo

Guess which team won?
Draw! with half the players playing off roles no pushes worked. Edit: even funnier I was a mercy main s1-s3, the match maker must know.
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(10-14-2017, 10:39 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zomba13

You need a team to be on the ball though, and most of the time they aren't unless you are playing with friends and actually communicate. Other than that Roadhog isn't much of a threat and just free ult charge. Unless he's by a pit, then he's still good.

I miss my sweet, perfect pig boy who could actually kill things he hooked.

Originally Posted by Karsticles

Oh, definitely. But in terms of tanking ability I don't see him as a superior pick.

I also think that Orisa's RMB is kind of a "mini hook" - I pull people from behind cover all the time to kill them, and when my team is competent I feel like I just landed a hook at mid-range or closer. And it's MUCH safer, plus her actual gun presence and shield are helpful to the team.

I think Orisa and the other tanks have to be more reliant on their team than Roadhog to he successful considering his healing buffs and quicker solo kills potential. Each tank has a place imo.
Hobbestetrician
Member
(10-14-2017, 10:59 PM)
Hobbestetrician's Avatar
Have spent 3-4 hours the past two days just losing. Only 2 wins that whole time. Doesn't matter which mode (only did 2 Comp games because of the losing), I am going to lose, I don't get it. Most of that time was spent in Mystery Heroes, which you would think because of the random nature of it that I would get some wins but nope, just get steamrolled every single time. I know I am not a pro player but I am certainly not that bad. Is the matchmaking that garbage?

The only reason I kept playing was because I wanted to get some loot boxes but, you guessed it, the boxes had jack shit in them. I have to stop torturing myself, haven't been having fun in quite some time. Save me, Odyssey.
rulerk1
Member
(10-14-2017, 11:13 PM)
rulerk1's Avatar
ugh they need to do something about McCree. I am so tired of these horrible McCree players who cant get any head shots but cant kill with his annoying ult and the FB/FTH combo. increase the amount need for his ult pls. And then he is so quiet you cant hear his footsteps /salt opinion
icecold1983
Member
(10-14-2017, 11:24 PM)
i find the game gets worse and worse the lower in rank you go. but i also dont care what people say as long as they play well
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(10-14-2017, 11:24 PM)
antitrop's Avatar
Zen's Cultist skin changes the "The Iris embraces you" voice line to "The Iris consumes you". It also changes "Peace and blessings be upon you all" to "Curses and madness be upon you all".

These are the voice lines you select from the wheel, not the random ones.
Berserking Guts
Member
(10-14-2017, 11:34 PM)
Berserking Guts's Avatar
Nice, almost have all the new skins. I haven't spent any money on the loot boxes since the very first summer event (biggest purchasing regret ever, one that I'll never repeat) and for every event since I've pretty much gotten everything I needed.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(10-14-2017, 11:46 PM)
antitrop's Avatar
I got the Mercy equivalent of a Torbjorn POTG
King Gilga
Member
(10-14-2017, 11:52 PM)
King Gilga's Avatar
I decided to weeb out and try the japanese voices to mix things up and tbh besides kotomine doomfist, which while cool still doesn't really gel, I'm not really feeling them at all. Jap widowmaker's oohlala and mei's sorry sorry sorry (read Ara ara and gomen gomen gomen) are great tho. Changed back to english after a couple games.
Prelude.
Member
(10-15-2017, 01:17 AM)
Prelude.'s Avatar
I'm playing the "don't play tank or healer in qp until the team switches and win" game and so far I'm great at this, I'm like on a 6 games streak.

Edit: Got my lootbox without a single win, mission accomplished.
randome
Member
(10-15-2017, 01:28 AM)

Originally Posted by Blues1990

Play some Junkenstein's Revenge to up your spirits.

Do you play on PS4? Ran into a dude named blues####.
Blues1990
Member
(10-15-2017, 01:33 AM)
Blues1990's Avatar

Originally Posted by randome

Do you play on PS4? Ran into a dude named blues####.

Nope. PC only, but I have been tempted to get a PS4, only so that I can play with the rest of the console guys.

Upon playing Junkenstein's Revenge as Ana, it only reminded me that I wished her 80 DMG was still around (or have it where she has a passive that her damage would ramp with consecutive hits, similar to how she does DoT in HOTS). Really, all I really want is for her gun to be hitscan all of the time. You'd still need to aim well to utilize her, but it would be more forgiving without having to lead your shot which is nearly impossible on hyper mobile characters. While I've suggested this before, there is always the "She'd be too OP" argument from someone. She has no good damage as a trade-off, and Ana takes the most skill of any other support to perform support tasks, but for what payoff?

She's not a good main healer, because Mercy is required for that slot if the other team has a Mercy, and you can't run 3 support in a 6 player composition. She's also not an optimal off-healer over Zenyatta and Lucio, because she has no support ultimate and Nano Boost is pretty sub-optimal.
nabe_shogun
Member
(10-15-2017, 02:01 AM)
nabe_shogun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blues1990

Nope. PC only, but I have been tempted to get a PS4, only so that I can play with the rest of the console guys.

I've thought about that too, but then I realized that I need to pay for online that I'd rarely use.

PS you going to be on later today? I kinda want to play with some people. Don't care what game mode.

I also need more gaf members on my friends list. You're one of two on there.
Blues1990
Member
(10-15-2017, 02:04 AM)
Blues1990's Avatar

Originally Posted by nabe_shogun

I've thought about that too, but then I realized that I need to pay for online that I'd rarely use.

That's another good point for why I went back to PC gaming, as with the exception of MMO's and specific games, I'm glad I don't have to pay for an additional fee for an online-enabled video game.
Chance
Member
(10-15-2017, 02:15 AM)
Chance's Avatar

Originally Posted by Blues1990

She's not a good main healer, because Mercy is required for that slot if the other team has a Mercy, and you can't run 3 support in a 6 player composition. She's also not an optimal off-healer over Zenyatta and Lucio, because she has no support ultimate and Nano Boost is pretty sub-optimal.

I think she's almost a soft counter to Mercy just via how much ult charge she can deny with nade.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(10-15-2017, 02:46 AM)
Data West's Avatar
Hanzo needs a Takeshi Kitano skin
Orochinagis
Member
(10-15-2017, 02:51 AM)
Orochinagis's Avatar
Good lord, even with veterans with 3 and 4 star refusing to pick a secondary support leaving me alone as mercy deals with 2 tank 1 dps and a roulette guy comp.

This game game becames so hard to win as solo
hypernima
Banned
(10-15-2017, 03:00 AM)
Had an easily winnable 2CP game we could have won, but lost because of how broken this mode is on Defense.

Had 6 minutes to take point but they went triple tank and mei and Dva bombs kept killing us en masse since there's not many places to hide on Hanamura B.

I killed Orisa every. single. time. she came out (as Lucio) and it was not enough and for some reason our Mercy ran Ana on Push but we could have won the first push if she had stayed on.

Jesus. I fucking hate this mode so much.
Skii
Member
(10-15-2017, 03:18 AM)
Skii's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chance

I think she's almost a soft counter to Mercy just via how much ult charge she can deny with nade.

Using nade offensively is just not viable for Ana in this meta. You will be instantly deleted without it considering the amount of flankers and spam damage around.
randome
Member
(10-15-2017, 03:33 AM)
ARE YOU FUCKING kidding me...out of all the loot boxes since the fuckin patch I get one old legendary and one gold box of coins. This is dumb.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(10-15-2017, 03:35 AM)
Data West's Avatar
when are they going to let sombra disable passives
KyleCross
Member
(10-15-2017, 03:46 AM)
KyleCross's Avatar
I can't believe this is happening to me. I've dropped all the way from 2600 to 2200 from this massive losing streak. This can't be natural, are people just not trying to win anymore?
MCD
Junior Member
(10-15-2017, 03:58 AM)
MCD's Avatar
It's frustrating when you dva bomb and get kills but still lose because no one's on the payload :(

I don't want my SR back. I just want good teammates :(
icecold1983
Member
(10-15-2017, 04:05 AM)

Originally Posted by KyleCross

I can't believe this is happening to me. I've dropped all the way from 2600 to 2200 from this massive losing streak. This can't be natural, are people just not trying to win anymore?

youre just naturally gravitating to the elo of your skill level
Azoor
Member
(10-15-2017, 04:20 AM)
Azoor's Avatar

Originally Posted by Data West

when are they going to let sombra disable passives

When they want to make her OP.
Evil's Bane
Member
(10-15-2017, 04:31 AM)
Evil's Bane's Avatar
Got back into this game cause of the event. I don't think I ever posted in this thread much though.

As a console player I honestly prefer quick play. Comp seems to get worse each season with tilting, toxicity, the game just generally being frustrating to play if I approach it with a competitive mindset etc. QP can be frustrating but I can just go with the flow of the team and the match and not worry about playing "properly" so much which kind of leads to better results anyway. Overwatch is also just more fun when it's flexible and spontaneous but that's just me. I think I had the most fun with the game in it's earliest, messiest stages where attempts all winston teams or two lucios with one playing each song were common lol.
hypernima
Banned
(10-15-2017, 04:45 AM)

Originally Posted by Data West

when are they going to let sombra disable passives

How would this even be fair?
pizzacat
Banned
(10-15-2017, 04:47 AM)

Originally Posted by hypernima

How would this even be fair?

this would only be unfair to pharah really, anyone else is fair game
KyleCross
Member
(10-15-2017, 05:16 AM)
KyleCross's Avatar

Originally Posted by icecold1983

youre just naturally gravitating to the elo of your skill level

I've been a Platinum Mercy main every season and now all of a sudden I'm sucked into low gold by terrible team after terrible team. I don't agree with you.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(10-15-2017, 05:32 AM)
Data West's Avatar
just give me 6 second hooks back and im gucci

i love when orisa halts a whole hog
Owzers
Member
(10-15-2017, 05:45 AM)
Owzers's Avatar
Still no legendary event skin, but I did get two Lucio event voice lines in one box.
Data West
coaches in the WNBA
(10-15-2017, 06:12 AM)
Data West's Avatar
i wonder when Hog's skin is going to hit. I have to imagine the next big update will be the new support a la Blizzcon. Would they just throw in a new Hog skin with no event or map?
Incendiary
Banned
(10-15-2017, 06:29 AM)
Incendiary's Avatar

Originally Posted by KyleCross

I can't believe this is happening to me. I've dropped all the way from 2600 to 2200 from this massive losing streak. This can't be natural, are people just not trying to win anymore?

I've had the same problem. Went from 2600 to 2300 in one long overall losing streak peppered with a few wins here and there. Now I'm back to around 2400 after a battle of wins and losses.

I think the problem is that 200-300 SR swings are pretty normal for people who play regularly every day. I've watched Master streamers have bad luck and lose a bunch of SR on stream and it doesn't faze them (okay it might tilt them some) but it's okay because they're playing 4-5 hours a day every day for streaming and one day of losing isn't gonna affect their overall bottom line. But for people who play like 2-3 games a night max, and only get to play like twice a week, a 10 game losing streak where you drop 200 points can be devastating for not only your psyche but your overall SR for the season.
nabe_shogun
Member
(10-15-2017, 06:49 AM)
nabe_shogun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Incendiary

I've had the same problem. Went from 2600 to 2300 in one long overall losing streak peppered with a few wins here and there. Now I'm back to around 2400 after a battle of wins and losses.

I think the problem is that 200-300 SR swings are pretty normal for people who play regularly every day. I've watched Master streamers have bad luck and lose a bunch of SR on stream and it doesn't faze them (okay it might tilt them some) but it's okay because they're playing 4-5 hours a day every day for streaming and one day of losing isn't gonna affect their overall bottom line. But for people who play like 2-3 games a night max, and only get to play like twice a week, a 10 game losing streak where you drop 200 points can be devastating for not only your psyche but your overall SR for the season.

Pretty much. I'm sure in the long run it will all average out if you play a bunch of games.

Though I'm in the group of not playing much right now because of school. I had a big drop after placements and went down a rank and still haven't recovered.
Blues1990
Member
(10-15-2017, 06:52 AM)
Blues1990's Avatar

Originally Posted by Data West

i wonder when Hog's skin is going to hit. I have to imagine the next big update will be the new support a la Blizzcon. Would they just throw in a new Hog skin with no event or map?

Along with the Winston Highlight Intro that was teased and a (hopeful) announcement to the addition of a permanent Player VS. Horde mode. We got a lot of cool shit added to the game at last years BlizzCon, so here's hoping that the same will happen this time around.

We also haven't got the other two Hanzo skins (we got Cyberninja as the first of three skins), but I'm expecting Hanzo to get a Legendary that is based off his appearance during the Christmas comic.


Thread Tools