• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

orient
(03-05-2014, 11:09 AM)
I have found my home on GAF.

In terms of the games, I own three copies of the original -- a sealed Japanese copy, a Japanese Special Edition with Jukebox CD, and a European copy. Just the two copies of Shenmue II -- Dreamcast and Xbox. I have the Limited Edition Ryo Hazuki statue from F4F and the official hoodie.

Never been too interested in owning US Shenmue or What's Shenmue? But I would like to buy the strategy guides for both games soon.

Cannot wait for the GDC presentation. I don't think anything will be announced, I just want to find out more about the creation of these amazing, one of a kind games.
Coreda
(03-05-2014, 11:26 AM)

Originally Posted by IrishNinja

I'm in love with this overcast screenshot.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(03-05-2014, 11:40 AM)
About time this thread was made! Shenmue II is still to this day my favourite videogame of all time and probably the best thing this industry has ever done.

And for the longest time I’ve found it hard to express why I love Shenmue so much – it’s a combination of a lot of things, but I almost always put it down to the experience it gives you mainly thanks to the atmosphere. It’s because its one of the only games where YOU are the character as opposed to just being the player looking through a window. The game doesn’t revolve around you - YOU revolve around the game while the game world simply continues to move forward. This is why it feels so personal. This is why the sense of place and atmosphere is heighten to astronomical levels. This is why the little touches stay with you. This is why it truly feels like you are personally experiencing different cultures and feel like you have been to these locations. This is why Shenmue I and II are masterpieces!
Spaghetti
(03-05-2014, 11:43 AM)

Originally Posted by thunder_snail

I don't think Yu Suzuki's capable anymore.. He's making mobile games these days...

well, what else is he going to do? everything else he worked on since shenmue was cancelled with the exception of sega race tv
PeakPointMatrix
(03-05-2014, 11:44 AM)
Subscribing for the sadness and lucky hit.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(03-05-2014, 11:45 AM)

Originally Posted by liquidtmd

"A black car?"

"A black car?"

"Have you seen a Blaaaaaaaaaaack Carrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"?

nny
(03-05-2014, 11:56 AM)
Defense Force assemble!
Boogybro
(03-05-2014, 12:48 PM)

Originally Posted by Allshallperish

Why you do this?! :'(
subbed.

Hahaha
IrishNinja
(03-05-2014, 12:49 PM)
well said, Tricky I

Originally Posted by Boogybro

I will post this in every Shenmue thread.

liked this one last time, adding to favorites now

Originally Posted by nny

Defense Force assemble!

'sho nuff
AF_Writer
Banned
(03-05-2014, 12:51 PM)
The latest Shenmue documentary, In Ryo's Footsteps 2 needs a link right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioy6DEddBUg
IrishNinja
(03-05-2014, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by AF_Writer

The latest Shenmue documentary, In Ryo's Footsteps 2 needs a link right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioy6DEddBUg

ah, good one! saw this a little while back, might have to toss it into the OP
kick51
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:05 PM)
i have a copy for Xbox. i might try starting it again for the billionth time lol
TCRS
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:07 PM)
subbed. every now and then I'll get all nostalgic when I think about Shenmue. Such a great game.
LelouchViBritannia
(03-05-2014, 03:08 PM)
Oh HELL YEAAAA,

Shenmue Community Thread.

Thanks Irish Ninja.
ComputerMKII
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:09 PM)
This thread should be relatively free of actual news.

Subscribing anyway
Nyoro SF
(03-05-2014, 03:11 PM)
I just started this game on DC a few days ago.

The English VAs are god damn hilariously cheesy.

I will say, back in the time when Shenmue was released, it was very common for English dubs and subs to ignore or try to translate around Japanese honorifics, so it's very surprising to hear them being used in this game. I like it, just like the way they were used in Persona 4.
Jacobi
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:11 PM)
So, eh will this be moved into the Community forum at some point?
I really wanna do a ShenMue tribute at some point. I don't believe Sega will ever put out something new... The rumors about a licensed engine or API ShenMue is using (and thus can't be published again) sounded rational...
Leg-End
(03-05-2014, 03:16 PM)
I'd love a game of lucky hit, thanks.

Subbed.
danwarb
(03-05-2014, 03:17 PM)
But what happened to the kitten?

I took it tofu.
Omikaru
(03-05-2014, 03:23 PM)
Hi ShenmueGAF!

Subscribed, just because having a place for Shenmue fans to talk is long overdue.

Been a fan since the game first came out in Europe. I always get totally absorbed in these magnificent gems, and I try to get a play through of Shenmue I & II every 18 months or so, though recently my DC has kicked it so I'm hoping emulation and/or Shenmue I & II HD for modern systems + PC is a thing very soon.
tsab
(03-05-2014, 03:24 PM)
I need a dual language HD re-release soon :/

The English dub is bad, but good bad and the Japanese dub is good, but bad good.
DryvBy
(03-05-2014, 03:29 PM)
Mandatory for this Shenmue thread. Mega64 Classic
Piccoro
(03-05-2014, 03:35 PM)
Subbed.

So, the other night I was in bed thinking about Shenmue, and it occurred me something:

How is it possible that Ryo in Shenmue II travels to China, and all the locals speak Japanese! (English in the US version).
And assuming they all speak those languages in order for the gamer to comprehend, and they are really speaking Chinese, how does Ryo understands and speaks Chinese to them?
Did Ryo's father taught him Chinese?
blazeuk
(03-05-2014, 03:37 PM)
Still remember the day I bought the first game, still love the games and despite it probably not having the same sort of impact for those who are new to it and play it now, it'll never lose that wow moment I had when I first played it. I think it's almost time I played through them again.
Marvie_3
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Hours Left

Gimme some 1+2 HD re-release please.

This.
Josh7289
(03-05-2014, 03:38 PM)
I think the series is dead. But I did love Shenmue 1. I haven't played 2, and don't want to unless I know I can finish the story.
Augemitbutter
(03-05-2014, 03:39 PM)

Originally Posted by DryvBy

Mandatory for this Shenmue thread. Mega64 Classic

still the best they have ever done.
danwarb
(03-05-2014, 03:45 PM)
Shenmue has brilliant soundtrack and themes. I'd say best.
LelouchViBritannia
(03-05-2014, 03:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Omikaru

Hi ShenmueGAF!

Subscribed, just because having a place for Shenmue fans to talk is long overdue.

Been a fan since the game first came out in Europe. I always get totally absorbed in these magnificent gems, and I try to get a play through of Shenmue I & II every 18 months or so, though recently my DC has kicked it so I'm hoping emulation and/or Shenmue I & II HD for modern systems + PC is a thing very soon.

Good to see a fellow personagaf user in the Shenmue thread.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(03-05-2014, 03:53 PM)
Can't have a community thread without these amazing Shenmue prank calls. They'll never get old!

Prank Number 1 + Prank Number 2 + Prank Number 3 + Prank Number 4 + Prank Number 5.
Boogybro
(03-05-2014, 03:55 PM)

Originally Posted by Tricky I Shadow

Can't have a community thread without these amazing Shenmue prank calls. They'll never get old!

Prank Number 1 + Prank Number 2 + Prank Number 3 + Prank Number 4 + Prank Number 5.

Don't forget to say goodbye.
LelouchViBritannia
(03-05-2014, 03:57 PM)
LOL, those pranks never get old.
BrumGB
(03-05-2014, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Tricky I Shadow

Haha haven't heard these before, milk out of nose moment.
LelouchViBritannia
(03-05-2014, 04:08 PM)
You think that's funny. Check this out LOL.

Ryo and Fuku-san show their love for one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4-FjXDPf8
Tricky I Shadow
Banned
(03-05-2014, 04:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Boogybro

Don't forget to say goodbye.

The Bankslammer
(03-05-2014, 04:13 PM)
especially since you bought merchandise
Team Vernia
Banned
(03-05-2014, 04:15 PM)
Mmmmm... Shenmue.

Maybe we should have another.
Tricky I Shadow
Banned

Originally Posted by LelouchViBritannia

You think that's funny. Check this out LOL.

Ryo and Fuku-san show their love for one another.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4-FjXDPf8

OMG!
Jo Shishido's Cheeks
I went and visited a few of the real life places whilst playing the soundtrack through my headphones.

GAF is probably the only place I would ever admit this!
Jay Sosa
(03-05-2014, 04:16 PM)

Originally Posted by AF_Writer

thanks, really liked the first one.

btw: the apparently correct pronunciation fo Shenmue sounds so incredibly stupid.

Shen-moo? I rather keep saying it wrong.
Jo Shishido's Cheeks
(03-05-2014, 04:20 PM)
Shen-MEW > Shen-MOO
Boogybro
(03-05-2014, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Jay Sosa

thanks, really liked the first one.

btw: the apparently correct pronunciation fo Shenmue sounds so incredibly stupid.

Shen-moo? I rather keep saying it wrong.

So Shen-Moo is the correct way? Good, that's how I've always said it. It's like Nike and Nikey.

The memories.

i think I'm gonna go on a Shenmue marathon like the good old days.
Wanace
(03-05-2014, 04:25 PM)
Where can I get the OST?

Love the atmosphere, the music especially. Playing Shenmue in the winter of 2000 was a defining highlight of my early 20s.
Backflip
(03-05-2014, 04:28 PM)
Still here, still rocking the SDF avatar. A Shenmue announcement would make me buy a PS4 in a hurry.
_Ryo_
(03-05-2014, 04:30 PM)
I wonder if I could sue SEGA for emotional damages. I need compensation in the form of new Shenmue, dammit!
LelouchViBritannia
(03-05-2014, 04:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Cryptozoologist

Where can I get the OST?

Love the atmosphere, the music especially. Playing Shenmue in the winter of 2000 was a defining highlight of my early 20s.

If you me purchase, you can try amazon or ebay. usually, some third parties have it for sell. It can be a bit pricey.

Alternatively, visit the Shenmuedojo youtube channel to listen to the full OST

SHENMUE FULL OST
IrishNinja
(03-05-2014, 04:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Jo Shishido's Cheeks

I went and visited a few of the real life places whilst playing the soundtrack through my headphones.

GAF is probably the only place I would ever admit this!

you're my boy, Jo <3
Stimpack
(03-05-2014, 04:36 PM)
Probably my favorite thread on GAF. Subscribed for sure. Always hoping to hear some good news for Shenmue.

Oh, it is pronounced "shen-moo"? Hah. It hadn't even occurred to me that people would pronounce it any other way. "Shen-mew" sounds very strange to me. This thread is already delivering.
Wanace
(03-05-2014, 04:37 PM)

Originally Posted by LelouchViBritannia

If you me purchase, you can try amazon or ebay. usually, some third parties have it for sell. It can be a bit pricey.

Alternatively, visit the Shenmuedojo youtube channel to listen to the full OST

SHENMUE FULL OST

Thanks! Guess I'll settle for Youtube tonight and look at purchasing options later.
Arkanius
(03-05-2014, 04:39 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR_LIqh4oeE

Never forget