• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

heckmanimation
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:29 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar
I am playing the switch in handheld mode, so maybe that plays into it a bit... but!

I'm finding the most frustrating part of BOTW as i go through it, are the forced motion controls, specifically any time i need to use the gyroscope to solve puzzles. swinging over-sized hammers, navigating a marble through a maze, etc. these are not novel or original concepts, most, if not all, have been done elsewhere, and yet i find that many games get shitted on for them, when they are seemingly overlooked/ignored in botw and yet can be so integral to its gameplay. it's disappointing to me when the hardest part of this game, the sections i spend the most time on, are these simple tasks of trying to rock my switch fast enough and at such a precise angle.

Overall i'm enjoying my time with the game. it does some things fantastically, and yet leaves me scratching my head in regards to some other aspects.

sidenote - im typically a fan of gyro aiming but i find that it's not done as well in botw compared to other games, i think it has to do with when the gyroscope registers its axis calibrations along with the camera view.


what are your thoughts on the motion controls and gyro mechanics/puzzles in this game?
what makes them different/better/special compared to others?
ShadowFox08
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:35 PM)
ShadowFox08's Avatar
I agree, it shouldn't. They did a good job with the bow, but the controls for the puzzles shrines are bad(though it doesn't completely hinder you from not finishing the shrines, just may take a while). Skyward Sword's motion controls are significantly better than botw in comparison(minus the constant recentering.. most puzzles and motions are good). Really makes me think if they're using anything close to motion+1 technology or the SS development team while make this game.
xviper
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:35 PM)
xviper's Avatar
because BOTW is probably one of the VERY FEW games that did motion controls absolutely right, the motion-controlled shrines were one of my favorites in the game
giapel
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:37 PM)
The gyro in the shrines where you need to navigate a marble are broken and it has been criticised often, but it's hardly an essential part of the game.
The aiming is practically perfect. What was exactly your issue with it?
lord_of_flood
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:42 PM)
lord_of_flood's Avatar
It shouldn't (I hate the gyro puzzles too), but I'd guess and say it's not that people like them and/or give them a free pass, it's just that it doesn't get talked about in favor of everything else the game does right or wrong.

As a side note, I actually really liked the gyro aiming in BotW though. I'm a much, much better shot with it than without it.
EuropeOG
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:43 PM)
EuropeOG's Avatar
It didn't, people moaned about it.
Air Zombie Meat
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:44 PM)
Air Zombie Meat's Avatar
I agree some of those gyro shrines were bad but they're not really forced. You don't have to do them. Bow controls were good for me, you just have to point with the stick and use gyro for small adjustments.
heckmanimation
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:48 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by giapel

The gyro in the shrines where you need to navigate a marble are broken and it has been criticised often, but it's hardly an essential part of the game.
The aiming is practically perfect. What was exactly your issue with it?

i find that it feels like it calibrates itself too often, or maybe with a weird algorithm. just feels like its always on a different plane no matter how slight of a tweak to the camera i make. so when i am in bow, and come out of it, and go back into it, the range of motion and angles are all off too far, for how much i had moved in between pulling the bow out the first and second times.

oh well. i just don't love it and gyro aiming just felt better to me in killzone/uncharted on vita.

the motion control puzzles just feel tacked on. unnecessary. just like most other motion control games where they aren't the focal point like wii sports, but more just mandatory use like uncharted golden abyss.


Originally Posted by EuropeOG

It didn't, people moaned about it.

did not know about this, as i avoided most conversation when the game was popular, to avoid spoilers etc.

the reason i bring this all up is because the GOTY debate thread is making me wonder how people can think it deserves to win when its just such a shitty mechanic. but thats not the point of this thread, so don't argue about that haha!
Cert.in.Death
Member
(11-10-2017, 06:49 PM)
Cert.in.Death's Avatar
Theyíre not pervasive, so perhaps thatís why it slips by, especially given its praise for virtually everything else (most of which I disagree with, but thatís neither here nor there).

But those who have noted them universally decry their role and place.
Acerac
Alyssa's Significant Otter
(11-10-2017, 06:51 PM)
Acerac's Avatar

Originally Posted by giapel

The gyro in the shrines where you need to navigate a marble are broken and it has been criticised often, but it's hardly an essential part of the game.
The aiming is practically perfect. What was exactly your issue with it?

Based on the OP and his reply later on in the thread? That more people aren't criticizing this particular aspect after they've stopped talking about the game in general.
bargeparty
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:04 PM)
bargeparty's Avatar
Forced? Been a while since I played but I recall going into the options and turning off motion controls.
Peterc
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:12 PM)
Peterc's Avatar
Gyro and mouse controls are better for specific thing. For example when you aim with precision you can use gyro for that. Fps isn't playable with a traditional controller. Thats why the gameplay could easily be called gimmicks too for fps games. They solve this for the mainstream using autoaim, but it's still fake.

Thank god Nintendo solved that.


So yes,some things are better with traditional other ones not.
BodiesWithoutOrgans
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:14 PM)
BodiesWithoutOrgans's Avatar
It didnít weapon durability sucks
Cpt Lmao
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:36 PM)
Nintendo generally assume that their fans are competent, especially with regards to Zelda.
DragonGirl
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:53 PM)
DragonGirl's Avatar
Hyperbole. The only places you have to use gyro controls (which just involves tilting and rotating) are a small number of easy to solve puzzles. Otherwise it's optional.
Haluko
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:54 PM)
Haluko's Avatar
I thought the consensus was the motion gyro parts were pretty awful.
Wonkytonky
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 07:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Cpt Lmao

Nintendo generally assume that their fans are competent, especially with regards to Zelda.

Ouch!

I totally agree.
Soapbox Killer
Grand Nagus
(11-10-2017, 08:07 PM)
Soapbox Killer's Avatar
Because it worked right!
bufkus
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:09 PM)
Because there's nothing wrong with their forced gyro gimmick gameplay. Overwhelming majority of gamers found it to be fun.
Vitacat
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:13 PM)
Vitacat's Avatar
Well, for balance, I loved the gyro controls, even in the shrines. It gives the player a skill to wrestle with at least to a reasonable degree since those gyro puzzle elements are rare anyway.

FWIW, I mainly played BOTW in console mode using a Pro controller.

And anyone hating on the weapon durability, you're just wrong and always will be.
Velius
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:23 PM)
Velius's Avatar
2/10

You get the 2 because you got me to respond. On that topic, your Sony fanboyism isn't veiled very well. You need to be more subtle.

They didn't get a "pass". People looked for reasons to criticize the game, as they should have.

The game has flaws. They've been pointed out extensively, in part because it does so much so very well.

Still 97 on MC, and still GOTY. You're just going to have to learn to live with it.
heckmanimation
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:23 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by bufkus

Because there's nothing wrong with their forced gyro gimmick gameplay. Overwhelming majority of gamers found it to be fun.

if theres nothing wrong with it, why do other games get crucified for it?

Originally Posted by Velius

2/10

You get the 2 because you got me to respond. On that topic, your Sony fanboyism isn't veiled very well. You need to be more subtle.

They didn't get a "pass". People looked for reasons to criticize the game, as they should have.

The game has flaws. They've been pointed out extensively, in part because it does so much so very well.

Still 97 on MC, and still GOTY. You're just going to have to learn to live with it.

has nothing to do with fanboyism, so take yours out of here. you don't have to get so defensive.

the core of the argument is why are botw motion gimmicks not criticized as harshly as most other games, including nintendo and xbox. it's not a company based argument.

after reading some of the comments here I see that the motion controls were one of the flaws people had with the game, but since i didnt follow most of the detailed discussion on forums to avoid spoilers, it didn't come across as that critical of an issue considering most general talk about the game in publications disregarded it.
Ostrava04
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:31 PM)
Ostrava04's Avatar
Yea agree, the 2 ball moving ones with gyro are 2 of the worst shrines in BotW. But those were 2 pretty small parts in a pretty good game. I was just glad there wasn't many forced gyro controlled shrine puzzles
DarkKyo
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:35 PM)
DarkKyo's Avatar
I actually enjoyed the motion controls in Skyward Sword over the ones in BotW, but then I've never had an issue with the controls in SS.
epicnem
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:38 PM)
There are only like 2 shrines I remember that have them, and they got criticized for it, but I donít think a lot of people are going to shit on a game because .0000001% of it uses a control scheme they disliked.
heckmanimation
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:43 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar

Originally Posted by epicnem

There are only like 2 shrines I remember that have them, and they got criticized for it, but I donít think a lot of people are going to shit on a game because .0000001% of it uses a control scheme they disliked.

ah interesting, maybe i havent explored enough then, just beat the second divine beast. and the shrines i have hit maybe like 30, i feel like maybe 5 have had motion control puzzles.
moomoo14
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:49 PM)
moomoo14's Avatar
There are 4 shrines in the entire game that force the player to use motion controls. Otherwise, it is entirely optional throughout the entire game (and when it came to bow aiming, I found it really helpful and wish it was in more games).

Admittedly, I hated the motion controls in these four shrines. At least you could turn them upside down to make it flat so that it'd be pretty easy.
Velius
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:54 PM)
Velius's Avatar
*Deleted for the sake of harmony
SkateorDi3
Member
(11-10-2017, 08:56 PM)
SkateorDi3's Avatar
can you still get banned here for calling out fanboys?
entremet
Member
(11-10-2017, 09:00 PM)
entremet's Avatar

Originally Posted by BodiesWithoutOrgans

It didnít weapon durability sucks

Stepping back from the game for so long, I thought it was rather genius. I didn't like it at first, but it sure helped with exploration.
JimboJones
Member
(11-10-2017, 09:01 PM)
JimboJones's Avatar
They weren't overlooked a lot of people said they where shit for the puzzels but they where a tiny percentage of the overall game.
J4K
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 09:17 PM)
I don't think it gets a pass - a lot of people complained about them.

But the response wasn't universal. Some people really liked them. In fact, the one motion controlled shrine people complain a lot about was actually one of my favorites, because you could simply flip the whole thing on its head and solve the problem another way (a reason this game is so damn awesome in the first place!).

As for the bow controls, I want that level of subtle control now in every aiming game ever made from now on. Doing large adjustments with the sticks while subtitling angling in with the motion controls felt so right and incredibly precise.

Overall I call the motion controls in general a net gain for the game.
culturevulturemedia
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 09:18 PM)
I loved the shrine puzzles and loved the shrines but I, in my life, just love puzzles. I found the motion control elements in the Puzzles to be brief trial and error affairs and felt a bump when I got it but that is just my opinion. I appreciate though that the aiming with gyro in battles and such was optional.

Perhaps everything should have been opt-in but none of it bothered me. The durability to me made for interesting strategy as well but maybe some of the rarer swords had the option to get them repaired.

Overall though none of the stuff some people have passionate problems with didn't bother me at all.
meerak
Member
(11-10-2017, 09:38 PM)
meerak's Avatar
People complained.

What do want exactly, for people to just constantly be crying about this? The game didnít come out yesterday.

More importantly, itís just one aspect, one mechanic, in a very good game.

Itís annoying, sure, but we donít need to put up a statue in its name.
Nosgotham
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 09:41 PM)
i think the gyro aiming in botw is amazing and im ofyen trying to do it subconsciously in other games. it allows for that little bit of extra finesse to get the perfect shot.


the gyro puzzles on the other hand are not great. it definitely gets a pass because the game is so great. they are the low point
Spukc
Member
(11-10-2017, 09:50 PM)
Spukc's Avatar
why do apple get's away with selling phones for 1k ?
they are industry leaders.

you can say whatever you want about nintendo but gameplay is the best at nintendo.
Refreshment.01
Member
(11-10-2017, 09:56 PM)
Refreshment.01's Avatar

Originally Posted by heckmanimation

I am playing the switch in handheld mode, so maybe that plays into it a bit... but!

I'm finding the most frustrating part of BOTW as i go through it, are the forced motion controls, specifically any time i need to use the gyroscope to solve puzzles. swinging over-sized hammers, navigating a marble through a maze, etc. these are not novel or original concepts, most, if not all, have been done elsewhere, and yet i find that many games get shitted on for them, when they are seemingly overlooked/ignored in botw and yet can be so integral to its gameplay. it's disappointing to me when the hardest part of this game, the sections i spend the most time on, are these simple tasks of trying to rock my switch fast enough and at such a precise angle.

Where do we start?
  • Cosnoles where Breath of the Wild is played on come packed with motion capable controllers. There's no the "forced" use you speak of. Developers chose a control system that expressed the idea they had in mind when designing these challenges.
  • Only 4 out 120 shrines use them.
  • The controls work properly and the shrines are fairly easy to solve for an average coordinated individual.
  • Gyro aiming works great.
Where are the people that should be complaining about everyone getting the gimped version of Breath of the Wild so the Switch doesn't look less appealing? Where were the people calling Aonuma for his hypocrisy in regards to the Gamepad statement?

Those questions i would like to hear answers for.
Sub Boss
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:07 PM)
Sub Boss's Avatar
its a terrible mechanic but its used so little most people forgot about it
Copper
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:21 PM)
Copper's Avatar
Very little in the game is forced. You do not need to do those shrines.
Kamina
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:23 PM)
Kamina's Avatar
Because they were not intrusive or difficult. Just slight aim assist and some gyro puzzles.
SoulUnison
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:34 PM)
SoulUnison's Avatar

Originally Posted by BodiesWithoutOrgans

It didn’t weapon durability sucks

Wow, this is an efficient post.
Drive-by shitposting and an attempt at a thread derail in only 5 words.

I'd be impressed if I wasn't so unimpressed.
DragonGirl
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:38 PM)
DragonGirl's Avatar
The problem with the marble rolling challenge felt like it had more to do with the weight of the spheres. They were really heavy and had a lot of inertia, making it difficult to start them rolling and once going, difficult to make them stop. The other gyro challenges were so simple I don't see how anyone could complain about them mechanically (I can see complaints about inconvenience though, if you are playing in handheld mode). Then again, after watching some YouTubers make complete botches of how something as simple as a pivot point operates, a lot of the difficulties people had may be straight up human stupidity error.
PeterGAF
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:43 PM)
PeterGAF's Avatar
The only parts of BOTW that force gyro controls on you are a few shrines which require the motion controls to move objects so you can guide/hit a ball into a hole. Those parts are few in number, only occur in shrines, and are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. That is why BOTW ďgets a pass.Ē

You call the gyro controls integral to the gameplay, but that could not be further from the truth.
Junahu
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:46 PM)
Junahu's Avatar
It's pretty clear that the motion controlled shrines were intended for a TV-Gamepad setup. The ball maze in particular was begging for a second screen with a top-down view.
Fbh
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:53 PM)
Fbh's Avatar
The gyro puzzles are some of the few areas of the game that I hated.


But I think it "gets a pass" because there is A LOT of content and the gyro shrines are a small part of it. I played the game for like 80 hours and spent mabye 30 minutes on gyro puzzles.
ckaneo
Member
(11-10-2017, 10:57 PM)
ckaneo's Avatar
People complained
Ocirus
Member
(11-10-2017, 11:01 PM)
Ocirus's Avatar

Originally Posted by heckmanimation

I am playing the switch in handheld mode, so maybe that plays into it a bit... but!

First off, there's your problem. Use a pro controller.

Secondly, it's Nintendo. Forcing gimmicks are what they do. Players generally have to roll with the punches or enjoy the games from afar.

Lastly, I never felt like I wasn't having fun with any of the gyro puzzles in BotW. I put in over 120 hours and nearly finished every single shrine. That's a big difference compared with other forced gyro gimmicks, or any forced gimmick of any kind. If I'm still enjoying the game it gets a pass from me.
Jezan
Member
(11-10-2017, 11:05 PM)
Jezan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cpt Lmao

Nintendo generally assume that their fans are competent, especially with regards to Zelda.

Really? That would explain the handholding, tutorial starting zone(lasting for few hours) and helper character in the previous games.
If anything they are the ones needing the most guidance of any other Nintendo fan.

Bonus: OoT Master Quest nerfing the Water Temple to the point it became the easiest.

OP you know the answer...
MP!
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 11:25 PM)
cause it was fine?
kunonabi
Member
(11-10-2017, 11:28 PM)
kunonabi's Avatar
While they aren't up to Nintendo's usual polish due to the due to the massive gutting and overhaul in service to the switch port they're the least of the game's control problems.

Thread Tools