• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

The Freeman
(11-10-2017, 09:20 AM)
Want your Titan to fall quicker? Buy a loot box and see if you get the star card to get that ability.

Want more firepower when you're losing the fight? Drop a loot box in mid game to turn the tide!

-_-'
Tosyn_88
(11-10-2017, 09:24 AM)
This Respawn narrative feels like some Saturday morning drama bs. I mean, they are literally back at the studio they gave a middle finger years ago. How did nobody stop and think this was going to go that same direction. For such a talented studio, it's rather shocking how dumb they look with this decision. Yes, EA has changed a lot over the years but at their core, it's still the same scummy ex lover that used to abuse you.

I wish them the best anyways and I suppose this is a chance for EA to prove to everyone they aren't as bad as we think
danmaku
(11-10-2017, 09:43 AM)

Originally Posted by BizzyBum

We'll have to see how Titanfall 3 fairs. Perhaps EA will give it some more love in the marketing and release date department and won't blast it with loot boxes. It's just crazy because I think the Titanfall multiplayer is some of the best shooting out there and yet no one plays it., or at least it's nowhere near as popular as I think it should be.

Or maybe a lot of devs and execs misread the market? Maybe most people don't really want super fast movements, wallrunning and double jumping, they're happy with "slow" games like CoD, Battlefield and Overwatch. Respawn thought they had the formula for the future of FPS, but looks like Blizzard had better ideas.
Colossal Moo
(11-10-2017, 09:46 AM)

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

What was respawn thinking

Respawn wasn't thinking anything because it is a company. Respawn's owners were thinking that they wanted $150 to $450 million dollars.

Respawn's was started by Jason West and Vince Zampella. These two were also two of the three founders of Infinity Ward (the studio which created Call of Duty). These two know their way around the video game industry and they almost certainly know how to handle EA. Plus if things don't work out, they can quit EA and start another studio. So I would argue that taking $150 million from EA was a no brainer because these guys know the industry, they know how to tangle with publishers (they had a legal fight with Activision after they were fired) and they are very good at what they do.
Colossal Moo
(11-10-2017, 09:47 AM)

Originally Posted by Tosyn_88

This Respawn narrative feels like some Saturday morning drama bs. I mean, they are literally back at the studio they gave a middle finger years ago. How did nobody stop and think this was going to go that same direction. For such a talented studio, it's rather shocking how dumb they look with this decision. Yes, EA has changed a lot over the years but at their core, it's still the same scummy ex lover that used to abuse you.

I wish them the best anyways and I suppose this is a chance for EA to prove to everyone they aren't as bad as we think

How are they dumb? Would you turn down $150 million from EA?
Darak
(11-10-2017, 10:12 AM)
West & Zampella are very business savvy, which is uncommon for studio leads in the industry. If this is going to be good or bad for the gamers remains to be seen, but this may not end in another studio corpse in EA's backyard.
KahooTs
(11-10-2017, 10:42 AM)
They should be a dedicated FPS Star Wars dev.
TheSinkingKnight
(11-10-2017, 10:45 AM)
I wonder what Jason west thinks of this.
Shifty.
(11-10-2017, 10:50 AM)
Respawn's quality of work to nosedive.
ColdToffee
(11-10-2017, 10:57 AM)
They need a studio to torture after they are done with Bioware.
undi
(11-10-2017, 11:20 AM)
If Respawn agreed to this its only because the project was to die already.

They only found an opportunity to earn some cash before effectively and surely dying.

The big issue here is that, in this case, a Titanfall 3 may even exist.
i_karan
(11-10-2017, 11:52 AM)
That release date for Titanfall 2 makes a lot more sense now. I bet that lowered the price sigificantly.
Just hope that they leave Titanfall as it is.

And also, how come MS didn't make this aquisition? Guess they didn't felt Titanfall was strong enough IP.
GC_DALBEN
(11-10-2017, 12:03 PM)
Its only a matter of time now, rip.
mustardpoodle
(11-10-2017, 12:44 PM)
Diablos
(11-10-2017, 12:45 PM)

Originally Posted by mustardpoodle

RIP
The Freeman
(11-10-2017, 12:46 PM)
Protocol 1: Link to Pilot
Protocol 2: Uphold the Mission
Protocol 3: Protect the Pilot
Protocol 4: Make Pilot buy Loot Boxes
Raimond
(11-10-2017, 12:46 PM)
Another Titanfall 2 and that's it for them :(
CryptiK
(11-10-2017, 01:03 PM)

Originally Posted by Darak

West & Zampella are very business savvy, which is uncommon for studio leads in the industry. If this is going to be good or bad for the gamers remains to be seen, but this may not end in another studio corpse in EA's backyard.

Very business savy but let EA push TF2 out between the two biggest FPS franchises that year. Ye ok
VGdrumCovers
(11-10-2017, 01:08 PM)
All titans locked behind paywall confirmed.
Alx
(11-10-2017, 01:28 PM)

Originally Posted by CryptiK

Very business savy but let EA push TF2 out between the two biggest FPS franchises that year. Ye ok

Some studios see their games underperform and sink their company. Others see their game underperform and sell their company for millions of dollars.
Everything considered, there are worse ways to play their cards.
MaximusPayne
(11-10-2017, 01:31 PM)
$$$$
Catphish
(11-10-2017, 01:33 PM)
Watch your head, it's time for Cratefall.
Shifty.
(11-10-2017, 02:02 PM)

Originally Posted by i_karan

That release date for Titanfall 2 makes a lot more sense now. I bet that lowered the price sigificantly.

That's an incredibly depressing yet believable thought :(
Yearsoflurking
(11-10-2017, 02:10 PM)

Originally Posted by //DEVIL//

Thread title is wrong.
315 million plus 140 million bonus

And microsoft should have bought them .

EA has first right to counter
Kikorin
(11-10-2017, 02:36 PM)
Sigh, I hope for the best, but is not easy be positive.
sloppyjoe_gamer
(11-10-2017, 02:39 PM)
Proabably has already been said 300 times, but RIP Titanfall.
primasaurus
(11-10-2017, 02:51 PM)

"We are EA. ... We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own"
LordRaptor
(11-10-2017, 03:03 PM)

From all accounts they acted like primadonnas when at activision due to the success of COD:MW, and were then poached by EA leading to a very expensive and publically embarassing lawsuit.
Since then, both Titanfalls have failed to meet expectations.

Basically, given their prior behaviour, the COD juggernaut being unaffected by their departure under Treyarchs steady helm, and the failure to perform to expectations of their own IP, it makes sense to sell because its pretty unlikely any other publisher is going to want to pick them up on the terms they would be asking for.
Blam
(11-10-2017, 03:28 PM)

Originally Posted by SmartWaffles

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...52593354059776

I'm not sure which side of the possibilities I want to pick, Korean F2P monster Nexon or EA. It looks like per their agreement there is no other choice.

That's disgusting.
BizzyBum
(11-10-2017, 04:32 PM)

Originally Posted by danmaku

Or maybe a lot of devs and execs misread the market? Maybe most people don't really want super fast movements, wallrunning and double jumping, they're happy with "slow" games like CoD, Battlefield and Overwatch. Respawn thought they had the formula for the future of FPS, but looks like Blizzard had better ideas.

Very true, too. LawBreakers is another perfect example. Titanfall MP is just so fun to play that it's a shame it's so overlooked, though. But you're probably right, most people want a more straight forward shooter like WW2 or Overwatch as opposed to the crazy action of Titanfall. I think a lot of people see it in action and just get intimidated or something.
b0bbyJ03
(11-10-2017, 04:40 PM)
Is it cynical to think that EA held respawn back as much as possible in order to set up this exact outcome. First they made TF exlclusive to a console with a smaller audience and then they launched TF2 next to their largest franchise. Had the TF franchise sold better (which I really believe it could have) it would have been a hell of a lot more expensive to buy them. Smells fishy to me.
jacks81x
(11-10-2017, 05:52 PM)

When did they give a middle finger to EA?
LordRaptor
(11-10-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by jacks81x

When did they give a middle finger to EA?

Infinity ward was mostly people that had worked on the Medal Of Honour series for EA bailing out to a fatter paycheck at Activision
jufonuk
(11-10-2017, 06:18 PM)
They won’t be coming back from this.

No respawn for you.
llien
(11-10-2017, 06:26 PM)
How many work at Respawn?
And, pardon my ignorance, did they roll out anything recognizable, besides Titanfall?
Chozo_Lord
(11-10-2017, 06:55 PM)

Originally Posted by i_karan

Just hope that they leave Titanfall as it is.

And also, how come MS didn't make this aquisition? Guess they didn't felt Titanfall was strong enough IP.

Pretty sure that it's a myth that EA made the Titanfall 2 release date. I think it was fully Respawn's choice and they made a terrible decision thinking they could outcompete COD and BF1. EA is greedy but not stupid. I bet they would have released it in Spring 2017 spending that extra dev time on how to add more microtransactions.
lord_of_flood
(11-10-2017, 07:08 PM)
That's unfortunate. A cousin of mine works there so I hope he finds somewhere else to go before EA inevitably shuts Respawn down in the next 6 or so years.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(11-10-2017, 07:36 PM)

Originally Posted by FrenchFryFiend

Someone have that pic with all the studios bodies in the ditch?

Terrible move here, Respawn will get closed down at the first sign of a game failing to meet projections.

And this is the worse part. Their next game can sell 5 million copies and it won't matter, because to EA if it doesn't sell 10+ million, it won't make projections.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(11-10-2017, 07:48 PM)

Originally Posted by MDSLKTR

When you think about it EA only has Dice and fifa going for them this gen, its crazy.

And Madden!
Lettuce
(11-10-2017, 07:49 PM)
Respawn....

LordRaptor
(11-10-2017, 07:54 PM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

And this is the worse part. Their next game can sell 5 million copies and it won't matter, because to EA if it doesn't sell 10+ million, it won't make projections.

Paying $450 million+ to make $300 million gross revenue is a terrible business deal so yeah, if I were EA I would be expecting a better ROI on that than 5 million copies sold.
Taliban Stan
(11-10-2017, 08:12 PM)
Just based off of Respawn's past, I wouldn't be surprised if the main dudes bounce out as soon as some time or title stipulation has passed. Aren't they always slamming the hell out of EA?
Mooreberg
(11-10-2017, 09:24 PM)
Is this based on potential sales of Star Wars games? Titanfall has never sold anything close to justifying that price.
mckmas8808
Sony is POO
(11-10-2017, 09:27 PM)

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

Paying $450 million+ to make $300 million gross revenue is a terrible business deal so yeah, if I were EA I would be expecting a better ROI on that than 5 million copies sold.

But is that reasonable?
raziel
(11-10-2017, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by Noleh8r

Let's review this entire thing from the beginning, shall we?

• West and Zampella were part of 2015, Inc. who developed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for EA.
  • West, Zampella, and about 20 other people left 2015 because they hated working with EA and formed Infinity Ward.
  • Infinity Ward created Call of Duty for Activision and was purchased by Activision the day after Call of Duty (2003) was released
  • Things went sour with Activision during Modern Warfare 2's development so Ward and Zampella left to form Respawn but while they were still at Infinity Ward working for Activision, they were working with EA secretly on the eventual deal for Titanfall.
  • Respawn relases two middling selling games for EA, one of which really appears to have had its release date deliberately set up by EA to fail.
  • Respawn sells to EA the following year.

This is a stupid industry.

All I got from this is they make great games no matter who cuts their checks.
LordRaptor
(11-10-2017, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by mckmas8808

But is that reasonable?

For who?

EA? West & Zampella? Rank and file employees?

From the sounds of things Zampella is getting a VPship at EA out of the deal as well, so he at least seems to be doing very well out of it.

The founders of respawn are making personal bank out of this, and allegedly don't mind breaking a few eggs with their underlings to get what they want.

They made this deal with eyes open as to who EA are and what kind of expectations that kind of number brings. And they made that deal.
Blam
(11-10-2017, 10:51 PM)

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

For who?

EA? West & Zampella? Rank and file employees?

From the sounds of things Zampella is getting a VPship at EA out of the deal as well, so he at least seems to be doing very well out of it.

The founders of respawn are making personal bank out of this, and allegedly don't mind breaking a few eggs with their underlings to get what they want.

They made this deal with eyes open as to who EA are and what kind of expectations that kind of number brings. And they made that deal.

Holy shit these 2 guys are fucking scum. No wonder they feel at home with EA.
Freshmaker
I am Korean.
(11-10-2017, 11:07 PM)

Originally Posted by glorious rommie

500 million for titanfall? are they insane?

They petty much sent tf2 out to die. Could easily been strategic just to arrive at this point.
LordRaptor
(11-10-2017, 11:10 PM)

Originally Posted by Freshmaker

They petty much sent tf2 out to die. Could easily been strategic just to arrive at this point.

The rumour is that Respawn were shopping themselves to Nexon, and EA had to match or beat Nexons offer to keep them.
Mister Apoc
(11-10-2017, 11:10 PM)
i give Respawn 3 weeks