• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Toni
(11-10-2017, 01:29 AM)
Sony should have bought them, or Respawn should have gone to Sony. They are sort of the best "haven" right now for devs looking to expand their ideas without that much hassle or termination.

EA has been terminating studios quite popularly like it was a daily basis thing. Im shook Respawn sucumbed to them knowing how tainted EA's rep is and as of late.

Wonder what went on.
SirNinja
(11-10-2017, 01:39 AM)
Place your bets, everyone. Two years? Three? Maybe four?
Loch Doun
(11-10-2017, 01:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Toni

Sony should have bought them, or Respawn should have gone to Sony. They are sort of the best "haven" right now for devs looking to expand their ideas without that much hassle or termination.

EA has been terminating studios quite popularly like it was a daily basis thing. Im shook Respawn sucumbed to them knowing how tainted EA's rep is and as of late.

Wonder what went on.

That "haven" also shut down Liverpool and Evolution. Nobodies perfect...
BibiMaghoo
(11-10-2017, 01:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

And Guerrilla Cambridge this year.
Caldain
(11-10-2017, 01:46 AM)
Definitely seems like they're overpaying for Respawn but I wish them well. I wasn't too fond of Titanfall 2 but the original was one of the best shooters I've ever played. Really looking forward to see what Respawn brings to Star Wars.

Also hoping that EA doesn't force them to use Forcebite, I know it was designed with shooters in mind but that engine seems to cause a lot of problems.
ClaptoVaughn
(11-10-2017, 01:46 AM)
Prediction: their next game's prerelease will be rife with controversy over news of anti consumer micro transactions. Game will release to initially respectable sales but player base will dwindle quickly as the game has been dissected to be distributed in too many dlc chunks to retain players' interest.

Silence for a year after release, then we see a thread announcing their closure and someone posts the EA shallow grave pic to complete cycle.
SmoothRunningGun
(11-10-2017, 01:48 AM)

Originally Posted by plake

RI.... oh wait, DICE is thriving even though EA Bought them ten years ago. Nuances, people.

1 survived vs how many murdered? If Anthem fails what to do you think happens to bioware?
Yearsoflurking
(11-10-2017, 01:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Toni

Wonder what went on.

I heard of being a fan but this is much lol
Noleh8r
(11-10-2017, 01:49 AM)
Let's review this entire thing from the beginning, shall we?
  • West and Zampella were part of 2015, Inc. who developed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for EA.
  • West, Zampella, and about 20 other people left 2015 because they hated working with EA and formed Infinity Ward.
  • Infinity Ward created Call of Duty for Activision and was purchased by Activision the day after Call of Duty (2003) was released
  • Things went sour with Activision during Modern Warfare 2's development so Ward and Zampella left to form Respawn but while they were still at Infinity Ward working for Activision, they were working with EA secretly on the eventual deal for Titanfall.
  • Respawn relases two middling selling games for EA, one of which really appears to have had its release date deliberately set up by EA to fail.
  • Respawn sells to EA the following year.

This is a stupid industry.
SmoothRunningGun
(11-10-2017, 01:50 AM)

Originally Posted by Caldain

Definitely seems like they're overpaying for Respawn but I wish them well. I wasn't too fond of Titanfall 2 but the original was one of the best shooters I've ever played. Really looking forward to see what Respawn brings to Star Wars.

Also hoping that EA doesn't force them to use Forcebite, I know it was designed with shooters in mind but that engine seems to cause a lot of problems.

Aren't they using modified steam? You think ea's going to keep paying gabe.
Lucumo
(11-10-2017, 01:51 AM)

Originally Posted by PsihoPerihelion

Gee whiz, PapEA.

All that needs to be said.
DR2K
Doesn't buy fighting games to actually play them
(11-10-2017, 01:52 AM)
Well hopefully the devs have a back up plan and start up their own studio with the money.
michaelius
(11-10-2017, 01:57 AM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

I hope we still get more Titanfall......

Sure with consumable Titans aquired from loot boxes.
The Cartographer
(11-10-2017, 02:00 AM)

Originally Posted by Noleh8r

• West and Zampella were part of 2015, Inc. who developed Medal of Honor: Allied Assault for EA.
  • West, Zampella, and about 20 other people left 2015 because they hated working with EA and formed Infinity Ward.
  • Infinity Ward created Call of Duty for Activision and was purchased by Activision the day after Call of Duty (2003) was released
  • Things went sour with Activision during Modern Warfare 2's development so Ward and Zampella left to form Respawn but while they were still at Infinity Ward working for Activision, they were working with EA secretly on the eventual deal for Titanfall.
  • Respawn relases two middling selling games for EA, one of which really appears to have had its release date deliberately set up by EA to fail.

An ouroboros of foolishness.
Toni
(11-10-2017, 02:01 AM)

Originally Posted by Yearsoflurking

I heard of being a fan but this is much lol

*Bit Off topic*

Problem tho?.

Awesome contribution to the thread you provided there, so "lol" indeed.
Nikana
(11-10-2017, 02:03 AM)
Wasn't the whole reason they went independent to make what they wanna make and not have to talk to a publisher?
down 2 orth
(11-10-2017, 02:06 AM)
On the upside, this is probably an indicator that the Star Wars project is going really well.
Toni
(11-10-2017, 02:07 AM)

Originally Posted by Loch Doun

I didnt ever said they were perfect in my post, but that they take overall the best approach to development cycles and scheduling. 1st party Developers get no hassle and have extended development cycles. (GT, Horizon, The Last Guardian etc)

Microsoft doesnt have a good rep with 1st party output. And Nintendo has a different meta for the philosphy of their video games output. Titanfall could have been in a much better position to do well under Sony and ultimately not deal with self-sabotaging because of a pretty major release window f*ck up.
decisions
(11-10-2017, 02:39 AM)

Good post. Man this sucks.
Futaleufu
LOL, EA is the Bluebeard of publishers.
nush

Originally Posted by SirNinja

However long it takes them to release 3 titles that don't reach sales expectations.
newtypepilot
(11-10-2017, 02:41 AM)
press F to pay respects
Kid Ying
(11-10-2017, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by SirNinja

Four. Threetanfall will fail to meet expectations (even though it will sell gillions) and respawn will have to do an Battlefield spinoff. After that fails to meet another set of expectations, the Studio Will be closed and people will be relocated to other EA Studios. Some people will turn their heads to EA and Go to activision, so they can make the Battlefield killer
Wiped89
(11-10-2017, 02:56 AM)
Looks like they'll need to Respawn again soon heh
tusharngf
(11-10-2017, 03:15 AM)
so what are they going to develop now? next medal of honor?
TitusTroy
(11-10-2017, 03:15 AM)
this can only mean 1 thing- Titanfall/Mass Effect crossover game
Memorabilia
(11-10-2017, 03:33 AM)
RIP Titanfall. RIP Respawn. Sad.

Edit:

Christ, it seems like a bunch of jokers and soulless banksters run this industry nowadays. I sometimes wonder how the whole thing hasn't imploded already.
BizzyBum
(11-10-2017, 03:41 AM)
I feel bad for Respawn.

Titanfall 1 was an amazing multiplayer FPS that was hampered by being an Xbox One console exclusive back when Xbox One was still relatively new and not a lot of people had the console. A lot of people were also turned off that it had no single-player campaign and the MP lacked things to unlock so people got bored fast but the core gameplay was some of the finest shooting I ever played.

Then Titanfall 2 comes out and Respawn apologizes for no T1 campaign by making the best FPS campaign since Half-Life 2 and doubles down on the already excellent MP. Once again no one buys the game for whatever reason.

We'll have to see how Titanfall 3 fairs. Perhaps EA will give it some more love in the marketing and release date department and won't blast it with loot boxes. It's just crazy because I think the Titanfall multiplayer is some of the best shooting out there and yet no one plays it., or at least it's nowhere near as popular as I think it should be.
SmartWaffles
(11-10-2017, 03:46 AM)
What. Is. Respawn. Thinking??
MDSLKTR
(11-10-2017, 03:46 AM)

RI.... oh wait, DICE is thriving even though EA Bought them ten years ago. Nuances, people.

When you think about it EA only has Dice and fifa going for them this gen, its crazy.
Memorabilia
(11-10-2017, 03:53 AM)

How many devs has EA killed? How many are thriving?
ancelotti
(11-10-2017, 03:54 AM)

Originally Posted by down 2 orth

On the upside, this is probably an indicator that the Star Wars project is going really well.

This has to be it. They saw enough good work that they didn't want it jeopardized by Nexon's offer (which EA had a right to match). I love what they did with TF2 and I'm optimistic we'll see some more great stuff in their Star Wars game. It's a shame if the Nexon offer is ultimately what caused EA to kill Visceral. They deserved a better fate after consistently pumping out some pretty high quality titles.
TLZ
(11-10-2017, 03:56 AM)
RIP Respawn.

You will be remembered.
Omnii-chan
(11-10-2017, 04:00 AM)
Respawn just signed its death warrant.
truth411
(11-10-2017, 04:02 AM)

Originally Posted by Complistic

Aren't they made up of people who left infinity ward/activisions oppression?

Seriously!!! Am I the only one to remember all that drama. This doesn't make any since unless their just cashing out.
DonF
(11-10-2017, 04:07 AM)

Originally Posted by SmartWaffles

What. Is. Respawn. Thinking??

Steroyd
(11-10-2017, 05:59 AM)
Holy fuck, EA had already mistreated Titanfall by releasing it weeks after Battlefield before this acquisition.
Zok310
(11-10-2017, 06:14 AM)
RIP
Starbuck2907
(11-10-2017, 06:16 AM)
A small group of ex-Infinity Ward employees who got the shaft from Activision are now multi-millionaires (or will soon be) and have the chance to earn even more millions if their games sell well.

It's motivation for the studio to make great games.

If EA shuts it down, those folks will just walk down the street and start a new studio. That's basically what they did when they left Activision.

I don't worry about Respawn as much.

I would worry more about it getting gutted or having key employees leave (e.g. Bioware or Rare) than being shut down. If it does shut down, it looks like many of these folks will have the $$ to start over as independents again.

What intrigues me is why EA would want to buy them when they already have a very close relationship with them. It seems like EA must really, really like what they are doing. Either this Star Wars game is going to be GREAT or they have some other secret awesome game in development is my guess. I don't know that Titanfall's sales would garner such an investment.
Agent_4Seven
(11-10-2017, 06:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Blam

EA to Acquire Respawn Entertainment for up to $455 Million

This is literally a death sentence. RIP, Respawn.

Originally Posted by Nikana

Wasn't the whole reason they went independent to make what they wanna make and not have to talk to a publisher?

A huge amount of money can quickly make you change your mind.
WaterAstro
(11-10-2017, 06:47 AM)
Why?

For Respawn, they left one demon for another.

For EA, the Respawn brand isn't worth much.
Sanpei
(11-10-2017, 06:50 AM)
Bye bye Titanfall, bye bye Respawn....

TheAssist
(11-10-2017, 07:25 AM)
Spawnkill....

I really dont no what to say about it. This just seems so weird to me. In a time when EA does pretty much everything wrong and everything they touch fails or doesnt meet up "expectations"

I guess the leads of the studio are bound there for 3 years (and get a lot of money for it) and after they leave Respawn will do a shitty game and then get closed or "reintegrated" into other EA studios.

Maybe EA just wants to starve out CoD.
sinnergy
(11-10-2017, 07:34 AM)
Uh... not to be a Debby Downer, but this won't end well for Respawn.

And Titanfall.

But it looks like the owners love $$$ more, after all the bitching about Activision, and that they couldn't do their thing...

Weird move...
Friend of Sonic
(11-10-2017, 08:01 AM)
What is the point of buying these developers just to ruin them

Is this even possibly good business sense? I guess if they didn't ruin them, but eh
Duckhuntdog
(11-10-2017, 08:40 AM)

DICE has one thing that Respawn no longer has and that is leverage. To be more specific let's look at a quick breakdown between the two.

Respawn was an independent developer that had leverage of being the team behind CoD and their own IP, Titanfall. Who signed a long-term first right of refusal with EA. Now that they are owned by EA, EA owns their IP so the bulk of their leverage is gone. They are now just another studio who can be closed down on a whim and IP given to someone else to take over. Their leverage that they once had; their IP and ability to go with another publisher should EA pass as part of their first right of refusal,that's all gone.

DICE has leverage since they are tasked with the maintenance, development, support, and fixing of the proprietary, company-wide engine. Shuttering DICE would be brutal and painful across the whole of the company as the company that knows core tech behind the engine would mostly be lost. When you control the tech for a behemoth company like EA, you kind of are in an enviable position.

TLDR: Respawn in just another disposable studio under the EA umbrella with little leverage. DICE has Frostbyte and the entire company using said engine. They have a fair amount of leverage.
Duckhuntdog
(11-10-2017, 08:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Friend of Sonic

What is the point of buying these developers just to ruin them

Is this even possibly good business sense? I guess if they didn't ruin them, but eh

The point would be the IP and any tech the company has. Once you own all that, well do you really need the company anymore?
Thunder_God_Bane
(11-10-2017, 08:42 AM)

Originally Posted by Killdozer

All I have to say is:

Force Respawn to release TitanFall 2 at the worst possible time and even against EA's biggest IPs, watch as sales struggle, put Respawn in a tough position, acquire IP and assets on the cheap, force them to make shitty games, and eventually add the body to the pile.

Well played...but not really because it was fucking obvious ever since TitanFall2s release date was announced.

Respawn folks should just check out and focus working on their portfolios and resumes.

Loool so true.

*claps*
Koala Driving a Ferrari
(11-10-2017, 08:49 AM)

Originally Posted by Killdozer

All I have to say is:

Force Respawn to release TitanFall 2 at the worst possible time and even against EA's biggest IPs, watch as sales struggle, put Respawn in a tough position, acquire IP and assets on the cheap, force them to make shitty games, and eventually add the body to the pile.

Well played...but not really because it was fucking obvious ever since TitanFall2s release date was announced.

Respawn folks should just check out and focus working on their portfolios and resumes.

Nailed it. This was my first thought as soon as I read the thread title. Launching Titanfall 2 at the worst possible time was an intentional business move by EA. Sad news.
SmartWaffles
(11-10-2017, 09:02 AM)
https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...52593354059776

Originally Posted by Jason Schreier

Sequence of events:
1) Nexon makes offer for Respawn, per documentation sent to Kotaku
2) EA has first right of refusal, per documentation, and can make an offer
3) EA shuts down Visceral Games
4) EA announces that it has bought Respawn

I'm not sure which side of the possibilities I want to pick, Korean F2P monster Nexon or EA. It looks like per their agreement there is no other choice.