• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Blam
(11-10-2017, 11:12 PM)

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

The rumour is that Respawn were shopping themselves to Nexon, and EA had to match or beat Nexons offer to keep them.

So Nexon pushed out a pretty penny for Respawn damn. I wouldn't have had them under Nexon or EA.

Both kill games.
NecromorphTX
(11-10-2017, 11:33 PM)

And now, Respawn.
Blam
(11-10-2017, 11:48 PM)

Originally Posted by NecromorphTX

And now, Respawn.

Hurts to see such great companies turned to shit because of EA
newtypepilot
(11-11-2017, 12:45 AM)

Originally Posted by LordRaptor

The rumour is that Respawn were shopping themselves to Nexon, and EA had to match or beat Nexons offer to keep them.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...52593354059776

apparently yes. It seems EA really wanted that titanfall IP.
IISANDERII
(11-11-2017, 12:47 AM)
RIP Titanfall but it looks like many people at Respawn just made an assload of money so Iím happy for them. Iím sure part of this deal is that they have to continue working at Respawn/EA for a certain number of years and then they can cash out/Emancipate.
There may be a non compete clause so perhaps a couple more years after that and they can launch another start up.
down 2 orth
(11-11-2017, 01:21 AM)

Originally Posted by mustardpoodle

I'm getting a nasty hangover just looking at that
Liliana Eileen
(11-11-2017, 01:27 AM)

Originally Posted by Blam

Hurts to see such great companies turned to shit because of EA

Agreed! RIP Respawn :(
Xero
(11-11-2017, 01:34 AM)

Originally Posted by Malio

It's always the juniors.

so you you cant have an intelligent conversation with someone the best you can do is handwave what they say with "lol juniors".

I hope respawn still gets to work on titanfall 3. I would hate for the series to die and them sent to work on licensed games forever.
noqtic
(11-11-2017, 01:56 AM)

Originally Posted by NoKisum

Guess they won't "respawn" from this one.

I'm so sorry.

I'm actually surprised that nobody made that joke earlier lol.

But I hope this works out, Respawn could definitely break out (sales wise) with the steady decline of Call of Duty.
Justin Timberlake
(11-11-2017, 02:08 AM)
That's a very large buyout.

I fully expect these guys to ride the golden handcuffs for a few years to rest & vest and then peace to make another studio. Or maybe not; between this and the Activision lawsuit they're set for life.

Bad news for Titanfall fans but great news for Respawn employees. Can't knock the hustle.
Jharp
(11-11-2017, 08:11 AM)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't these guys leave Dreamworks Interacctive/2015 after the success of Allied Assault, because they couldn't handle the studio pushing them around? Then they got their own studio with Activision and slowly the same shit started happening until they left there in an incredibly public way, leading to a giant lawsuit?

Now they're letting EA acquire them?

Third time's a charm, I guess.
Shazz_rulez19
(11-11-2017, 11:47 AM)
The ONLY and when i say ONLY good thing that comes out of this is that titanfall might be made in the glorious frostbite engine. ive always wanted a cod style gameplay in a frostbite level engine. Now the question is how long till EA stabs em in the back.
theclaw135
(11-11-2017, 12:01 PM)

Originally Posted by Jharp

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't these guys leave Dreamworks Interacctive/2015 after the success of Allied Assault, because they couldn't handle the studio pushing them around? Then they got their own studio with Activision and slowly the same shit started happening until they left there in an incredibly public way, leading to a giant lawsuit?

Now they're letting EA acquire them?

Third time's a charm, I guess.

I don't remember anymore. Thought it was true they went behind Activision's back, what good it did them. Churning out Titanfall sequels instead of COD sequels isn't what I'd call an improvement.
Stormblessed
(11-11-2017, 12:15 PM)

Originally Posted by newtypepilot

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/st...52593354059776

apparently yes. It seems EA really wanted that titanfall IP.

I don't think that's all or even most of it. Titanfall isn't exactly doing great. Probably more fear that they could lose serious marketshare to a competitor if Respawn were bought by another company and produced something as big as CoD.
Colossal Moo
(11-12-2017, 02:48 AM)

Originally Posted by Alx

Some studios see their games underperform and sink their company. Others see their game underperform and sell their company for millions of dollars.
Everything considered, there are worse ways to play their cards.

First, how do we know Titan Fall 2 "underperformed"? Second, what does that even mean? Did it lose money? Did it not make enough money? What is enough? How much did it cost? What was the return on investment? My main point is everyone assumes the game didn't do well but we don't know how it did because we no longer get reliable US sales data and we have never gotten good sales data outside of the US and Japan (Media Create provides Japanese sales numbers).

My guess is Titan Fall 2 sold very well because EA wouldn't buy a studio for over $150 million if the game didn't make a LOT of money.