• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Calm Killer
In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
(06-11-2014, 07:29 PM)
Calm Killer's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

I played the shit out of them, especially 3, so I'd like to think I do "understand". I just don't see it though. Framerate was rarely a problem for the Halo series and while the visuals have usually not been mindblowing, they were serviceable. Online infrastructure have always been pretty good AFAIK.

Sure, Halo (along with CoD) have effectively the best mechanics in the shooter genre but this really doesn't bring anything much to the table except for compiling four old games and making them conveniently accessible on a new console. Why are people so easily excited?

I have basically stopped playing Multiplayer because basically the new Halos have sucked. This is bringing back the King. the GOAT. Halo 1 Pistol on Hang em High. Halo 2 MP with the best maps ever. Its like being fed steak for years and then getting spam for year. The steak is on the menu again. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Do I really need to go on? If you are not hyped to have an actual game worth playing online again, then you have a different outlook. You might just not belong to the in depth community that is Halo. /shrug. It shouldn't have to be explained.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed
(06-11-2014, 07:32 PM)
chubigans's Avatar
I really wonder how well the game has aged. Going back to no sprint/perk/progression/down the sights aiming is going to be a jolt for sure. I don't mind but I really wonder how different it's gonna feel.
ThatsMytrunks
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
ThatsMytrunks's Avatar

Originally Posted by chubigans

I really wonder how well the game has aged. Going back to no sprint/perk/progression/down the sights aiming is going to be a jolt for sure. I don't mind but I really wonder how different it's gonna feel.

I just played some Halo 2 vista using an XBone controller at 1080p/60fps. Holds up just fine. Had a better time playing than Halo 4.

But there were a ton of cheaters. :(
HiiiLife
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:33 PM)
HiiiLife's Avatar
Xbox was off my radar.

Till this was announced. Halo 2/3 & CoD4/MW2 are my favorite and first online shooters. I won't even bother with anything else when I get Halo 2 in my hands. I'm so excited. I don't even care about Halo 5.
BigTnaples
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
(06-11-2014, 07:35 PM)
BigTnaples's Avatar
Whats up with the lack of awesome Legendary Edition?



This of all games should have a killer CE.


Master Chief Statue
History of John 117 Art/Lore Book
Steel Case
etc.


I would throw money at them for one.
JackHerer
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:35 PM)
JackHerer's Avatar

Originally Posted by chubigans

I really wonder how well the game has aged. Going back to no sprint/perk/progression/down the sights aiming is going to be a jolt for sure. I don't mind but I really wonder how different it's gonna feel.

ADS has never been in Halo though. I think people who have played the games before will find it pretty easy to readjust to no sprint. Most people disliked perks in the first place so I don't see that being an issue for a lot of fans.
StalkerUKCG
Member
(06-11-2014, 07:40 PM)
StalkerUKCG's Avatar

Cross Posting #Balling
BigTnaples
Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
(06-11-2014, 07:42 PM)
BigTnaples's Avatar

Originally Posted by StalkerUKCG

Cross Posting #Balling

What is that? H2:A is not being sold as a stand alone game... Fan art?
Deputy Moonman
(06-11-2014, 07:42 PM)
Deputy Moonman's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

I played the shit out of them, especially 3, so I'd like to think I do "understand". I just don't see it though. Framerate was rarely a problem for the Halo series and while the visuals have usually not been mindblowing, they were serviceable. Online infrastructure have always been pretty good AFAIK.

Well for one, I think your point about visuals not being mind blowing is incorrect. The first Halo was incredible at the time, and each new Halo game, especially 3 and 4, have really ramped up the graphics department, if not in multiplayer, then at least in campaign.

And you kind of answered your own question:

Originally Posted by ElyrionX

Sure, Halo (along with CoD) have effectively the best mechanics in the shooter genre but this really doesn't bring anything much to the table except for compiling four old games and making them conveniently accessible on a new console. Why are people so easily excited?


StalkerUKCG
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:00 PM)
StalkerUKCG's Avatar

Originally Posted by BigTnaples

What is that? H2:A is not being sold as a stand alone game... Fan art?

It's not fan art it's official.

343i made box art for the anniversary to show it in promo material and stuff. Pulled it from an official image on the press site.
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:02 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar
Before you read this thread, step outside the world you know. Throw away any personal feelings you have towards Halo and try to think of something you love, something you cherish as an entertainment experience. Focus on those feelings and what they meant to you at they time that they did, in the way that they impacted you. Now, consider that same feeling for Halo fans.. But I think we all know there's more to it than that. Do you believe in fate, NeoGAF?

Let me tell you why you are here. You have come because you know something. What you know you can't explain but you feel it. You've felt it your whole life, felt that something is wrong with the world. You don't know what, but it's there like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

The Halo CE Pistol not having XBL multiplayer.

Do you know what it is? Halo is everywhere, it's all around us, here even in this thread. You can see it out your window or on your television. You feel it when you go to work, or go to church or pay your XBL Gold subscription. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

What truth you ask?

That this is one of the greatest fan services of any form of entertainment. Think about it; for $60 you get quite literally every single Halo Master Chief experience that ever existed WITH online multiplayer at 1080p, 60fps and on dedicated servers. It's arguably the greatest thing since sliced bread.

All the arguments, all the debates, all the wars.. poof. The underground communities that still play CE now have a home on the Xbox One, better than they could have ever imagined. The millions who started with Halo 2, their most beloved Halo multiplayer game that had its servers shutdown several years ago can now relive those memories. Halo 3, which could have been a better experience if the netcode wasn't a complete disaster with the projectile-based weaponry may now be redeemed to many. So much potential for greatness, both for longtime fans and newcomers.

The memories. The Halo CE gameplay. The Halo 2 maps and Objectives. The years of conflict over which Halo game was the best and should server as the model for future titles. 13 years of nonstop discussion over these topics (Seriously, how the hell are HaloGAF threads up to like 75* or some absurd number?

If 343 continues down this path of taking the community's suggestions more to heart when designing future Halo titles, there can only be bright things in their future. This Master Chief Collection is proof of that and serves as a metaphorical "first step" for a new studio that released the controversial (for a lack of a better word) Halo 4. Double Helix was in a similar position (in relation to how the community doubted/underestimated them), but with how they handled Killer Instinct before launch by showing the fighting communities so much love, they gained a lot of respect that propelled them into a rather exciting new KI release for a seemingly dead franchise. This approach could definitely benefit Halo 5.

*Every thread needs its hyperbole.


TLDR:

For a long time we felt like this:


At some points even like this:


And for years we thought there was no one who could help us:


But after the MCC announcement:


Love, peace, harmony, Halo. The Plasma Rifle/Pistol stun has returned.
Magwik
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:04 PM)
People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:05 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar
halo fans huh...
Lactose_Intolerant
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:05 PM)
Lactose_Intolerant's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

Pretty much. They want their good fps games again. If they have to replay the old ones to get that, so be it.
Scooby
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:06 PM)
Scooby's Avatar
You are the best
Pein
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:06 PM)
Pein's Avatar
People are excited because Halo 2 and 3 were great and now they're back with better visuals, plus its a lotta game for $60.

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

yeah, this too.
GrizzNKev
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:06 PM)
GrizzNKev's Avatar
I'd be right there with you if I had an Xbox One. I can't afford it right now, but if I could, I would buy that console just to play a bunch of games I already own multiple copies of.
Goodacre0081
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)
Goodacre0081's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

it kinda feels like Halo fans are more exited for Halo2A than the next game in the series. that's not a good thing and kind of a slap in the face of 323i
Jito
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

Yeh this. Still not excited for Halo 5 but H2A looked great.
Smutpeddler
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)
Smutpeddler's Avatar
Love the thread. I'll be there for the collection
TRI Mike
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)
TRI Mike's Avatar
I'm very excited just because Halo 2 is one of my favorite games ever and I truly miss its multiplayer. Halo 1 and 3 are very, very nice bonuses to the collection and Halo 4 was, well, OK I guess.
Einbroch
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)
Einbroch's Avatar
HaloGAF is scary.
Oggmeiler
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:07 PM)
That first .gif
FUNKNOWN iXi
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
FUNKNOWN iXi's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

I think it has less to do with Halo 4 and more to do with the fact that people can go from playing 2v2 Chill Out straight to playing 4v4 One Flag CTF on Terminal.
Eric WK
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
Eric WK's Avatar
After 2007, multiplayer shooters went in the wrong direction - overly complicated mechanics and systems with spoon-fed progression. So yeah, it's going to be exciting to recapture some of that earlier magic.

It won't be the same, but it's the closest we'll get.
Tucah
you speak so well
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
Tucah's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

yep.
kulapik
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
kulapik's Avatar
4000 gamerscore. That's the reason.
dragonbane
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
dragonbane's Avatar
Interesting insight into the human psyche. Thanks OP :D
jem0208
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:08 PM)
jem0208's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

That's not true. Halo 4 was a great game, a really solid FPS. However by Halo standards it was probably near the bottom of the pile. That's the issue; It wasn't a good Halo game.


Now I personally loved Halo 4 (I also love all the others) and I'm excited for this because we get to play Halo 2 and CE online again.
Elor_Nocudee
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:09 PM)
Elor_Nocudee's Avatar
4000 gamer score and remasters of Halo 1 & 2 (with their full MP) is the reason, and a good one.
E92 M3
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:09 PM)
E92 M3's Avatar
4 v 4 Team Slayer Lockout
Eric WK
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:10 PM)
Eric WK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Goodacre0081

it kinda feels like Halo fans are more exited for Halo2A than the next game in the series. that's not a good thing and kind of a slap in the face of 323i

If anything, this is providing 343i with an opportunity to shape the experience of Halo 5 based on how the community receives and plays the Master Chief Collection.
block tower
bacon grease drizzle
hot donutz in mah mouf
(06-11-2014, 08:10 PM)
hands down the reason people are excited are because of Halo 1 and Halo 2 being playable over XBL in their original form. hell, you could never play Halo 1's multiplayer over XBL before, so that reason enough. it'll be a lot of fun!
QaaQer
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:11 PM)
QaaQer's Avatar
nostalgia is a funny thing, and it makes people feel old.

I wonder what games in 10 years will have threads like this one.
skatebored
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:11 PM)
skatebored's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

Halo 4 MP wasn't bad at all. Biggest problem was not enough players to sustain.
Zeyphersan
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
I'm not what you would call a Halo fan, I haven't really played the series yet (hence why I'm excited).

But this REALLY ups the bar as far as HD remastered collections go. 4 full games, custom playlists of levels across all the games, 100 multiplayer maps, intact multiplayer from all of them, the value is insane.

I hope it does gangbusters for Microsoft and other companies have to step up their game, I really do. Wind Waker HD looked beautiful and is a great game, but one game remastered for $50 versus 4 games for $60. It even kicks Sony's offerings in the ass, and I have a lot of Sony HD collections.
BigDug13
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
BigDug13's Avatar

Originally Posted by Goodacre0081

it kinda feels like Halo fans are more exited for Halo2A than the next game in the series. that's not a good thing and kind of a slap in the face of 323i

Not sure what a development studio should expect when being handed someone else's creation. Halo 2 created by Bungie will most likely be better than any Halo created by 323.
BeforeU
Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
BeforeU's Avatar
Hopefully MLG return, Twitch streaming, xbox Record that, late night multiplayer sessions with the friends, legendary 4 player co-op, 4000 gamescore, 1080p/60fps all maps, dedicated servers. OMG I JUST CANT TAKE IT ALL.
Freeman
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
Very good value if you like Halo. I can't stand Halo so I'm out.

I can't understand people who get excited by gamescore, that is beyond me.
soldat7
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
soldat7's Avatar

Originally Posted by JB1981

If I just want to play Halo 3 MP, is that a possibility or do the maps from Halo 1, 2 and 3 all appear in the playlists and players are at the mercy of the voting system?

I'd like to know this as well. Could be jarring bouncing between teh Haloz, and I just want to play 2!
PixelNinja
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:12 PM)
Endless nights of custom games and immersing myself in a world that has grand vistas that my eyes will never witness in real life.

People always say that Halo is finished when the truth is, it's just getting started.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:13 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Untalkative_Bunny

nostalgia is a funny thing, and it makes people feel old.

I wonder what games in 10 years will have threads like this one.

wait for the FF7 remake

or maybe the Majora's Mask 3D remake they inevitably announce tonight, you know zelda fans
Jito
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by skatebored

Halo 4 MP wasn't bad at all. Biggest problem was not enough players to sustain.

Hmmm wonder why that was?
sixteen-bit
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

Halo 4 is included in the compilation tho
Jtyettis
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:13 PM)
Edge says: we ain't.
ViewtifulJC
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)
ViewtifulJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Halo 4 is included in the compilation tho

They included Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in the blu-ray set too, we just don't talk about it
Palette Swap
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)
Palette Swap's Avatar

Originally Posted by StaticJam

People are excited because Halo 4 was just THAT bad.

Nailed it. That collection is rekindling the Halo flame but I kind of fear things will turn to lukewarm shit once Halo 5 hits.
The Flash
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)
I too am excited about playing the old Halos online again
BigDug13
Member
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)
BigDug13's Avatar

Originally Posted by sixteen-bit

Halo 4 is included in the compilation tho

Halo 4 campaign was fine though, right? Just the multiplayer kinda blew? Halo 4 campaign being in this compilation...nothing wrong with that.
gorfyako
Banned
(06-11-2014, 08:14 PM)
I'm excited for the eventual PC release. Probably won't purchase it right away, but it'll be neat to see Halo on Steam.

Thread Tools