Originally Posted by rjinaz

Lots of salty posts there. Love it.

lolol

[edit]

Asian..BATMAN!?
purseowner
(07-16-2017, 05:43 PM)

Originally Posted by PowderedToast

as a trans person I doubt most people will genuinely expect a gender dysphoric character other than a few opening lines mentioning it

I just hope the interesting thinkpieces that will for sure come out of it don't lead to unpleasant discourse.
Baleoce

Originally Posted by JoeM86

Poor Joanna Lumley, always getting ignored.

She was the first female to play the role.

I love that Comic Relief sketch. Jonathan Pryce is amazing in it xD
blly155

Poor Joanna Lumley, always getting ignored.

She was the first female to play the role.

play the role yeah but not actually play the doctor in the main series. by your logic we might as well say mr bean is the doctor.
iMax
One other thing I've noticed from both teaser trailers is a whole new visual look for the show.

New aspect ratio and a more cinematic look. Finally embracing the other BBC dramas!
Diprosalic
Banned

Originally Posted by Linkstrikesback

Is it too much to ask for gaf to not spoil it in the thread title for once, christ.

Over half an hour before I was expecting and would have been nice if the OP was just the bbc tweet and trailer. Notice how they had the common sense in the tweet to not include the name? =_=.

lmao. it's a casting announcement.
RDreamer
Awesome. Looking forward to it and hoping it can feel fresh. Haven't watched this newest season yet, and I'm hoping that's good, too.
Slowdive
Banned
Can't believe they filmed a two Doctor special with her and Eccleston years ago:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-tMzk9cMg
Fancyarcher
(07-16-2017, 05:44 PM)
Good choice. I like her a lot in Broadchurch.
JoeM86

Originally Posted by blly155

play the role yeah but not actually play the doctor in the main series. by your logic we might as well say mr bean is the doctor.

:p

Just saying :P
matrixman92
I've only seen her in that one episode of black mirror, might need to watch her other stuff
the_firewithin
whats her natural hair color? she looks better brunette but guess maybe she would look too similar to her broadchurch character?
torre_avenue
Since Chibnall is casting Broadchurch characters as Doctor Who folk, I want the kid who played Danny to be a radical new take on the Master.
Proteus
BOSS

Originally Posted by Slowdive

Can't believe they filmed a two Doctor special with her and Eccleston years ago:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1-tMzk9cMg

Watched a bit of that. Yeah, she can play the role just fine.
Spork4000
(07-16-2017, 05:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Einchy

lolol

?
liquidtmd
Banned

lolol

[edit]

Bwuhahaha that's EXACTLY the kind of Twitter posts I was expecting.
jwk94

Originally Posted by Chezzymann

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

I fully expect anyone who knows the doctor in-universe to mention it. honestly, I wouldn't mind either. It'd be shocking as hell. Just don't dwell onit.
Chained Prometheus

Originally Posted by Bobby Roberts

Rory Williams approves

https://twitter.com/RattyBurvil/stat...11272481034240

I was saying in yesterday's thread - I see her landing somewhere between Five and Nine in terms of personality. I don't think she's gonna be outsized and silly like Ten & Eleven were.

Yeah, I've been thinking Whittaker's Doctor will probably be a lot like Nine. Could definitely see some shades of Five in there too, now that I think about it.
M.Bluth
Very happy they went with her and not that Marshall guy who's been rumored to be the favorite.
Though I was expecting she'd be ginger (or ginger-ish) xD
Plum
jack_package_200
Banned
I wonder what her outfit will look like.

Ecclesten, Tennant, and Smith's outfits had a lot of personality to them. Capaldi's was eh.
SpaceWolf
Banned
Oh man, the twitter reactions...

Should James Bond be a woman? Should Wonder Woman be a man? Should Paddington Bear be a dog?
-5 retweets 17 likes

blly155
she's perfect.
rjinaz

lolol

[edit]

Asian..BATMAN!?

Who knew misogynists could have some good ideas too?!
Bold One
I stopped watching Dr'ho years ago - well, after Matt Smith left.

But I'll be back for Jodie - loved her in ATB. Happy to represent.

Hope John Boyega sends a tweet her way.
funkystudent
Just brain farting now. Jodie is a very slim women. When they do the regeneration for the next doctor after her and if its a man of average or greater build they are gonna have to write around the whole wearing the same clothes post regeneration thing.

That could be fun.
Maddocks
Hopefully the stories will be good and for the love of god, not a bunch of jokes about being female. I think that would kill any and all enjoyment if the doctor all of a sudden became a 13 year old boy discovering boobs every episode.

I never seen anything she has done, but I will watch.

Went to Gallifrey base for the laughs, lots of people enjoy the next doctor, and of course you have some not so great posts by people who swear this is the end of times for the doctor and it will be cancelled after the first episode.
Caelus
(07-16-2017, 05:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Slowdive

Hearing her speak in these videos has sold me on her.

I'm so excited!
MartyStu

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

The are going to. At least for the first 2 episodes.

Same thing happened to Capaldi and how old he was.

Originally Posted by Fury451

She's wearing his old clothes. The usual "first episode after regeneration" thing. Not her final look I imagine, unless you mean the hair.

The hair looks great I think. Very fitting.

I am more curious about her regular attire. Are they going the missy route or will she have tailored masculine outfits?
adj_noun
Admit it, how many of you bet on Marshall
linkboy

The people who are having meltdowns are the same group of morons who have a meltdown any time a woman takes a role predominately played by a man, looks at them or even exists.

Aka, self-absorbed assholes who think the world revolves around their gender.

I'm looking forward to the new series. After watching Broadchurch and the great job Jodi did (the entire cast, actually), I'm looking forward to her in the role. She's a fantastic actor and I think she'll do great.
Ryuelli
Was never able to get into Capaldi's doctor and Matt Smith was very hit and miss for me. Hoping she's as good as David Tennant and Christopher Eccleston were.
Bluth54
(07-16-2017, 05:47 PM)

Originally Posted by autumnleaf

I need to see more butt hurt white middle aged male traditionalist reactions.

Look at the twitter reveal you'll find plenty of salty people.
rtcn63

Originally Posted by Plum

Yes that's Katy Manning with a stuffed panda
El Topo
To be honest, I think CFC Tweet has a point. An Asian as Batman would be great and if WW ever gets to the 13th movie incarnation they could certainly switch things up.
JoeM86
My only concern is the possible social connotations and response should the 14th, or subsequent Doctors be male. It could get messy.

Social attitudes and response how they are right now, I just don't see the return to a male actor after her for a while.
jackdoe
(07-16-2017, 05:48 PM)
The only disappointing thing is that they didn't get a minority woman to play 13 for maximum salt.
Mariolee

Originally Posted by iMax

One other thing I've noticed from both teaser trailers is a whole new visual look for the show.

New aspect ratio and a more cinematic look. Finally embracing the other BBC dramas!

I don't know how much we should be looking into the teaser trailers as an indicator for how the new series will be shot.
Garrett Hawke

Originally Posted by El Topo

To be honest, I think CFC Tweet has a point. An Asian as Batman would be great and if WW ever gets to the 13th movie incarnation they could certainly switch things up.

Lmao
Sai-kun
Banned
Wow, this is awesome :D I'll definitely start watching again for this!

the meltdowns are incredible and i live for them. every time i read one my skin clears up a little more.
Wiseblade
They got a woman and it's not Olivia Coleman?! THE BEEB CAN'T DO ANYTHING RIGH-it's the woman from Attack the Block? I'm okay with this.
Crab
Famed for his Europa Universalis IV exploits
It'll be interesting to see what they do with Doctor's gender rather than outwards sex characteristics. Will he necessarily switch to using 'she' - he has a had a male identity for thousands of years, after all. Then again, I'm not sure they'd experiment with something that complicated and potentially controversial.
TrueBlue

lolol

[edit]

Asian..BATMAN!?

I really hate my club's fans sometomes.
Sheroking

My only concern is the possible social connotations and response should the 14th, or subsequent Doctors be male. It could get messy.

I don't think so.

At least, if they regress I don't see them facing anywhere near the heat for it as they would have this time out.
Lebron
Was hoping for Michael B Jordan, but this is a good second alternative
iMax

Originally Posted by SpaceWolf

Oh man, the twitter reactions...

These are all false comparisons.

We're talking about a fictional alien space being here that is part of a whole-body cellular regenerative species, not a human being. There are no rules. Anything is possible, and that's why the show is so fantastic.
Hot Coldman
Banned
I hope the companion is a woman too.
Proteus
BOSS

Originally Posted by Mariolee

I don't know how much we should be looking into the teaser trailers as an indicator for how the new series will be shot.

Yup. This is thrown together for an announcement. The look here could mean absolutely nothing.
adj_noun
(07-16-2017, 05:49 PM)

Originally Posted by El Topo

if WW ever gets to the 13th movie incarnation they could certainly switch things up.

Simon Williams gonna sue for gimmick infringement
Spork4000
(07-16-2017, 05:49 PM)
This news pleases me greatly.