• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Horror-GAF |OT| : Page 4
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-03-2012, 11:19 PM)
.
Host Samurai
Member
(12-03-2012, 11:21 PM)
Host Samurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mother_Sanchez

I'm going to do what others have and highly suggest Grave Encounters. If you liked the Blair Witch style of filming, which was quite awesome when it first came out. You'll love this mind fuckery.

Will deff check that out.
Secret Fawful
Banned
(12-03-2012, 11:21 PM)

Originally Posted by botty



Underrated Horror classic, with some comedic elements too. Also has a rarely seen in horror cinema 'young black' main protagonist.

This movie is the best. I love it a lot.
Mother_Sanchez
Junior Member
(12-03-2012, 11:21 PM)
Mother_Sanchez's Avatar

Originally Posted by strobogo

I was going to kick the mothafucka's ass all over dreamland, son.

slowclap.gif
Host Samurai
Member
(12-03-2012, 11:25 PM)
Host Samurai's Avatar
There is a movie ive seen on Netflix a few months ago called Dream Home or Dream House. Its an Asian horror movie. Its not really scary but boy is it gruesome. Its a slasher film that has some of the most gruesome over the top deaths that I have ever seen.
Lumpy Onion
Member
(12-03-2012, 11:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Nemesis_

House of Leaves is such a flawless piece of horror literature, I really doubt any director could do it justice. :(

I love that book. Actually, while watching Grave Encounters I immediately thought of House of Leaves. When they realize the building just goes on forever and they are exploring and filming it for days it reminded me of the neverending stairs in House of Leaves.
Horseticuffs
Full werewolf off the buckle
(12-04-2012, 02:23 AM)
Horseticuffs's Avatar
You guys know what I saw that blew my shit away? Hausu.
Simply amazing, but I've only found it on iTunes.
malfcn
Member
(12-04-2012, 03:00 AM)
malfcn's Avatar
Saw a poster for Outpost. Anyone?
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(12-04-2012, 03:39 AM)
FrenchMovieTheme's Avatar

Originally Posted by GrumpyAlien

I love that book. Actually, while watching Grave Encounters I immediately thought of House of Leaves. When they realize the building just goes on forever and they are exploring and filming it for days it reminded me of the neverending stairs in House of Leaves.

the movie actually "borrowed" a few things from house of leaves.
Lumpy Onion
Member
(12-04-2012, 03:56 AM)

Originally Posted by malfcn

Saw a poster for Outpost. Anyone?

I really liked this one. It stars Ray Stevenson (Tidus Pullo in Rome), and it's about these soldiers that investigate this old WW2 fortification in the forests of Russia (or nearabouts). Stuff obviously happens, but I will leave it at that. The atmosphere in a few scenes gave me chills a few times. Very scary. And it's rather intelligent/psychological horror too. Yeah, I really enjoyed this one.
Melchiah
Member
(12-04-2012, 07:02 PM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mother_Sanchez

I'm going to do what others have and highly suggest Grave Encounters. If you liked the Blair Witch style of filming, which was quite awesome when it first came out. You'll love this mind fuckery.

I can't believe Grave Encounters is endorsed by many here, as I and my friends found it mediocre at best, and I do like found footage films, if they're actually good, like [REC] and The Poughkeepsie Tapes.
Creamium
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
(12-04-2012, 07:24 PM)
Creamium's Avatar

Originally Posted by Melchiah

I can't believe Grave Encounters is endorsed by many here, as I and my friends found it mediocre at best, and I do like found footage films, if they're actually good, like [REC] and The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

Yeah, I watched Grave Encounters yesterday because of the recommendations here, and it thought was okay, but nothing special. In that category, [REC] 1 & 2 are a lot better. Never heard of The Poughkeepsie Tapes, will have to check it out.
Melchiah
Member
(12-04-2012, 08:04 PM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Creamium

Never heard of The Poughkeepsie Tapes, will have to check it out.

I definitely recommend to do so. It's one of the most twisted movies I've seen since Martyrs.
Hilbert
Deep into his 30th decade
(12-04-2012, 11:10 PM)
Hilbert's Avatar
You have to go for the granddaddy of found footage: Cannibal Holocaust!
TheJollyCorner
(12-04-2012, 11:20 PM)
TheJollyCorner's Avatar
One of my favorites of the last 11 years:



Should be on Netflix streaming for those that haven't seen it. Really great atmosphere and horribly disturbing when it's all said and done.

Oh... and it produced this fantastic gif:




The DVD is great because in the extras there is a whole element to the film that's completely cut from the Theatrical Version: the crazy lady that lives in the hospital during the events of the film. Really strange.
Melchiah
Member
(12-04-2012, 11:21 PM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheJollyCorner

One of my favorites of the last 11 years:

Yep, one of my top 10 movies of all-time.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(12-04-2012, 11:22 PM)
Combichristoffersen's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheJollyCorner

One of my favorites of the last 11 years:



Should be on Netflix streaming for those that haven't seen it. Really great atmosphere and horribly disturbing when it's all said and done.

Oh... and it produced this fantastic gif:




The DVD is great because in the extras there is a whole element to the film that's completely cut from the Theatrical Version: the crazy lady that lives in the hospital during the events of the film. Really strange.

For some reason GAF dislikes it, but personally I think it's great.

'I live in the weak and the wounded... doc'.

Anyway, I watched 'Bride of Frankenstein' last night. It was pretty good, but I really can't agree with those who hold it as being better than the original 'Frankenstein'.
Creamium
shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
(12-05-2012, 12:01 AM)
Creamium's Avatar
There are definitely some Session 9 fans around here... There was a 'recent horror flicks' thread a while ago and it got mentioned a few times. Made me check it out.

And I loved it. You need to give it some time, but I thought it was incredible. Great tension & atmosphere and very creepy.
Mother_Sanchez
Junior Member
(12-05-2012, 12:11 AM)
Mother_Sanchez's Avatar

Originally Posted by Melchiah

I can't believe Grave Encounters is endorsed by many here, as I and my friends found it mediocre at best, and I do like found footage films, if they're actually good, like [REC] and The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

[REC] was very good. I dunno. Personal preference for Grave Encounters really. I suppose I liked it due to the suspense and atmosphere it gave off. I'm not much for shock gore or whatever it's called now, but a good horror/suspense movie will always be up my alley.
Enco
Member
(12-05-2012, 12:14 AM)
Enco's Avatar
Sinister was surprisingly scary.

I'm not one to get scared by movies but Sinister was great.
Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 12:21 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mother_Sanchez

[REC] was very good. I dunno. Personal preference for Grave Encounters really. I suppose I liked it due to the suspense and atmosphere it gave off. I'm not much for shock gore or whatever it's called now, but a good horror/suspense movie will always be up my alley.

I'm the same, better a good atmosphere than gore galore, and that's exactly why I didn't really like the film.
strobogo
Banned
(12-05-2012, 01:58 AM)
Session 9 is good, but I can't believe people have it in all time favorite levels or anything. It's not THAT good by any stretch.
Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:04 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by strobogo

Session 9 is good, but I can't believe people have it in all time favorite levels or anything. It's not THAT good by any stretch.

Different strokes for different folks. Top 10s are based on an opinion, there's no such thing as a list of films, that don't factually belong there.
water_wendi
Water is not wet!
(12-05-2012, 02:06 AM)
water_wendi's Avatar

Originally Posted by strobogo

Session 9 is good, but I can't believe people have it in all time favorite levels or anything. It's not THAT good by any stretch.

Its probably my favorite movie out of every genre. i like how on the surface theres some ambiguity to what actually happened (possession vs psychosis) but on closer inspection there is an answer.

And the sound track is phenomenal. Its so jarring and unsettling. After i watched Noroi a month or so ago i started watching the rest of Koji Shiraishis stuff. There is one part during Occult where they are hiking up the mountains. The music during that scene reminds me so much of Session 9s soundtrack. The music also is featured in the trailer. Shit is creepy lol.
Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:10 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by water_wendi

Its probably my favorite movie out of every genre. i like how on the surface theres some ambiguity to what actually happened (possession vs psychosis) but on closer inspection there is an answer.

And the sound track is phenomenal. Its so jarring and unsettling. After i watched Noroi a month or so ago i started watching the rest of Koji Shiraishis stuff. There is one part during Occult where they are hiking up the mountains. The music during that scene reminds me so much of Session 9s soundtrack. The music also is featured in the trailer. Shit is creepy lol.

Exactly. I like it when things are left somewhat unresolved, like in Martyrs.

The soundtrack is amazing. I actually bought it after seeing the movie, which is something I rarily do.
strobogo
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:18 AM)
I like it, I just don't see it being a "my favorite movie" type of movie.
Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:20 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by strobogo

I like it, I just don't see it being a "my favorite movie" type of movie.

Well, my top 10 mostly consists of horror movies eitherway. ;)
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:22 AM)
The Return of's Avatar

Originally Posted by Combichristoffersen

For some reason GAF dislikes it, but personally I think it's great.

yeah, no. Majority people i see mention the movie here like it and I have no clue why. It's pretty bad/average. Anyway, I'm not really a fan of the whole gore horror type movies, is The Martyrs still worth a watch? I always skipped it cause I recall someone telling me there is 45 mins of that.
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:23 AM)
.
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:26 AM)
The Return of's Avatar

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

There is nothing in the film that can be accurately described as "45 minutes of gore."

k, i'll go call my friend a lying piece of shit and watch it.
Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:30 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar
Yeah, the "torture porn" part in Martyrs has often been exaggerated. It's there, but it's definitely not something like Hostel.
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:32 AM)
.
water_wendi
Water is not wet!
(12-05-2012, 02:33 AM)
water_wendi's Avatar
i dont remember much of Martyrs short of the ending and a couple key scenes. It didnt really do much for me. While i doubt very seriously ill ever view it a second time i do not regret watching it the first time.
CREMSteve
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:34 AM)
CREMSteve's Avatar

Originally Posted by malfcn

Saw a poster for Outpost. Anyone?

The Outpost is an awesome flick.

The sequel isn't as good, but still decent.
Typographenia
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:35 AM)
Typographenia's Avatar
Watched "Rumpelstiltskin" last night. I expected a horror, but I got a really ridiculous comedy-ish thing.


I present to you "Evil Rumpelstiltskin on a motorcycle chasing after a baby while faux heavy metal plays in the background."

Melchiah
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:36 AM)
Melchiah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

He asked about "gore."

Potato, potatoe.
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:40 AM)
The Return of's Avatar

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

He asked about "gore."

I think it was pretty clear what part I was referring to when I said 45 mins long since the movie is well known for it. But thanks anyway
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:40 AM)
.
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:44 AM)
The Return of's Avatar

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake


Sorry, I am not a mind reader. I have to read words as they are typed. :P

Not really about being a mind reader. More so about using context clues.
water_wendi
Water is not wet!
(12-05-2012, 02:46 AM)
water_wendi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Typographenia

Watched "Rumpelstiltskin" last night. I expected a horror, but I got a really ridiculous comedy-ish thing.


I present to you "Evil Rumpelstiltskin on a motorcycle chasing after a baby while faux heavy metal plays in the background."

i love these cheesy horror movies. From what i remember its no Leprechaun however.
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-05-2012, 02:47 AM)
.
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 02:48 AM)
The Return of's Avatar
It's been awhile since I've watched a legit cheesy horror movie. Either they are just outright bad or actually decent. Maybe there are some on netflix

Originally Posted by Count Dookkake

Oh, ok. Let's go back and take a look...



???

I see nothing in here that is a contextual clue for "torture porn." I do see specific references to "gore" and "45 min[ute]s."

:P

There is a torture scene that is often exaggerated to be near a hour long. So 45 mins of Gore is pretty close to a hour long torture scene. There is no need to act stupid and I don't see why you are acting like that either. You are pretty much just being a dick for no reason.
Combichristoffersen
Combovers don't work when there is no hair
(12-05-2012, 03:22 AM)
Combichristoffersen's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tguy

yeah, no. Majority people i see mention the movie here like it and I have no clue why. It's pretty bad/average. Anyway, I'm not really a fan of the whole gore horror type movies, is The Martyrs still worth a watch? I always skipped it cause I recall someone telling me there is 45 mins of that.

Nah, most of the time I see it mentioned there will be one GAFfer saying he liked it and three telling him he's wrong because it sucked :p

Currently watching OG Wolfman. It's good, but not as good as OG Frankenstein which isn't as good as Bela Lugosi's Dracula.
Count Dookkake
Member
(12-05-2012, 03:25 AM)
.
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(12-05-2012, 03:30 AM)
FrenchMovieTheme's Avatar
watched this movie Silent House tonight. fucking sucked. i'm getting worn out with these movies like the strangers and this one and all the others where a group of "psychopaths" or whatever tornment people or persons. i guess the premise itself is just whatever but the actions of the victims are just fucking stupid.

like when the chick gets out of the house and finds the dude in the SUV and he says "where's your dad?" and she says GOOBLE GOBBLE HE UP STAIRS IN THE HOUSE BOO HOO WAH WAH WAH. and then he says "WELP WE GOTS TO GO BACK!" and she says "wait we need to get help!" and he's basically like i'm sorry i didn't hear what you just said and now i'm going to drive back to the house and go inside doe lulz

i also didn't really like the one camera gimmick much. didn't necessarily hate it but i dont think it added much to the movie. same ol shit!

p.s.

i should make it clear that i'm actually in the middle of watching it... and it has actually taken an odd turn...
The Return of
Banned
(12-05-2012, 04:10 AM)
The Return of's Avatar

Originally Posted by FrenchMovieTheme

watched this movie Silent House tonight. fucking sucked. i'm getting worn out with these movies like the strangers and this one and all the others where a group of "psychopaths" or whatever tornment people or persons. i guess the premise itself is just whatever but the actions of the victims are just fucking stupid.

like when the chick gets out of the house and finds the dude in the SUV and he says "where's your dad?" and she says GOOBLE GOBBLE HE UP STAIRS IN THE HOUSE BOO HOO WAH WAH WAH. and then he says "WELP WE GOTS TO GO BACK!" and she says "wait we need to get help!" and he's basically like i'm sorry i didn't hear what you just said and now i'm going to drive back to the house and go inside doe lulz

i also didn't really like the one camera gimmick much. didn't necessarily hate it but i dont think it added much to the movie. same ol shit!

p.s.

i should make it clear that i'm actually in the middle of watching it... and it has actually taken an odd turn...

Yeah, you should finish the movie first lol. I didn't dislike it as much as you seem to, but I agree about the one take thing. It's a cool achievement, but it does nothing for me personally. Was an okay movie though, I liked the main actress acting though.
FrenchMovieTheme
I'm waiting for a star to fall
(12-05-2012, 04:56 AM)
FrenchMovieTheme's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tguy

Yeah, you should finish the movie first lol. I didn't dislike it as much as you seem to, but I agree about the one take thing. It's a cool achievement, but it does nothing for me personally. Was an okay movie though, I liked the main actress acting though.

i finished it. i suppose it wasn't as bad as i first thought. kind of a twist i suppose.... still kind of a boring movie. i would have called the movie Silent House: The girl who got molested by her father and then killed him
Typographenia
Member
(12-05-2012, 05:13 AM)
Typographenia's Avatar

Originally Posted by water_wendi

i love these cheesy horror movies. From what i remember its no Leprechaun however.

Definitely not, but, yeah, it was fun. Surprisingly, the chauvinistic creep was the most enjoyable character in the movie. Who would have thought?



Just got done with Poltergeist 2. Never saw it before, and WOW, that was awful compared to the original. Felt super phoned in, and it just wasn't very good.
JJD
Member
(12-05-2012, 05:32 AM)
JJD's Avatar

Originally Posted by Metalmarc

Ok i watched the thing 2011 today

and it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be sure it's nowhere near as good as john carpenter's 1982 film, but i enjoyed it. i view it as a prequel tribute to carpenters classic rather than a bad remake like a small few thought it was

The movie is not that bad, but it's such a wasted opportunity. Before the movie begins we already know pretty much everything that is going to happen. There is no suspense. We know the fate of the norwegians.

After more than 20 years after the amazing original it would be far more interesting to know what happened to MacReady and Nauls.

Plus they started the movie with the intention of going big with practical effects but had to scale down and use CGI heavily because of the budget.

Anyway, can anyone recommend me some good horror comics? Being available digitally is a big plus. The last one I've read is Scott Snyder's Severed.

I saw TTOB Lot 13 recommendation but I want more options!
Hilbert
Deep into his 30th decade
(12-05-2012, 07:16 AM)
Hilbert's Avatar

Originally Posted by JJD


Anyway, can anyone recommend me some good horror comics? Being available digitally is a big plus. The last one I've read is Scott Snyder's Severed.

I saw TTOB Lot 13 recommendation but I want more options!

If you are ok with manga, I would really recommend comics by Junji Ito. Museum of Terror, Gyo and Uzumaki are excellent.

Thread Tools