• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Tacitus_
Member
(10-11-2017, 11:26 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

I get what it's based off, but it's still a Super Heavy tank based on appearances, and that doesn't fit with how Space Marines are used in the current setting. The first of those images (the fellblade) is from the Great Crusade when Space Marines operated as more traditional armies with thousands and thousands of Marines available, it fit in with them there. That isn't how chapters of around 1000 Marines operate in the 41st millenium, so having a super heavy available doesn't make much sense. There aren't going to be forces of Space Marines large enough to warrant the user of super heavy vehicles as they're aimed at more for quick strike missions.

Maybe if it was some sort of super-heavy transport for a full company of Marines that wouldn't be too bad, though.

Hey, Gman is back and he's bringing back the Crusade!

As for splitting the legions, well..

‘I should not have done it,’ repeated Guilliman, gesturing expressively as he spoke. ‘I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I was following the Emperor’s wishes, letting men rule the affairs of men.’

Originally Posted by Xis

And later others accuse him of building a new de-facto Legion; he stations a full ten chapters to guard Ultramar, but he denies that was his intent.

He is also accused of building up the Unnumbered Sons as a Legion, as they are a much larger force than a single chapter, but they are eventually broken up into a bunch of chapters.

By salty Governors whose planets were absorbed into the realm of Ultramar.
Keasar
Member
(10-11-2017, 11:33 PM)
Keasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

Wasn't Guilliman the one who said Space Marines shouldn't have legions anymore so no one has control over that much power at once?

He did enter the chamber of his father for 24 hours.

Probably had some real stern talking to about some of his ideas.
Tacitus_
Member
(10-11-2017, 11:47 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

He did enter the chamber of his father for 24 hours.

Probably had some real stern talking to about some of his ideas.

One might say so...

The Emperor greeted Guilliman not as a father receives a son, but as a craftsmen who rediscovers a favourite tool that he thought lost. He behaved like a prisoner locked in an iron cage who is passed a rasp.
Guilliman had no illusions. He was not the man who brought the rasp; he was the rasp.
While the Emperor had walked abroad, He had cloaked His manipulations in love. He had let His primarchs call Him father; He had let them call themselves His sons. He had rarely spoken those words Himself, Guilliman now realised, and when He had He had done so without sincerity. Buffeted by the full might of the Emperor’s will unclothed in flesh, a cloak had been ripped from Guilliman’s eyes.
The Emperor had allowed them to love Him, and to believe He loved them in return. He had not. His primarchs were weapons, that was all.
Though His power was immense, perhaps greater than it had been before He ascended, the Emperor’s humanity was all but gone. He could no longer mask His thoughts with a human face. The Emperor’s light was blinding, all encompassing, but finally – finally – Guilliman had seen it as a whole. The being he had thought of as a father could hide nothing from him.
The Emperor did not love His sons. They were things. Guilliman, all his brothers, were nothing but a means to an end.

Keasar
Member
(10-12-2017, 09:32 AM)
Keasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

One might say so...

Ontop of the "I never really loved you kids." :P
War Peaceman
You're a big guy.
(10-12-2017, 10:04 PM)
War Peaceman's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheVoidDragon

Wasn't Guilliman the one who said Space Marines shouldn't have legions anymore so no one has control over that much power at once?

Yes, Gulliman wrote the codex and had the legions broken up. A rational response to the heresy. But since coming out of stasis he has said that the codex was not a bible - if it or parts of it aren't working, then change it. Which he is. There's a clear shift towards HH esque structure. Naturally that is producing a lot of resistance (which is great for narratives).
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-14-2017, 11:01 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar
I like the astraues, I just hope it isn't madtadon priced
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-15-2017, 05:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

One might say so...

Master of Mankind backs this up with the Emperor's interaction with Angron.
Bizazedo
Member
(10-15-2017, 05:57 AM)
Bizazedo's Avatar
So I am finally getting into tabletop mini gaming. Well, I want to. Thing is, with Muscular Dystrophy, I don't think I'll be able to paint them....or paint them well. The muscles in the hand just won't do the control I feel I'll need.

At least, I don't think so.

Anyhoo, is there a resource to hire painters / buy already painted armies? I am skittish about rip off artists on ebay, but I figured y'all would know some good sources.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-15-2017, 08:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Bizazedo

So I am finally getting into tabletop mini gaming. Well, I want to. Thing is, with Muscular Dystrophy, I don't think I'll be able to paint them....or paint them well. The muscles in the hand just won't do the control I feel I'll need.

At least, I don't think so.

Anyhoo, is there a resource to hire painters / buy already painted armies? I am skittish about rip off artists on ebay, but I figured y'all would know some good sources.

Go to this thread. It will help you a lot more than this one.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...89064&page=105
Bizazedo
Member
(10-15-2017, 11:27 PM)
Bizazedo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

Go to this thread. It will help you a lot more than this one.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...89064&page=105

Danke.

Also, anyone listened to many of the audio books / any notable ones? Noticed some on Audible with a free x day trial.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-15-2017, 11:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Bizazedo

Danke.

Also, anyone listened to many of the audio books / any notable ones? Noticed some on Audible with a free x day trial.

The only one I listened to is Thousand Sons and it was pretty good.
EYEL1NER
Member
(10-16-2017, 07:56 AM)
EYEL1NER's Avatar
My 40K reading took a lengthy pause over the summer when I read up to "Traitor General" in the GG series and didn't have any of the following books. I went to a Gamer Garage Sale at a local store, like a consignment sale only for store credit, and picked up the remaining books in the series though, so last night I started His Last Command. Just finished that up a bit ago and am glad to be back in the thick of it. I should be able to finish what's out, Double Eagle, and the Sabbat World Crusades book just in time for the new book in the series to release. I might be wrong but I think the next one comes out at the end of the year? I'll have to check, I might be thinking of something else.
Ohnonono
Member
(10-16-2017, 04:34 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bizazedo

Danke.

Also, anyone listened to many of the audio books / any notable ones? Noticed some on Audible with a free x day trial.

If you are interested in the newer stuff Watchers of the Throne is REALLY GOOD. It is on Audible.

Edit: OH SHIT. Looks like the Horus Heresy mother load just dropped on Audible. Holy shit things got so much cheaper.
Keasar
Member
(10-18-2017, 02:41 PM)
Keasar's Avatar
Reading the latest volume of the Warhammer 40K Comic on Comixology and saw this:

Pretty awesome.
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-18-2017, 02:44 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

Reading the latest volume of the Warhammer 40K Comic on Comixology and saw this:

Pretty awesome.

I would be so friggin' happy if a Sisters of Battle unit gets the "False astartes" modifications and use specialized terminator suits.


Originally Posted by Ohnonono

If you are interested in the newer stuff Watchers of the Throne is REALLY GOOD. It is on Audible.

Edit: OH SHIT. Looks like the Horus Heresy mother load just dropped on Audible. Holy shit things got so much cheaper.

link?
Ohnonono
Member
(10-18-2017, 02:50 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

I would be so friggin' happy if a Sisters of Battle unit gets the "False astartes" modifications and use specialized terminator suits.




link?

https://www.audible.com/search/ref=a...=black+library

looks like every week or so they are adding more. Seems sort of random.
Tacitus_
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:28 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Greigor The Fellhand

I would be so friggin' happy if a Sisters of Battle unit gets the "False astartes" modifications and use specialized terminator suits.

The Inquisitor pilots it like a mecha:



Or rather I hope she does, because those proportions are really fucked otherwise.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-18-2017, 06:30 PM)

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

If you are interested in the newer stuff Watchers of the Throne is REALLY GOOD. It is on Audible.

Edit: OH SHIT. Looks like the Horus Heresy mother load just dropped on Audible. Holy shit things got so much cheaper.

Watchers of the Throne is pretty good.
Ohnonono
Member
(10-18-2017, 06:46 PM)
Ohnonono's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

Watchers of the Throne is pretty good.

For sure. Out of all the books I have read from black library it is one of the best as far as giving new lore and really showing some stuff that is pretty new. Also really good characters that I hope we see again.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-18-2017, 07:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

For sure. Out of all the books I have read from black library it is one of the best as far as giving new lore and really showing some stuff that is pretty new. Also really good characters that I hope we see again.

It reminds me of the War of the Beast series and Master of Mankind with how they dealt with Terra and the politics on Terra. Also, I'm glad that we got the names of the High Lords of Terra for the modern setting too.
Keasar
Member
(10-18-2017, 07:11 PM)
Keasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tacitus_

The Inquisitor pilots it like a mecha:



Or rather I hope she does, because those proportions are really fucked otherwise.

The proportions of these things have always been a bit fucked. :P

Nazo
Member
(10-18-2017, 07:15 PM)
Nazo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

Reading the latest volume of the Warhammer 40K Comic on Comixology and saw this:

Pretty awesome.

How are these comics? Are they worth the read? They seem cheap enough on Comixology where I might be tempted to give'em a go.
BriareosGAF
Member
(10-18-2017, 07:39 PM)
BriareosGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

The proportions of these things have always been a bit fucked. :P

It's a bit unfortunate since Shirow Masamune solved all of this back in Appleseed with the LM external arm, doubled movement in legs, etc. design notes. Ah well.
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-18-2017, 07:52 PM)

Originally Posted by BriareosGAF

It's a bit unfortunate since Shirow Masamune solved all of this back in Appleseed with the LM external arm, doubled movement in legs, etc. design notes. Ah well.

Not everyone saw Appleseed.
Keasar
Member
(10-18-2017, 08:23 PM)
Keasar's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nazo

How are these comics? Are they worth the read? They seem cheap enough on Comixology where I might be tempted to give'em a go.

I quite enjoy it, it's no Dan Abnett story but I like seeing the WH40K universe in more visual mediums, dives a bit into the Dark Angels mystery regarding The Fallen as well which is neat. There should be a Issue 0 that you can get for free if you wanna taste test before getting it.

Originally Posted by BriareosGAF

It's a bit unfortunate since Shirow Masamune solved all of this back in Appleseed with the LM external arm, doubled movement in legs, etc. design notes. Ah well.

True, but those tiny extra arms sticking out of the belly of the suits always does look a bit comedic and WH40K operates by the rule of holy-shit-let's-crank-up-the-cool-to-overload, so they just skip all the stuff about "logics" and "anatomy". :P
BriareosGAF
Member
(10-18-2017, 08:50 PM)
BriareosGAF's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

Not everyone saw Appleseed.

The manga came out in the 80s, for what it's worth. I remember reading the Eclipse published ones, although my go-to copies are the Dark Horse reprints.

Originally Posted by Keasar

True, but those tiny extra arms sticking out of the belly of the suits always does look a bit comedic and WH40K operates by the rule of holy-shit-let's-crank-up-the-cool-to-overload, so they just skip all the stuff about "logics" and "anatomy". :P

Yeah, I'm down with the WH40k aesthetic, of course, although some of the Shirow LMs were designed explicitly to have no external arms, also. He also had LMs for full cyborgs like Briareos, and Kainisu's giant, etc. Anyway, don't want to derail the thread too much...
Tacitus_
Member
(10-18-2017, 09:18 PM)
Tacitus_'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

The proportions of these things have always been a bit fucked. :P

A bit, yeah. But she's like twice the size of her crew members in that armour and their size out of it.
BreezyLimbo
Banned
(10-18-2017, 09:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Keasar

Reading the latest volume of the Warhammer 40K Comic on Comixology and saw this:

Pretty awesome.

This suit doesnt make sense

Why are her shoulders like 3 feet above the head. Like the terminator below the head and shoulders are properly aligned.



Ill chalk it up to bad art.
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-18-2017, 09:21 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar

Originally Posted by Keasar

The proportions of these things have always been a bit fucked. :P

the drawn art make sit look like the human leans forward, so they are kinda laying on the suit, with their actual hands only in the biceps of the armor, and legs probably in the groin
GarthVaderUK
Banned
(10-19-2017, 08:59 PM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar
Games Workshop’s latest victories bring 2017 share rally to 200%
https://www.ft.com/content/067361bc-...c-166390e50e0b



Also:

WizKids Announces New Partnership with Games Workshop
Reveals Plans to Release New Games set in the Critically Acclaimed Warhammer 40,000™ Universe

October 19, 2017 – Hillside, NJ – WizKids, the leader in high-quality pre-painted miniatures and established board games, today revealed a multi-year partnership with acclaimed fantasy miniatures company, Games Workshop. The new partnership will extend the Warhammer 40,000 universe IP across multiple categories, including, Dice Building Games™, board games and more!

“We’re thrilled to be working with Games Workshop and the Warhammer 40,000 license,” said Justin Ziran, president of WizKids. “This beloved franchise is known the world over and our partnership will allow us to create amazing products and experiences for fans everywhere.”

The multi-year deal will span numerous categories and include the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 characters and more. WizKids will create two new board games, along with dice games based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with additional plans to republish classic board games Fury of Dracula and Relic.

WizKids will begin rolling out the new product lines in mid 2018.

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizki...ames-workshop/
Greigor The Fellhand
Member
(10-19-2017, 09:45 PM)
Greigor The Fellhand's Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

Games Workshop’s latest victories bring 2017 share rally to 200%
https://www.ft.com/content/067361bc-...c-166390e50e0b



Also:

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizki...ames-workshop/

is this the report that includes 8th edition? i know the previous report did not include it
ShadowSwordmaster
Banned
(10-19-2017, 11:08 PM)

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

Games Workshop’s latest victories bring 2017 share rally to 200%
https://www.ft.com/content/067361bc-...c-166390e50e0b



Also:

https://wizkids.com/2017/10/19/wizki...ames-workshop/

Good to hear.
H.M.M Arsenlol
Member
(10-25-2017, 09:49 PM)
H.M.M Arsenlol's Avatar
Long time lurker here, just want to thank this community for getting me into the warhammer lore.

Currently reading the first of the Eisenhorn books, also read the first Horus Hearsay book and enjoyed them both. Looking forward to getting deeper with both series and all the other good reads.

If you guys are getting set up on discord or another website please hit me up
LastGamer84
Member
(10-25-2017, 10:39 PM)
LastGamer84's Avatar
Darn, just when I had finished painting my new Tau. Anyone got an invite to the new forum?
GoingToDelete
Member
(10-25-2017, 11:16 PM)
GoingToDelete's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ohnonono

Black Library has started to show up on Audible. Some REALLY good stuff up. No Horus Heresy stuff yet, but lots of 40k stuff. Even the newest novel Watchers of the Throne that is apparently pretty AMAZING. As someone who spends a fortune on these audiobooks this is going to save me a ton of money.

Also if you want suggestions ask cause I have listened to a frigging ton of this stuff.

Is it on the uk audible or will I have to sign up for the US edition?
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-26-2017, 02:19 AM)
Registration asking for an answer to a captcha that does not exist. It says to answer the secret wuestion. That’s it. So I cannot even submit my app to the new board.
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-26-2017, 03:43 AM)
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, it's down. I'll try later. I'll get in eventually I'm sure ;)
Qasiel
Member
(10-26-2017, 04:28 AM)
Qasiel's Avatar
Once open registration comes back up I'll stop my lurking and start posting actively - If you've got room for a lonely ol' Necron player of course!

Got my first game of 8th coming this weekend and I'm pretty excited.
GarthVaderUK
Banned
(10-26-2017, 04:48 AM)
GarthVaderUK's Avatar

Originally Posted by Qasiel

Once open registration comes back up I'll stop my lurking and start posting actively - If you've got room for a lonely ol' Necron player of course!

Got my first game of 8th coming this weekend and I'm pretty excited.

Absolutely, I'm all about the 'Crons these days too!
Qasiel
Member
(10-26-2017, 05:01 AM)
Qasiel's Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

Absolutely, I'm all about the 'Crons these days too!

Oh, good man!
Raptor2155
Member
(10-26-2017, 06:56 AM)
Raptor2155's Avatar
Fellow Necron player! Triarch Stalkers are a must!
Draft
(10-26-2017, 05:19 PM)
Draft's Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

removed

I wouldn't mind one. A Games Workshop just opened literally around the corner from my house. I'm thinking of buying one of those get started kits!
SillyEskimo
Member
(10-26-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

removed

I’ll take one please.
Qasiel
Member
(10-26-2017, 06:29 PM)
Qasiel's Avatar

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

removed

I wouldn't mind one, but I'm still wrapping my head around how Discord works.

Also, great to see Necron players come out of the woodwork! How are you all finding games at the moment playing with just the index against armies with codexes? *grumble* Imperium... *grumble*
G-Fex
(10-26-2017, 08:25 PM)

Originally Posted by GarthVaderUK

Anyone here still looking for a Discord invite? Codes for access to the new forum going out there soon.

Here. I love WH40K I just got into it.
Mister Apoc
Member
(11-09-2017, 10:32 PM)
Is the emperor considered a god?
manfestival
Member
(11-18-2017, 06:35 PM)
manfestival's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mister Apoc

Is the emperor considered a god?

Depends on who you talk to. There are theories but at the end of the day. He is a false emperor and anyone that follows him is doomed to stupidity. Including the space marines
Mister Apoc
Member
(Today, 09:55 AM)

Originally Posted by manfestival

Depends on who you talk to. There are theories but at the end of the day. He is a false emperor and anyone that follows him is doomed to stupidity. Including the space marines

HERETIC

Thread Tools