• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

nkarafo
(11-11-2017, 03:04 AM)
Can't even call someone, it's 3:00 in the morning here. I have no idea if she is fully awake, half asleep or fully unconscious, all i see is empty eyes, heavy breathing and some spasms.

She is 17 years old and her health was deteriorating but we didn't expect this so sudden, she was OK 12 hours ago.

Is there anything we can do? Anyone has dealt with something similar? How long does this last? I have no idea if/how much she is suffering :(
TheSpaceBetween
MyGoddamnEars
(11-11-2017, 03:08 AM)
Aren't there 24 hour emergency vets you can google the nearest one?
Strife In a Teacup
(11-11-2017, 03:13 AM)

Originally Posted by nkarafo

Is there anything we can do? Anyone has dealt with something similar? How long does this last? I have no idea if/how much she is suffering :(

Could last about 12 hours or so. Keep her comfortable. Put a little blanket on her.

It sounds like she's passing away. My condolences. I had it happen very recently the same way. Just keep monitoring her and then let her rest. All the signs you mention are exactly what I saw and went through.

He laid on his side, gasped a bit here and there and had spasms. I put a tiny bit of water on his lips since he seemed like he wanted water. I pet him and put a small blanket over him and then he passed away some time later.

I'm truly sorry. :(
EdwardTivrusky
(11-11-2017, 03:15 AM)
Sorry to hear, i have no advice but you have my sympathies :(
nkarafo
(11-11-2017, 03:23 AM)
I don't think i can find a vet soon enough, just answering machines so far.
ManDudeChild
(11-11-2017, 03:40 AM)
I lost my little buddy Rufus six months ago. He was 17. My condolences :(
nkarafo
(11-11-2017, 03:50 AM)
She looks unconscious and hasn't move for some time. But it still looks like she is having trouble breathing. Is this a sign of discomfort or is it just reflex?
ManDudeChild
(11-11-2017, 03:54 AM)
Look OP get off GAF and be with your friend. If you can't find a 24 hour vet I'm truly sorry but dude... get off GAF
sublimit
If I doubt a Kotaku rumor, it's probably true
(11-11-2017, 04:34 AM)
Man i'm so sorry to hear that.I hope you have someone with you because i can only imagine how dreadful this must feel.
I'm praying your little friend somehow gets better.Be strong.
Dr.Guru of Peru
played the long game
(11-11-2017, 04:35 AM)

She looks unconscious and hasn't move for some time. But it still looks like she is having trouble breathing. Is this a sign of discomfort or is it just reflex?

If sheís not awake sheís not uncomfortable.
Heath V
(11-11-2017, 04:58 AM)
That's heart breaking, I seriously feel for you OP. I love my furry friends so much and I don't even want to think what you must be going thru.
crazepharmacist
(11-11-2017, 05:02 AM)
There has to a be a 24 hour emergency vet around. Google Animal hospitals and your town. I'm sure you can find one. They will take her in right away and if they need to, put her comfortably to sleep rather than have her potentially suffer for god knows how long.
crazepharmacist
(11-11-2017, 05:03 AM)

It's hard to say. How does her heart rate feel? If it's faster than normal she could be feeling pain
nkarafo
(11-11-2017, 05:20 AM)

Originally Posted by crazepharmacist

It's hard to say. How does her heart rate feel? If it's faster than normal she could be feeling pain

I couldn't feel her heartbeat at all. So it was either too slow, too weak or non-existent.

She is gone now.

Her name was Hera.

I'm alone at home right now and everyone is sleeping this hour. So thanks for the support.
InfernoNR
(11-11-2017, 05:34 AM)
I'm sorry nkarafo, it's one of the hardest things you have to go through, to witness something like that. I've had to do it quite a few times unfortunately. Thankfully you were there for her in her final moments and were able to comfort her as she exited this world. It's all you could have done.
Ihyll
(11-11-2017, 05:34 AM)
Sorry for your loss.
MastAndo
(11-11-2017, 05:38 AM)
RIP Hera. Sorry for your loss, OP.

I had my ex-gf's cat die in my arms at home after battling illness, and it was really hard at the time, but it's a memory I've had with me ever since. He was basically my cat as well at that point, and once the sadness fades, there's a sort of fondness to the memory knowing that you were able to be there for your beloved pet in their last moments.
Strife In a Teacup
(11-11-2017, 05:44 AM)

I'm alone at home right now and everyone is sleeping this hour. So thanks for the support.

Very sorry for your loss. Hang in there.
Randomizer
(11-11-2017, 06:21 AM)
Rip Hera :(. So sorry for your loss OP.

Lost our little Katie (16 years old) last year and it still hurts.
Nephtis
(11-11-2017, 06:49 AM)
I am very sorry for your loss. I canít imagine how terrible it must have been to feel so powerless to not be able to do anything. However, you were by her side. Itís far better than you having slept and not knowing a thing.
Eye for an Eye
(11-11-2017, 06:52 AM)
I'm sorry you lost your kitty. My bf's uncle's kitty is getting old. We just stopped by their place tonight. He's still got a little spunk left in him, but he's gotten so skinny and age is finally catching up to him. It's sad knowing he's at the end of his days.

I know it doesn't feel like you were able to do anything, but there really isn't much you can do at the end of times like that. I'm sure you kept her comfortable and loved until the end.
Bustanen
(11-11-2017, 06:57 AM)
Sorry for your loss OP.

My cat was 17 too when she suddenly started having trouble breathing and had to be put down. Had something to do with the heart, never had any health problems before that.

It's always hard to lose a pet that's been with you a long time.
darkziosj
(11-11-2017, 07:05 AM)
Man losing a pet always hurt, my dog died 4 months ago and still hurts, we adopted a cat that is 1 month old and i've love it already, but it scares me to watch another of my pets die
mashoutposse
(11-11-2017, 07:36 AM)
:(
gustave154
(11-11-2017, 07:54 AM)
Really sorry for your loss OP... hope she is in a better place now...
OrionFalls
(11-11-2017, 07:58 AM)
RIP Hera

Stay strong OP
fordian
(11-11-2017, 08:14 AM)
RIP kitty
Fyrion
(11-11-2017, 10:30 AM)
I had a similar experience when my 16 y/o Boxer just passed away. I was giving him antiinflammatory medications following my vet prescription, but He was breathing heavily and only through the mouth. I got worried, and called my uncle to bring in the vehicle and go to vet immediately, but no sooner I called; He suddenly just stopped breathing.....

My condolences. I found solace in thinking He is not suffering anymore, was too old to do his favorite stuff: jump and running. Lost coordination and almost all his teeth. And was heartbreaking to see him like that, It wasn't the energetic and enthusiastic dog anymore. And It was obvious He didn't like it to keep on living enduring his condition.
MidgarBlowedUp
(11-11-2017, 10:54 AM)
My condolences. My cat of 16 years died in my mother's arms. She waited for me to get home, I put my hand on her paw and told her it's ok and that loved her and she passed on.

If you own land, bury her yourself if you can. It helped my deal with such a traumatic experience. Look at it like you are carrying her body to a resting place close to you. Her body will move on but her soul will never leave you.
Hoya Destroyer
(11-11-2017, 11:32 AM)
Sorry to hear about Hera, OP.
17 is a pretty good age for a cat. Im sure you'd have some great memories of her to keep.
Marvel
could never
(11-11-2017, 11:56 AM)
Sorry for your loss :(
Sosokrates
(11-11-2017, 12:32 PM)
Her life has been joyful for you and her may she rest in cat heaven where all the cats purr.
She'll look down apon you when times are hard and youll never forget her shining star.
sublimit
If I doubt a Kotaku rumor, it's probably true
(11-11-2017, 01:20 PM)

I couldn't feel her heartbeat at all. So it was either too slow, too weak or non-existent.

She is gone now.

Her name was Hera.

Aw man i'm so sorry to hear about your loss. :( I didn't knew you or your little friend but i love cats so much that situations like this always make me cry.

Goodbye Hera and nkarafo stay strong man.
*hugs*
highrider
(11-11-2017, 02:17 PM)
So sorry op, my cat is my best friend in the world. I doubt thereís any avoiding the sadness and sense of loss, but hopefully you can take comfort in that you loved your cat and did your best to give her a great life.
rgoulart
(11-11-2017, 02:46 PM)
Rip Hera. I'm sorry for your loss nkarafo. I know how you feel.

I've been through this a few times now and I never get used to it. I do my best to love them and make them comfortable throughout their lives so I don't have any regrets when the day comes.

I've had a cat named Shanna for 19 years, she passed away due to liver failure in 2009.

Then I adopted Twiggy and he was run over by a car less than a year after that.

So I came across two three-months old siblings, both black and furry and I adopted them both and named them Mulder and Scully. They lived six years and died a month from each other from health problems.

In the meantime I also adopted Anakin and Yoda. Yoda was a little slow, something must have happened to him when he was a baby, he was very soft and unfortunately he was run over by a car on the same street Twiggy had been. Anakin was a punk, he would stay out all night fighting other cats, but would never fight my own cats and was very loving to me. One friday he went out and there was a huge storm. He only showed up on sunday night and was very sick. Monday morning I took him to the vet and we tried all day to raise his temperature but he didn't resist.

Now I have Ellie. I took her out of the streets when she was two months old (at least it looked like it) and she's a wonderful loving and playful cat. She loves to walk around in my shoulders like a parrot and play hide and seek through the house. She's now seven months old.

nkarafo, be grateful for the time you had together and when you're done mourning Hera, adopt another cat. They won't be a substitute for Hera but you would be giving another cat a loving home. Some other cat out there deserves the love Hera was given. Do it for her.
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-11-2017, 03:06 PM)
That is tough to read. That hurts. 17 years is almost a lifetime of companionship. I know it's hard to think about now, but 17 years with your friend is a blessing. Youll carry those memories forever and it sounds like Hera went out peacefully without too much suffering. I've had many cats and because of where I lived most of them didn't make it past just a few years old. Take care.
StreetCarp
(11-11-2017, 03:34 PM)
sorry for your loss.

Cats 17 tho dude, waaay past its prime. Be happy you got that many years with it, thats more then many.
Reverse Giraffe
(11-11-2017, 04:25 PM)
That is unfathomly sad. Iím so sorry.
rokkerkory
(11-11-2017, 04:38 PM)
Sorry op i know how losing a pet is and its brutal.

Sounds like she has had a great 17 years tho thanks to u guys.
Alan-GAF
(11-11-2017, 04:41 PM)
Sorry to hear this OP, my condolences.
AlexMogil
(11-11-2017, 05:01 PM)
You did a very brave thing.
Belker
(11-11-2017, 05:10 PM)
I'm sorry to hear that. You did the right thing by being with her and caring for her. That is all you could have done.

It won't be any comfort now, but 17 is very old for a cat. It sounds like she had a wonderful family for a very long time.
mitch1971
(11-11-2017, 08:58 PM)
Heartbreaking. RIP Pussy cat.
elite09
(11-11-2017, 09:21 PM)
I lost my 17 year old cat 10 months ago. It really hurts. Feel so sorry for your loss.
Catphish
(11-11-2017, 09:31 PM)
When I had to have my last cat put down, I was looking into his eyes as he passed. The grief was extraordinary, and my sincere condolences are with you.

:(
EdwardTeach
(11-11-2017, 09:43 PM)
What kind of cat do you want next?