IHaveCandy
Banned
(09-29-2012, 07:42 PM)

Originally Posted by Electivirus

Lake Bresha in FFXIII. So gorgeous.

Prettiest hallway in the game by far.
LuuKyK
(09-29-2012, 07:43 PM)
Anything out of Uncharted 2 and Final Fantasy XIII.

Also, those Xenoblade screens look awesome. Sadly its not HD.
Razek
Banned
(09-29-2012, 07:45 PM)
That first moment when it got dark, the fallen snow started picking up a pale greenish hue, the wind fell silent and the the light silent snowing stopped.

This music began playing

I looked up, and I saw the most realistic realtime depiction of the aurora in any video game, and I got goosebumps and chills. That will forever be one of my favorite and most 'atmospheric' moments in gaming for me and I won't ever forget it.

Just then, I realized just how small I was in this world, how much I still had to see and do. It was humbling to see how insignificant my struggle was along with everyone around me. We are just merely meaningless pawns on this floating rock between the planes of oblivion.

Skyrim may have turned out to be a bit of a bummer, but I will never discredit it's one of the most gorgeous games ever created.
MGHA
(09-29-2012, 07:47 PM)
nasos_333
(09-29-2012, 07:47 PM)

And a HD render of it

FF9 is still my most favourite world, including all aspects like bosses, FMV, 2D art etc
Last edited by nasos_333; 09-29-2012 at 07:51 PM.
cj_iwakura
(09-29-2012, 07:50 PM)
Anor Londo in Dark Souls.
human onion
(09-29-2012, 07:51 PM)
Planetside 2 takes the cake for me. The fact all those lasers, ships, explosions, and sounds in the background are actual players taking part in a nonscripted battle for territory blows the mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOKiSf7BA8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCT-Y...feature=relmfu
Pizza Luigi
(09-29-2012, 07:51 PM)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8TC..._video&t=9m28s

This one always springs to mind. Seriously, watch it.
delta25
Banned
(09-29-2012, 07:56 PM)
Halo 4

Last edited by delta25; 09-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.
Donos
From short thinking:
- UC2 fighting in crumbling house,
- Journey-surf ,
- getting new PC and first time entering BF BC2 Arica harbour map with tanks shooting, heli flying above me shooting rockets and mates firing > had similar "Battlefield moments" in BF3 but BFBC2 just shocked me after playing CS 1.6 for years.

Some sequences (and CGs) impressed me alot in Final Fantasy 8 back then. The fight at Balamb garden was one of them.
Last edited by Donos; 09-29-2012 at 08:00 PM.
Error
Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria's transition from Midgard to Asgard via Bifrost always impressed me.
Pitmonkey
(09-29-2012, 07:57 PM)
Tea and Toast
(09-29-2012, 07:58 PM)

Originally Posted by SteeloDMZ

Lords of Shadow is full of breathtaking scenes:

[IMG ]http://vgfaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/800px-Castelavania_LOS.jpg[/IMG]

Pans Temple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnxabl3VUk&t=3m26s
Pagusas
(09-29-2012, 08:01 PM)

Originally Posted by nasos_333

And a HD render of it

FF9 is still my most favourite world, including all aspects like bosses, FMV, 2D art etc

Where did the HD render come from? Is there a secrete remake somewhere?
boyshine
(09-29-2012, 08:02 PM)
It's obviously not that impressive anymore, but when the weather gradually changes from sunny to snow storm in Donkey Kong Country, I was like.. "what is happening, I have to show everyone how amazing this is!"... To me this is the most surprised I've ever been by what a videogame can show me. + the music help to create a fantastic atmosphere.
dmr87
(09-29-2012, 08:03 PM)
1st post gets it again.
Mr.Green
(09-29-2012, 08:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Pitmonkey

This.
DTKT

Originally Posted by Razek

That first moment when it got dark, the fallen snow started picking up a pale greenish hue, the wind fell silent and the the light silent snowing stopped.

This music began playing

I looked up, and I saw the most realistic realtime depiction of the aurora in any video game, and I got goosebumps and chills. That will forever be one of my favorite and most 'atmospheric' moments in gaming for me and I won't ever forget it.

Just then, I realized just how small I was in this world, how much I still had to see and do. It was humbling to see how insignificant my struggle was along with everyone around me. We are just merely meaningless pawns on this floating rock between the planes of oblivion.

Skyrim may have turned out to be a bit of a bummer, but I will never discredit it's one of the most gorgeous games ever created.

Agreed. There is just something amazing about Skyrim atmosphere and the way it does misty mountains. I just love the music too.
The One Who Knocks

Shadow of the Colossus: It's incredible, in part due to the huge scale and also because you possess the ability to climb the beast. Shadow of the Colossus possesses many moments of beauty but for me, this is the most impressive

Dear Esther: The contrast in the colour is just so immensly beautiful. Although not a game in the traditional sense, it is one of the most visually impressive moments I've seen. Honestly, the entire Cave area is jaw-dropping. I had takken at least 100 screen shots of that area alone (the one above isn't mine however)

Dark Souls: In a game with so many amazing locations, this one really made me stop to just enjoy the scenery before having to run for my life

Demon's Souls: Maiden Astraea's area was hauntingly stunning. The atmosphere simply oozed out of its plague infested scenery.

Flower: The first level. So serenly beautiful. Unfortunately I coouldn't find a .gif for this to show off some more of it however.

Bayonetta: The falling clock introduction, although the scenery isn't necessarily stunning, the scenario. Unfortunately I couldn't find a .gif but this was quite breath-taking on a first playthrough, greatly assisted by how smooth it was.

Lost Odyssey: There is just something about this entire city. It's introduction of an area so completely different to everything before hand was just hugely impressive to me.

Jak and Daxter: After getting this on the Playstation 2, knowing little about the game, this area in the beginning really struck a chord with me. Although dated now, I was stunned by it at the time.

Rayman: Bongo Hills is one of my favourite collection of levels in any game. Although perhaps not stunning, I adore the design. Eraser Plains, the second image, is similar.

Mass Effect: The entire Citadel design is simply incredible. The first time on the Presidium, realising I could explore the entire area, is one of my favourite introductionary sequences. It is incredible for me.

Journey: See the .gif already posted.
Last edited by The One Who Knocks; 09-29-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Franchuzas87
(09-29-2012, 08:08 PM)
I'm happy to see some Xenoblade love in the first page. Fuckintastic views from beginning to end.

Also, I would like to play Journey. Looks really great.
Vulcano's assistant
(09-29-2012, 08:10 PM)

Eternal Battle, The Witcher 2.
catotheyounger
(09-29-2012, 08:14 PM)
Coming into Mexico was a great sequence AND had gorgeous scenery.
nasos_333
(09-29-2012, 08:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Pagusas

Where did the HD render come from? Is there a secrete remake somewhere?

http://s302.photobucket.com/albums/n...9.jpg&newest=1

I dont know, just got it from google, from the link above

I wish there was such a remake, would be so amazing
Bluth54
(09-29-2012, 08:16 PM)
Even though it has some low quality textures in some places I've always felt Alan Wake looks amazing.

higherARC05
Banned
(09-29-2012, 08:16 PM)

Originally Posted by delta25

Halo 4

This game.....so good. :)
Cramoss
(09-29-2012, 08:18 PM)
Most locations of Xeno-fucking-blade Chronicles.
Makonero

When this level popped up, I couldn't believe my eyes.
Zek
Contempt For Challenge
Only one OoT reference so far and it's the wrong one, for shame:

This was absolutely mind-blowing back in the day.
nasos_333
(09-29-2012, 08:20 PM)

Also Bravely Default (3DS)

Hopefully it comes to US
luckyboyceo
(09-29-2012, 08:20 PM)
So many great choices in this thread.

Originally Posted by Tea and Toast

Pans Temple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKnxabl3VUk&t=3m26s

Looks like a beautiful game. Was it any good?

Originally Posted by Makonero

When this level popped up, I couldn't believe my eyes.

This. Definitely this.
Anteater
(09-29-2012, 08:22 PM)
I remember being blown away by some of the environments in Dead or Alive 3 for xbox, it was in 60fps too, I was just watching the demo sequence over and over on my crt, crazy shit.

Jay Shadow
(09-29-2012, 08:27 PM)
Most of mine have been mentioned, but I'll add Arriving at Central Park in Crysis 2
JordanLMiller
(09-29-2012, 08:28 PM)
Ocarina of Time's Hyrule Field was really amazing to me when I first played it.

Xenoblade's Bionis' Leg was like a modern day version of that for me. Brought back a lot of nostalgia.
Ryuuga
(09-29-2012, 08:32 PM)
Countless areas in TERA:

Noaloha
(09-29-2012, 08:46 PM)
Dear Esther's experiments in storytelling-within-medium accomplished this pretty well. Worthy of note is that much of the impact of that section relies fundamentally on the build-up's environs and pacing.

EDIT: Sorry OP. I don't want to post screens. I'd rather people went into Dear Esther blind if possible.
hachi
Banned
(09-29-2012, 08:48 PM)
Xenoblade, without question.

While most of the posts here have focused on the landscapes, what left me the most awestruck (in the full Kantian sense of the word "sublime") was first catching a glimpse of the distant yet massive, dormant, foreboding god filling up the night sky, with its red eyes visible and its silhouette occasionally illuminated by a stroke of lightning.

It's hard to find a good screenshot, but this is close.

Lion Heart
Banned
(09-29-2012, 08:55 PM)
MGS2 : Tanker

The first 20 minutes of the game will have your jaw on the floor.

Starts off on the Bridge via cutscene

And then the enemy troops drop down and take out the guards. By this point you have urinated on the carpet but then the gameplay starts:

:O

Then you realize there is a FPS view

Mixed with the amazing sound effects/score, I couldn't handle it.
‹bermatik
(09-29-2012, 08:57 PM)

Originally Posted by JazzmanZ

Fucking amen. This was amazing, and literally left me speechless.
LamerDeluxe
(09-29-2012, 08:57 PM)

Shadow of the Beast title scene. The 8Mhz 512KB Amiga doing 13 layers of 50 Hz parallax scrolling combined with awesome music, really impressive at the time.
kms_md
(09-29-2012, 09:02 PM)
HL2 - Highway 17 sequence under the bridge.
BeauRoger
(09-29-2012, 09:03 PM)
Final area of Uncharted 2. When you open those gates.. i said wow.
andthebeatgoeson
(09-29-2012, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by shagg_187

Portal 2 ending i.e. the whole sequence from final battle to the end.

I'm going to say, false....

Sky Temple, Twilight Princess
Shepard
(09-29-2012, 09:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Walking into space aboard the Normandy in the opening sequence of Mass Effect 2.

Spot on, that was incredible.
maquiladora
(09-29-2012, 09:05 PM)

Originally Posted by BeauRoger

Final area of Uncharted 2. When you open those gates.. i said wow.

Yeah, that was beautiful.
sn00zer
(09-29-2012, 09:07 PM)

Bioshocks opening....just fucking incredible

And seeing this for the first time....hell just seeing the floors look shiny blew my mind
Acquiescence
(09-29-2012, 09:08 PM)
It has to be the sand surfing segment in Journey. Pure motherfuckin' magic.
hachi
Banned
(09-29-2012, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Ubermatik

Fucking amen. This was amazing, and literally left me speechless.

So many stunning moments in Galaxy. First landing on the outside of that glass tube in the first galaxy was a moment of beauty; I ran around on the outside for a good five minutes before entering the hole.
DemonNite
many of my choices are already listed but will add...

Red Dead Redemption
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGuYQ-VtfFY

Represent.

This specific camera pan of the Uncharted 3 desert sequence. Godly
Conor 419
Banned
(09-29-2012, 09:11 PM)
The Ark - Halo 3
Xenoblade - Near Everything