• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

highrider
(11-07-2017, 06:53 PM)
I’ve actually tried Apple for the first time this year after using android for a long time, but woah, this is pretty brutal lol.

https://youtu.be/R59TevgzN3k
Herne
(11-07-2017, 06:58 PM)
That was amazing. I thought for years that there were laws prohibiting showing off your competitor's name or logo in your adverts, but maybe that's just over here in Ireland/Europe?
WinterIsComing
(11-07-2017, 07:01 PM)
Had read about it but hadn't watched it yet. Well done Samsung.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-07-2017, 07:05 PM)
They deserve to throw shit if only because the Note 8 is absolutely phenomenal.
LordOfChaos
(11-07-2017, 07:06 PM)
"Don't be a sheep, buy our shit instead" is a little rich.they're hardly the underdog nor is the X an inferior product in most ways, let alone big advantages like the SoC and better screen despite Samsung sourcing.

The notch haircut was lulz though.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm
TTOOLL
(11-07-2017, 07:08 PM)
Dat hairline....holyshit!
hoverboarder
(11-07-2017, 07:08 PM)
So good, although I hate that it's specifically for Samsung. Like they're the only competition/alternate option to iPhone. This two phone ecosystem has to go. Isn't the Google Pixel 2 supposed to be a stronger Android phone than the Note 8?
LeFlamaBlanca
(11-07-2017, 07:12 PM)
No wonder their net income is less than half of Apple.

They spend it all on marketing. Even renaming airport terminals.
LordOfChaos
(11-07-2017, 07:21 PM)

Originally Posted by LeFlamaBlanca

No wonder their net income is less than half of Apple.

They spend it all on marketing. Even renaming airport terminals.

Wish they spent it making an SoC that could significantly part from last years iPhone 7.
WaterAstro
(11-07-2017, 07:28 PM)
Well, it's the truth.

But the guy's stache is ugly...
AlfonzoPalutena
(11-07-2017, 07:37 PM)

Originally Posted by hoverboarder

So good, although I hate that it's specifically for Samsung. Like they're the only competition/alternate option to iPhone. This two phone ecosystem has to go. Isn't the Google Pixel 2 supposed to be a stronger Android phone than the Note 8?

It's supposed to be better... but it isnt. Samsung has a better screen, thinner bezels, Iris Scanner, headphone jack, Wacom Pen, SD card slot. Their hardware is just better. It's also cheaper than the Pixel 2 XL, by quite a bit.

Plus you can use Google Assistant, Google Photos, Google Music, and all of Google''s other services on the Note 8 just fine.

Samsung's exclusive software sucks, for the most part (Bixby), but their hardware is way ahead, and you can ignore their additions to Android.
SparkleMotion
(11-07-2017, 07:42 PM)

Originally Posted by LordOfChaos

"Don't be a sheep, buy our shit instead" is a little rich.they're hardly the underdog nor is the X an inferior product in most ways, let alone big advantages like the SoC and better screen despite Samsung sourcing.

The notch haircut was lulz though.

http://www.displaymate.com/iPhoneX_ShootOut_1a.htm

Someone's butthurt.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-07-2017, 07:43 PM)

Originally Posted by AlfonzoPalutena

It's supposed to be better... but it isnt. Samsung has a better screen, thinner bezels, Iris Scanner, headphone jack, Wacom Pen, SD card slot. Their hardware is just better. It's also cheaper than the Pixel 2 XL, by quite a bit.

Plus you can use Google Assistant, Google Photos, Google Music, and all of Google''s other services on the Note 8 just fine.

Samsung's exclusive software sucks, for the most part (Bixby), but their hardware is way ahead, and you can ignore their additions to Android.

Their exclusive software is actually a pretty good suite now. Bixby is a cool compliment to Google Assistant.

Seriously, Samsung's software is actually really good now.
Blam
(11-07-2017, 07:48 PM)
Jesus this ad lmao I love it.
Gaogaogao
(11-07-2017, 08:11 PM)
they supply the oled and probably other parts of the phone.
they cant have it both ways.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-07-2017, 08:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Gaogaogao

they supply the oled and probably other parts of the phone.
they cant have it both ways.

Why not?
Captain Chaos
(11-07-2017, 08:39 PM)
Almost a respectable diss track
crazy monkey
holds a masters in liberal arts
(11-07-2017, 08:40 PM)

Wish they spent it making an SoC that could significantly part from last years iPhone 7.

Doesn't note8 beats iPhone x in normal app openings speed test ?
Breakage
(11-07-2017, 08:44 PM)
Damn, lol
Nevasleep
(11-07-2017, 08:46 PM)
Its good, but imo not very classy to include competitors. In the UK the only other ad I can think of which does that are for discount supermarkets.
yrba1
(11-07-2017, 08:47 PM)
Meanwhile at Apple headquarters

bevishead
(11-07-2017, 09:00 PM)

Originally Posted by crazy monkey

Doesn't note8 beats iPhone x in normal app openings speed test ?

Based on the youtube speed test I have seen, the Iphone X is faster than the Note 8 by a second or less when opening applications. Iphone X takes the crown when rendering video on the phone. The note 8 has 6 gigs of ram so it can hold more apps in memory compared to the 3 gigs in iphone x. The iphone X has a faster processor than the one in the note 8 so even apps that have to reload into that 3 gigs of ram is super fast.
Kurt Angle
(11-08-2017, 12:14 AM)
why did they skip part of his girlfriends house burning down in 2016?
J-Rzez
(11-08-2017, 01:19 AM)

There are a few great android phones out there, including the Pixel 2 and LG V30 (I own, and it's fantastic thus far). Just Google despite having the money to fight fire with fire in marketing just dont care. And LGs marketing team is on vaca or something.
Square Triangle
Kratos can kill Zeus
but not Pam Anderson?
(11-08-2017, 01:40 AM)
Is there something behind the dude in line with that ridiculous hairline?

oh the screen lol
Bamelin1
Banned
(11-08-2017, 01:58 AM)
Commercial is damn. I have an s7, really want an iPhone but 900 CAD on contract? NOPE
Vincent Alexander
(11-08-2017, 02:06 AM)

Originally Posted by yrba1

Meanwhile at Apple headquarters

Is that the 216 billion they're hiding in taxes offshore? Zing!
Johnny Cage In The Shower
(11-08-2017, 02:23 AM)
Here's a commercial about our competitor product's shortcomings; far less significant flaws than our history of flawed products, but ...

Would've been cute if a Galaxy Note exploded in his gf's hand, and in the next scene he was nursing her on the couch.

EDIT: Oh Gawd! I noticed the hairline just now, wtf is that all about??
mackattk
(11-08-2017, 02:50 AM)

It's a Samsung ad. Why would they release an ad for competitors like Google and LG?
Beerman462
(11-08-2017, 03:53 AM)
While I think having to actually acknowledge your competition in an ad is normally pretty weak. This one was pretty well done, because it was subtle. On the other hand, I just have an LG G4 and it's still a great phone.
Nipo
(11-08-2017, 04:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Kurt Angle

why did they skip part of his girlfriends house burning down in 2016?

Yeah waiting for the parody where 2016 comes around and it cuts to a fire then funeral.
bobawesome
(11-08-2017, 04:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Beerman462

This one was pretty well done, because it was subtle.

That was as subtle as a smack to the face followed by an atomic wedgie.
EverydayBeast
(11-08-2017, 04:36 AM)
Lando switches from iPhone to Samsung what’s so savage?
Gaogaogao
(11-08-2017, 04:40 AM)

Originally Posted by Greatest Ever

Why not?

because whatever criticisms they have are completely hollow while they still make substantial contributions to the iphone hardware.
Greatest Ever
pretentious trash
(11-08-2017, 04:44 AM)

Originally Posted by Gaogaogao

because whatever criticisms they have are completely hollow while they still make substantial contributions to the iphone hardware.

And they're getting a substantial chunk of change from it. They're a monopoly in the OLED market, as far as phones go, I don't see your point.
CrimsonSquall
(11-08-2017, 04:56 AM)
How pathetic of Samsung really. Its all they do
newtypepilot
(11-08-2017, 05:50 AM)
LOL that notch haircut. Props to whoever came up with the idea.
llien
(11-08-2017, 06:59 AM)
Brilliant, and mostly my wife's story... :D
RSP
(11-08-2017, 08:35 AM)
LOL @ the hairline
-MD-
(11-08-2017, 09:19 AM)
That's savage?
Baron Doggystyle von Woof
(11-08-2017, 09:36 AM)
Everyone agrees with Samsung making amazing hardware.

It's android and touchwiz we don't like.

Good ad tho.
Dr. Mario
(11-08-2017, 10:20 AM)
Those comparison videos I usually find petty, but I think this is well done, it subtly shows the things the Galaxy S8 does better without pointing the iPhone in a bad light per se (except the notch haircut lol).
Dahaka
(11-08-2017, 12:23 PM)
as an Iphone user I found this funny.
Darkwater
(11-08-2017, 12:42 PM)

"Don't be a sheep, buy our shit instead"

I'm not seeing a 'sheep' message as much as I'm seeing a 'lacking in features and quality' message. The only visual element that says 'sheep' is the lines in front of the store. That seems to be secondary message at the very best.
TimFL
(11-08-2017, 12:56 PM)
I feel indifferent about the commercial, had a good chuckle at the notch haircut though (creative).

But it leaves me to wonder who approves these kind of commercials. I barely have any experience in marketing but afaik there are two big red flags in the clip:
- Insult potential buyers? Check
- Your whole marketing campaign is built around your competitor racking in sales? Check
The way I understand it you‘ve already lost if you have direct comparisons with a competitor in a commercial.

I would‘ve never approved this. Make a nice commercial showing off your products capabilities instead, don‘t show off your competitors products for 75% of the air time...?
Pretty desperate imho. „look at the sheep products, buy samsung instead... please guys dont line up there we have coffee shops coming soon!... please?“
valkyre
(11-08-2017, 01:34 PM)
I consider Samsung's marketing plan towards apple utterly pathetic.

For years now instead of actually focusing on their products, what they do is a crusade of bashing apple products and at the same time insult the intelligence of their "future" or "potential" new customers, that they would like for them to jump ship.

How low can you go really.

I wont even bother with the amount of bullshit Apple could throw towards Samsung if they opted at such a marketing model, like their numerous changes over the years on stuff they used to call "isheep" like for example the battery not being able to remove anymore or the note 7 announcements at the airports and so many other things.

But hey it is what it is, Samsung is probably not yet confident enough to actually promote their own products and they need the apple bashing to become viral. Kinda sad.
OCD Guy
(11-08-2017, 01:38 PM)
Just lol at the "notch"
Dodecagon
works for a research lab making 6 figures
(11-08-2017, 01:54 PM)
How can engineers engineer if marketing is marketing ! It’s almost like Samsung has two divisions with unique responsibilities
MarkMclovin
(11-08-2017, 02:11 PM)

Originally Posted by DJTaurus

LOL Shamesung: SAMSUNG will purportedly make more money from each iPhone X handset sold, than its own flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S8.

Can they troll this too?

What about this samsung? Apple calibrates your screens better than yours?

If Apple wanted to troll Samsung:
https://www.google.gr/search?hl=en&b...ws_rd=cr&dcr=0

I bet you were shaking when you made this post.