• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

aparisi2274
Member
(10-19-2017, 05:46 AM)
aparisi2274's Avatar
I lost it when Elizabeth Banks was lying to the cop and broke out an Irish Accent... oh man, so good.
Sanjuro
Inside Man
(10-19-2017, 01:12 PM)
Sanjuro's Avatar
I do have one serious problem with the new episode. One that might destroy the entire atmosphere of the program.

Just how did Jeff's Cubs cap end up on the garage roof? It seems like such an implausible spot for it to land, and at that angle.
Johnny Cage In The Shower
Member
(10-19-2017, 11:12 PM)
Johnny Cage In The Shower's Avatar

Originally Posted by DongBeetle

Ugh it just doesn't feel nearly as natural as the show did in previous seasons. Something just seems really off. Can't really explain, it just feels massively different

The restaurant manager did grow on me by the end tho lol

Originally Posted by criesofthepast

Not sure I agree with the praise on this episode. Felt like it was one of the weakest Curb episodes of the entire series. Yes seriously. Fatwa sex and Salman were great and the Wayans guy. .

I can think of about 50 other episodes I would rather watch than this one. Not to say it was bad but in the bottom tier.

Originally Posted by RedBullEnergy

I don't know what you guys are watching but it's not Curb. This is over the top and overly exaggerated from the comedy I watched. The stuff with the disturbance would have never gone on that long in seasons by gone, neither would the over the top Elizabeth Banks stuff. Even Leon seems like half a notch above where he used to dial it in before.

Subtlety LD.

And the Ted and Cheryl stuff is just weird! Look how he went with the no fly zone guy compared to this.. Way more believable in how you'd feel in that situation. Meh.

Originally Posted by Epcotman

I feel the same. Curb used to feel semi documentary and grounded. It feels contrived now. Breaks my heart to say it.

I am totally in agreement with most of the above quoted. I am not about to shit on one of my fav shows of all time but...

Maaan, there are some crucial Curb elements (laws if you will) being broken or totally ignored this season, two sequences in this episode totally ripped me out of the Curb universe. Felt so contrived and not like the grounded, documentary like drama that unveils around is as we watch Larry start an argument with a "straight man" character.

The first being Larry's interaction with the Chef in the kitchen.. Now this wasn't as bad as the second one but, the whole thing felt so contrived and weird, the Chef just took Larry's bait and went with it, there was no real argument, Chef was just throwing a tantrum at Larry because he asked about the disturbance. They yelled back and forth, it was kind of pointless.. In a better Curb Episode, the chef would tell Larry to mind his own business and leave his kitchen and how he isn't suppose to be back there, but he didn't even care, as if Larry goes back there often...


If this scenes was a setup for the very last scene of them running through the kitchen knocking things over, it was a weak way of going about it. The purpose of this shot was literally to show the audience that the kitchen in the back exists, there are silver bowls that may fall over later.. "Look everybody".. It was straight up pointless!

Second one that really bothered me was the scenes where the cop gets out of his car and gives him a ticket, this was one of the most unrealistic, "undocumentary" "Very sitcomy" contrived scenes, that totally took me out of the show.

What makes Curb funny is when people Larry encounters, act as normal, and as realistic as any person WE encounter in public in real life. A cop in Curb usually acts just as rational and smart as a cop you'd would encounter in real life...

So for

1) a cop would not park his car at a traffic light stop, sit in his car without the cherries on... My 25 years of driving , I've never seen that happen.
2) A cop, without giving any indication that he is parked middle of the road permanently, would not lose his shit and get out of his car at just one "honk"
3) The old Larry would be too smart and he would point these details out to a cop (or whomever he is arguing with) and win the argument and go about his day... This new Larry is dumb and sometimes doesn't even knwo what he is angry at, but he's always angry (same as the Kitchen vs Chef scene)

"You know officer, if you're in the middle of 'important police business' Why not turn on your "police" lights on, so I know your "police" business" is "serious" So I can drive around you, huh! How about that?"

That's the smart ass Larry I know... With the air quotes and everything.

4)Cop just gets annoyed again, very quickly and writes him a ticket, for what, we don't even know.

The less real, the more cartoony the side characters Larry interacts with, the more an episode loses it's original charm, I think. That's why I really liked Jim Rash's performance as the Hotel clerk in the last Ep, because he really acted like a real life Hotel clerk, minus the pickle jar run ( which was fun and effective) he did not do anything stupid, and tolerated Larry's craziness, with a straight face. Unlike the Cop, who gets out of the car and writes Larry a ticket for honking without the proper build up of dialogue exchange before having the need to give Larry a ticket.
DongBeetle
Banned
(10-19-2017, 11:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Johnny Cage In The Shower

I am totally in agreement with most of the above quoted. I am not about to shit on one of my fav shows of all time but...

Maaan, there are some crucial Curb elements (laws if you will) being broken or totally ignored this season, two sequences in this episode totally ripped me out of the Curb universe. Felt so contrived and not like the grounded, documentary like drama that unveils around is as we watch Larry start an argument with a "straight man" character.

Yup. Just feels incredibly forced
Jag
Member
(10-19-2017, 11:41 PM)
Jag's Avatar

Originally Posted by Johnny Cage In The Shower

That's why I really liked Jim Rash's performance as the Hotel clerk in the last Ep, because he really acted like a real life Hotel clerk, minus the pickle jar run ( which was fun and effective) he did not do anything stupid, and tolerated Larry's craziness, with a straight face.

Look, I like Jim Rash too (Dean!) but those were clearly Pepperidge Farm cookies.
Social
Member
(11-06-2017, 08:29 PM)
Social's Avatar
That whole accidental text thing felt like something out of the pre smartphone era.
CaptainABAB
Member
(11-06-2017, 09:58 PM)
CaptainABAB's Avatar
I thought this was the funniest episode this season... based purely on laugh out loud moments... pushing the perfume lady, the bus of kids mocking him, driving up to the country club with the "10-foot cock" on his car, laughing at Susie’s “complex brain", etc.

“Like I took a straw and put it in a frog’s ass!”

“Goldfish would commit suicide in this water.”
Manus
Junior Member
(11-06-2017, 10:16 PM)
Manus's Avatar
My favorite episode this season. These episodes just keep getting better and better! Plus we finally got the classic Larry stare down.
Ubername
Member
(11-07-2017, 12:11 AM)
Ubername's Avatar
Anyone else think the Greenes' acting is particularly off? Susan seems like she's at a family gathering with unfamiliar relatives; Jeff has been screaming his louder lines and he seems pretty forced. The ayatollah episde has a lot of this
RedBullEnergy
Member
(11-07-2017, 10:32 AM)
RedBullEnergy's Avatar
Yeah Jeff is phoning it in all over the place, not acting just being loud and delivering lines with zero effort.

Last episode was way way closer to classic curb though. Preeeeeety funny.
Sapiens
Member
(11-07-2017, 02:35 PM)
Sapiens's Avatar

Originally Posted by Social

That whole accidental text thing felt like something out of the pre smartphone era.

The median age of the cast is 70. It’s fine.
zeioIIDX
Member
(11-07-2017, 05:30 PM)
zeioIIDX's Avatar
Feels like each episode this season gets funnier and funnier, I loved episode 6. I knew that patented staredown was coming too lol. The whole dirty car escalation (LD ultimately lost lol), the accidental texts on purpose, pants concierge, oh man...too funny.
Jag
Member
(11-07-2017, 05:45 PM)
Jag's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ubername

Anyone else think the Greenes' acting is particularly off? Susan seems like she's at a family gathering with unfamiliar relatives; Jeff has been screaming his louder lines and he seems pretty forced. The ayatollah episde has a lot of this

Yeah Larry's chemistry with Jeff isn't there. He is so much better paired with Leon.
Grizzlyjin
Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
(11-07-2017, 07:16 PM)
Grizzlyjin's Avatar
Easily the best episode of the season. All time classic level. Accidental text on purpose and Richard Lewis' honeys had me crying.
MastAndo
Member
(11-07-2017, 08:45 PM)

Originally Posted by Ubername

Anyone else think the Greenes' acting is particularly off? Susan seems like she's at a family gathering with unfamiliar relatives; Jeff has been screaming his louder lines and he seems pretty forced. The ayatollah episde has a lot of this

He looks tired, like he doesn't really want to be there. The rapport between he and Larry is definitely lacking this season.

That said, I still think the show is really funny. This past episode was all around hilarious - was laughing basically through the entire thing.
Grinchy
Member
(11-08-2017, 03:56 AM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by RedBullEnergy

Yeah Jeff is phoning it in all over the place, not acting just being loud and delivering lines with zero effort.

Last episode was way way closer to classic curb though. Preeeeeety funny.

He's always been the worst one on the show imo.

Larry - "Man, I just can't figure out what pants to wear."

Jeff - "OH, YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE FIGURING OUT WHICH PANTS TO WEAR??"

He just doesn't improv well or keep things flowing. He's just there to keep Larry talking and moving the plot along.
stn
Member
(11-08-2017, 04:10 AM)
stn's Avatar
I was waiting all season for the LD staredown. Did not disappoint.
Ubername
Member
(11-09-2017, 01:43 AM)
Ubername's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jag

Yeah Larry's chemistry with Jeff isn't there. He is so much better paired with Leon.

And personally I don't really like Leon. He kind of took over a lot of the show and a lot of his punchlines involve him describing some situation in a funny way with a curse like, "well Larry, I guess your shit is fucked!" or something like that. I don't know, I always roll my eyes when his line comes and it's effectively what I thought it would be. (I know there's more to him but I'm being purposefully reductionist for this conversation)

A lot of the characters are 1-trick ponies but I get fatigued of Leon super easily and find I have to force laughter when watching with my dad who's a huge Leon fan. Whereas the Susan/Larry standoffs, a Curb staple, are foolproof roflcopters.

Originally Posted by Grinchy

He's always been the worst one on the show imo.

Larry - "Man, I just can't figure out what pants to wear."

Jeff - "OH, YOU'RE HAVING TROUBLE FIGURING OUT WHICH PANTS TO WEAR??"

He just doesn't improv well or keep things flowing. He's just there to keep Larry talking and moving the plot along.

Lol good point but I think he works well on that level. He's Larry's stupid yes-man who is totally checked out the entire time
Manus
Junior Member
(11-09-2017, 05:25 AM)
Manus's Avatar
Man I feel like this season is flying by. Do we know if this is going to be the last season for good?
ZenOfThunder
Junior Member
(11-09-2017, 07:27 AM)
ZenOfThunder's Avatar

Originally Posted by Manus

Man I feel like this season is flying by. Do we know if this is going to be the last season for good?

Larry David never really specifies, I read an interview with him once where he said he would always be open to doing more Curb if he had good enough ideas for a whole season, and said that if he ran out of ideas, he just wouldn't do another one, and that would be that. He mentioned having a good working relationship with HBO. They don't pressure him and if he wants to come back, he can come back any time.

I doubt we'll ever get a solid finale if the show ever does end for good.
Link1110
Member
(11-09-2017, 10:23 AM)

Originally Posted by ZenOfThunder

Larry David never really specifies, I read an interview with him once where he said he would always be open to doing more Curb if he had good enough ideas for a whole season, and said that if he ran out of ideas, he just wouldn't do another one, and that would be that. He mentioned having a good working relationship with HBO. They don't pressure him and if he wants to come back, he can come back any time.

I doubt we'll ever get a solid finale if the show ever does end for good.

What would the finale even be? The only thing I can picture, and it's admittedly more of a family guy cutaway had, is Susie and Larry arguing when Susie takes it a gun and shoots him
MafiaMurderBag
Member
(11-09-2017, 04:57 PM)
MafiaMurderBag's Avatar
A Finale would definitely have to have some kind of symbolic setup to enforce there's no return, but a LD funeral would just be too sombre with out Larry himself turning it into the car wreck we all wanna see, and a Victor Meldrew style death would be too depressing.
Link1110
Member
(11-10-2017, 07:29 AM)

Originally Posted by MafiaMurderBag

A Finale would definitely have to have some kind of symbolic setup to enforce there's no return, but a LD funeral would just be too sombre with out Larry himself turning it into the car wreck we all wanna see, and a Victor Meldrew style death would be too depressing.

Or Funkhouser turning it into a case wreck for revenge the Larry ruined 3 of his family's funerals
Grinchy
Member
(11-10-2017, 11:32 AM)
Grinchy's Avatar
Richard Lewis looks better now than he used to. A few seasons back, he looked like someone reanimated the Crypt Keeper and forced him to act in a TV show. Now he's looking alright.
samenamenick
Junior Member
(11-10-2017, 11:57 AM)
I like to think the finale already happened when he was banished from NY. Pig parkeur!

Everything after that is just more sweet, sweet icing on the LD cake

Thread Tools