• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Yarbskoo
(09-23-2017, 10:23 AM)

Originally Posted by lastplayed

My body is ready.

Oh man, that starship collection. I can see more ships in that picture than in my entire collection.

SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-23-2017, 10:23 AM)

Originally Posted by Breqesk

Itís been twelve years. Oooooh Iím all tingly.

Itís been a long time. Getting from Enterprise to here.
DBT85
(09-23-2017, 10:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Yarbskoo

Oh man, that starship collection. I can see more ships in that picture than in my entire collection.

If Lego had the Trek license I'd be so poor.
lastplayed
(09-23-2017, 10:38 AM)

It's a pretty good collection overall, but I was a bit late to it subscribing, I'm only about halfway through where it is currently. There's some awesome kitbash and concept ships coming up.
Meus Renaissance
(09-23-2017, 10:41 AM)
Michelle Yeoh's delivery is shocking.
farscape82
(09-23-2017, 11:39 AM)

Originally Posted by TheChamp

Please be on Netflix 4k would look amazing

The Trailer for it on Netflix is in 4K.
SlipperyFishes
Banned
(09-23-2017, 11:41 AM)

Originally Posted by farscape82

The Trailer for it on Netflix is in 4K.

All Netflix originals are mandated to be 4K. And itís very much an original due to the rights get negotiated for the show (and essentially paid for production on)
Kevin
(09-23-2017, 11:42 AM)
Man imagine this on 4K UHD... *drools*
TVexperto
(09-23-2017, 12:09 PM)
Im so happy I can watch this in europe in 4k the morning after it airs in the US....netflix is awesome
tootie923
(09-23-2017, 12:14 PM)
I'm mostly tuning in for Jason Isaacs in a Star Trek uniform.

Discotheque
Banned
(09-23-2017, 01:03 PM)
i read that Jason Isaacs is the captain of another starship separate from the one the main character serves on.

thats a shame I was hoping he would be the major captain of the show. getting excited for this now that its coming up so soon. its been too long, and I haven't really seen a Star Trek show since TNG either.
ClivePwned
(09-23-2017, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

Itís been a long time. Getting from Enterprise to here.

Mr. Luchador
I played NeoGAF Bingo and all I got was this tag
(09-23-2017, 01:28 PM)
Please... be... gooooooood...
Grimsen
(09-23-2017, 01:59 PM)
I'm excited. Been watching Star Trek my whole life, why stop now?

Where would one get these small Star Trek ships?
Muskieratboi
(09-23-2017, 02:10 PM)
My Netflix Subscription pays for itself yet again.
Muskieratboi
(09-23-2017, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Grimsen

Look up Star Trek: Attack Wing. Also a nice Tabletop Tactical miniatures game.
Succinct Verbosity
(09-23-2017, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by Discotheque

i read that Jason Isaacs is the captain of another starship separate from the one the main character serves on.

thats a shame I was hoping he would be the major captain of the show. getting excited for this now that its coming up so soon. its been too long, and I haven't really seen a Star Trek show since TNG either.

He is the Captain of Discovery. Long held belief is that we will jump to the ship in the trailer to discovery at some point in the show with Isaacs taking over. There are some beliefs he may not be captain of the discovery for long, but we will see.
BossDarkseid
(09-23-2017, 02:13 PM)
The only series I've seen is the OG series when it first came on Netflix...cautiously optimistic for this.
CD93
(09-23-2017, 02:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Succinct Verbosity

He is the Captain of Discovery. Long held belief is that we will jump to the ship in the trailer to discovery at some point in the show with Isaacs taking over. There are some beliefs he may not be captain of the discovery for long, but we will see.

I honestly have no doubt in my mind that Yeoh and the Shenzhou are gone by the end of Episode 2. Would like to be proven wrong, it would be nice to be invested in multiple ships, but there are multiple characters making the jump to the Discovery... let alone enough shots in the trailers of Yeoh's Bridge being blown apart.
lastplayed
(09-23-2017, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Grimsen

I'm excited. Been watching Star Trek my whole life, why stop now?

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/star-trek-starships
UpUpDownDown
(09-23-2017, 03:06 PM)
Been having a blast the last few months watching GAF speculate.

Can't wait for you all to finally see what we've been working on!
sammex
(09-23-2017, 03:07 PM)

Originally Posted by UpUpDownDown

Been having a blast the last few months watching GAF speculate.

Can't wait for you all to finally see what we've been working on!

Are you a writer on the show?
UpUpDownDown
(09-23-2017, 03:09 PM)

Originally Posted by sammex

Are you a writer on the show?

Vfx crew.
sammex
(09-23-2017, 03:11 PM)

Originally Posted by UpUpDownDown

Vfx crew.

Nice one. That must've been fun, from all the trailers etc it looks spectacular. Any insights you can share with us? Have you seen the finished episodes?
UpUpDownDown
(09-23-2017, 03:21 PM)

Originally Posted by sammex

Nice one. That must've been fun, from all the trailers etc it looks spectacular. Any insights you can share with us? Have you seen the finished episodes?

I'll say the show can stand on its own, even without the fancy vfx.

I think you'll all get a kick out of it.
sunofsam
(09-23-2017, 03:29 PM)
Wait, Rainn Wilson is Mudd? Sweet baby Yeezus.
lawnchair
Banned
(09-23-2017, 03:34 PM)
i hope they find the xindi.
TyrantII
(09-23-2017, 03:37 PM)
Please be good. The world need good Trek more than ever with all the cynical, sad bullshit going on.
RPGCrazied
(09-23-2017, 03:40 PM)
Lets do this. Got my CBS all access subscription started with no commercials. Can't have those during Star Trek!
Pluto
(09-23-2017, 03:41 PM)

Originally Posted by SlipperyFishes

All Netflix originals are mandated to be 4K. And itís very much an original due to the rights get negotiated for the show (and essentially paid for production on)

Netflix calls all shows that they air exclusively in a territory "Netflix Original" (Riverdale and Better Call Saul in germany for example) but that doesn't mean they are. Star Trek Discovery is not produced by or for Netflix, it's a CBS show.
bonesmccoy
Banned
(09-23-2017, 04:00 PM)
I don't have Crave or Space. 😒
WyndhamPrice
(09-23-2017, 04:11 PM)

Originally Posted by Pluto

Netflix calls all shows that they air exclusively in a territory "Netflix Original" (Riverdale and Better Call Saul in germany for example) but that doesn't mean they are. Star Trek Discovery is not produced by or for Netflix, it's a CBS show.

Netflix actually is a producing partner for this show. It's more than just a distribution deal.
berzeli
Banned
(09-23-2017, 04:19 PM)

Originally Posted by Z3M0G

Wait so Netflix IS getting it??? Im so confused... how can they plan to have it on their own service at the same time!?!

Oh... not in US or Canada?

United States - CBS All Access (with the first episode airing on regular CBS)
Canada - Space or Crave TV
Rest of world - Netflix

Originally Posted by WyndhamPrice

Netflix actually is a producing partner for this show. It's more than just a distribution deal.

Nope. They are only distributors.
Freeza Under The Shower
(09-23-2017, 04:48 PM)

Originally Posted by pigeon

Brief message from ivysaur, a poster who used to post in TV-GAF a lot:

Yay!
But I will say I'm going to need a real Star Trek Disco now: "set phasers to party".

On a completely different, and serious, note: calling this show ST's entry into serial TV is disingenuous because DS9 (as a rival to Babylon 5) and even Enterprise already were serial shows at the time. It's just that the rest of television hadn't moved into it yet. But we already had serial sci-fi when the rest of the TV landscape was still doing sitcoms and stuff.
Red Arremer
(09-23-2017, 04:55 PM)
You know what I'm sad about? That we're not getting Andorians, let alone Tellarites, as members of the main cast again. I would've loved to see something different to Vulcan stuff for a change. Oh well.

Originally Posted by lastplayed

My body is ready.

Are those the Eaglemoss ones?
jiji
purveyor and connoisseur
of fine gaming specimens
(09-23-2017, 04:59 PM)

Originally Posted by TyrantII

Please be good. The world need good Trek more than ever with all the cynical, sad bullshit going on.

But what if it's Trek with a bunch of cynical, sad bullshit?

OK, OK, I'll stop. Please be good.
SRG01
(09-23-2017, 05:00 PM)

Originally Posted by berzeli

United States - CBS All Access (with the first episode airing on regular CBS)
Canada - Space or Crave TV
Rest of world - Netflix

Nope. They are only distributors.

Wait, I thought Canada was getting it through Netflix?! What the damn hell is this?!
rjinaz
(09-23-2017, 05:08 PM)
wikipedia says the second episode airs this Sunday too is that correct? If so I assume that means the first episode will be on CBS while the second will be All Access? I need to know when to start my free trial, this week or next week.
BlazinSkatinAxel
(09-23-2017, 05:11 PM)
They should've just aired on CBS or on Netflix.
Mark Andrew
(09-23-2017, 05:20 PM)

Originally Posted by BlazinSkatinAxel

They should've just aired on CBS or on Netflix.

Yeah I have a hard time justifying adding another streaming service. Between HBO, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Iím already paying enough. Wish CBS would just buy a stake in Hulu or something.
AndersK
(09-23-2017, 05:21 PM)

Originally Posted by tootie923

I'm mostly tuning in for Jason Isaacs in a Star Trek uniform.

We can be friends.
Mr. Luchador
(09-23-2017, 05:23 PM)
A great time for sci-fi on UK Netflix right now.

All the previous Star Treks, Star Trek Discovery, Generations, First Contract, Insurrection too. I think Beyond Darkness is there as well. Then you have Season 1 & 2 of The Expanse, Killjoys and... boy not enough hours in the day!
berzeli
Banned
(09-23-2017, 05:26 PM)

Originally Posted by SRG01

Wait, I thought Canada was getting it through Netflix?! What the damn hell is this?!

Nope, Bell Media did the same deal as Netflix for Discovery+rest of the Trek shows for Canada.

Originally Posted by rjinaz

wikipedia says the second episode airs this Sunday too is that correct? If so I assume that means the first episode will be on CBS while the second will be All Access? I need to know when to start my free trial, this week or next week.

Only the first episode airs on regular CBS.
The first two episodes will be available for streaming this Sunday.
AndersK
(09-23-2017, 05:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr. Luchador

A great time for sci-fi on UK Netflix right now.

All the previous Star Treks, Star Trek Discovery, Generations, First Contract, Insurrection too. I think Beyond Darkness is there as well. Then you have Season 1 & 2 of The Expanse, Killjoys and... boy not enough hours in the day!

Yeah, I just started the expanse to tide me over until this has some eps.

What's up with SyFy? Since BSG I mostly recall them making absolute dumpster tier shows. And suddenly the Expanse not only looks convincing, but seems to be genuinely good. Did they start boosting their shows budgets or what?
Mr. Luchador
(09-23-2017, 05:30 PM)

Originally Posted by AndersK

Yeah, I just started the expanse to tide me over until this has some eps.

What's up with SyFy? Since BSG I mostly recall them making absolute dumpster tier shows. And suddenly the Expanse not only looks convincing, but seems to be genuinely good. Did they start boosting their shows budgets or what?

No idea, but they have a good lineup for hidden gems.

The Expanse
Z Nation
Van Helsing
Killjoys
Dark Matter
12 Monkies
Wyonna Erp
Blood Drive

And then some other ones about a town with humans who morph into animals my friend keeps telling me about and I totally keep forgetting the name of. I think it's on after Blood Drive or something.
SArcher
(09-23-2017, 05:31 PM)

Originally Posted by rjinaz

That's my understanding as well. Both will be available on All Access this Sunday.
Huw_Dawson
(09-23-2017, 05:32 PM)
I'm not really sure who is best served by the distribution structure.

Those who get the show a day early get it on less popular distribution channels, and the popular channel (Netflix) gets it a day late.

Seems like an invitation for mass piracy.
Succinct Verbosity
(09-23-2017, 05:35 PM)

Originally Posted by Huw_Dawson

I'm not really sure who is best served by the distribution structure.

Those who get the show a day early get it on less popular distribution channels, and the popular channel (Netflix) gets it a day late.

Seems like an invitation for mass piracy.

The show comes out at like 7am the following day in the uk. Nobody is desperate enough to pirate a show that will be on less than a few hours after airing in the US.
Mr. Luchador
(09-23-2017, 05:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Succinct Verbosity

The show comes out at like 7am the following day in the uk. Nobody is desperate enough to pirate a show that will be on less than a few hours after airing in the US.

Game of Thrones. That thing is pirated the week before its release, or as it's aired!