• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

adj_noun
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
adj_noun's Avatar

Originally Posted by Vormund

This sounds great.

The doctor should do a surprised self boob grab when he/she/it regenerates.

only slightly joking

WalshyB
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
WalshyB's Avatar
Top shagger in Black Mirror?
Saya
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
She was great in Broadchurch.
Alienfan
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
Alienfan's Avatar
The online reaction isn't as toxic as I thought it would be, mostly people making fun of the few upset people
Glass
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
Glass's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plum

FTFY. You should feel ashamed for missing that tbh.

Dammit. Call it a group effort.
vio
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:56 PM)
vio's Avatar
Cheating lying wife in one of the best Black Mirror episodes.
Sheroking
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
If I'm not much mistaken, we've known that Timelords can change gender going back to supplementary Classic Who stuff. It was only affirmed in Canon in The Doctor's Wife.
WillyFive
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
WillyFive's Avatar
She's younger looking than I expected.

Lost interest with Capaldi (but not because of his Doctor), hopefully her first episode is a good enough starting point again. Matt Smith's Eleventh Hour was the perfect entry point for Doctor Who.
Kinsei
Banned
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Wiseblade

I hope after a good long 5 year run, she regenerates into Richard Ayoade. The tears will be delicious.

Yes. Ayoade would make a great Doctor.
jwk94
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
jwk94's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ash735

Not happy with the choice.

Not because she's a woman, because she's not black.

Someone close to me felt the same way. Personally, I don't mind. A black woman would've been cool, or really an POC, but I'm fine with a white lady for now.
louiedog
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
louiedog's Avatar
At least one of those people who are mad works on security access systems.

She was given an eight-digit access code to get into the female changing area but found herself locked out when she first tried to use it.

She asked staff for help and was outraged when they told her their security system had assumed she was a male because she had the title Dr.

When she asked if the system could be changed she was told it couldn't and she would have to drop her title to gain entry.

Chained Prometheus
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
Chained Prometheus's Avatar

Originally Posted by adj_noun

"You're quite literally no longer the man I fell in love with, Doctor."
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
ezekial45's Avatar
Was hoping for Hayley Atwell, but she's cool too.
moggio
Banned
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
Great choice.
Adam Scott Aukerman
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:57 PM)
Very excited by the choice, and also curious to see how Chibnall will change the show.

On a tangent, is Broadchurch series 3 worth watching? Suffering through the second series was enough to put me off even bothering with it.
davidcotton
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Chezzymann

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

Nail on head.

As long as the character is played the same it really shouldn't matter. Let's face it if it is a glorious failure then end of the 12 episode (or christmas special) bang on the back of the head, glow of light and someone else takes over (or picks up the pieces depending on your point of view!).
jack_package_200
Banned
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)

Originally Posted by Alienfan

The online reaction isn't as toxic as I thought it would be, mostly people making fun of the few upset people

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well
blly155
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)
blly155's Avatar
i only watched the first series of broadchurch. is she in series 2 and 3?? might need to go watch them now.
Ahnez
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)
Ahnez's Avatar
Yeess they did it
rtcn63
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)


Originally Posted by blly155

i only watched the first series of broadchurch. is she in series 2 and 3?? might need to go watch them now.

2 is a direct continuation of season 1... but I recommend skipping it. It slogs on and just feels unnecessary.
Proteus
BOSS
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)
Proteus's Avatar
Try not to think too hard about regeneration canon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9eEk-S6RUc
JonathanEx
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:58 PM)
JonathanEx's Avatar

Originally Posted by Adam Scott Aukerman

Very excited by the choice, and also curious to see how Chibnall will change the show.

On a tangent, is Broadchurch series 3 worth watching? Suffering through the second series was enough to put me off even bothering with it.

3 was better than 2 as it actually had a new case. Still suffered from Broadchurch's slow-as-fuck pace IMO, but it was good.
Bronx-Man
Banned
(07-16-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

reddit

in 2017
Briarios
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:59 PM)
Briarios's Avatar
lol Someone on Twitter posted that the series 11 first episode title leaked : "Planet of the White Male Tears"
funkystudent
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:59 PM)
funkystudent's Avatar
Other pic from the BBC news post

Sheroking
Member
(07-16-2017, 05:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Proteus

Try not to think too hard about regeneration canon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9eEk-S6RUc

Well, yeah, NuWho rewrote a lot of the rules for the better.
V_Arnold
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:00 PM)
V_Arnold's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chezzymann

As long as they dont focus on her being a woman in the new episodes while constantly pointing it out and just let her play the doctor as usual, I dont see the problem people are having over this. At least wait for the new season before saying this was done purely for political correctness or something.

Its not like the Doctor was made fun of for his looks/changes ALL TIME time, right?
Right?

Yeah. She will be "poked fun of", obviously. Every single change is mocked. All the time. (I mean in-universe).

(Before someone misunderstands, I love the new Doctor already, I am just saying that we cant expect older characters in the universe to not react to the doctor being a woman now.)
iMax
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:00 PM)
iMax's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ash735

Not happy with the choice.

Not because she's a woman, because she's not black.

Perhaps reserve judgement until you've seen her perform the role?
blly155
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:00 PM)
blly155's Avatar

Originally Posted by funkystudent

Other pic from the BBC news post

wow. the blonde suits her. i hope she keeps it.
Sheroking
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:00 PM)

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

The reaction has been bad overall in some places three straight times.

"Ew, young guy"
"Ew, old guy"
"Ew, girl".
Hindenblewp
Banned
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

r/gallifrey handling DW discussion better than r/doctorwho?

I'm shocked.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
I feel like any worries people are having that her womanhood is going to be a primary focus of her characterization and source of the show's drama might be lessened a little by a quote Chibnall had made earlier in the year, a quote that actually read as something very different then but seems kind of a reassurance now:

He basically said he's not looking to gimmick anything, and he doesn't want anything to play as a gimmick.

At the time, being as it was a response to the "Would you ever cast a woman" question, it sounded like he was basically implying that casting a woman at all would be considered gimmicky. But now, it seems like what he's saying is the fact the Doctor is a woman isn't going to be the focus at all.

Sorta like how Missy being Missy never really fueled anything Missy was doing.
Bold One
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
Bold One's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ash735

Not happy with the choice.

Not because she's a woman, because she's not black.

I wished it was a POC too, but I think time travel is rough for black folk
MartyStu
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
MartyStu's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

I wonder what her outfit will look like.

Ecclesten, Tennant, and Smith's outfits had a lot of personality to them. Capaldi's was eh.

Take that back!

Capaldi's fancy Hobo attire is TIMELESS!
Cheat Code
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
Cheat Code's Avatar
They actually did it the absolute madmen.
blly155
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
blly155's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

it's reddit, what do you expect?
scarlet
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
scarlet's Avatar
Never watched it. But reading the tweet replies isn't good for my sanity. Some people are just horrible human being.
Proteus
BOSS
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
Proteus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sheroking

The reaction has been bad overall in some places three straight times.

"Ew, young guy"
"Ew, old guy"
"Ew, girl".

You can't please everyone.
rtcn63
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)

Originally Posted by blly155

wow. the blonde suits her. i hope she keeps it.

I can see them going for a "second coming of David Tennant" nod. When I first saw Tennant, I was all, "Eccleston to this guy?". And now he's probably my favorite.
Fine Ham Abounds
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:01 PM)
Fine Ham Abounds's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mariolee

A person brought this up in the other thread and it would be the PERFECT way to have her regenerate. Dreading if they do the whole "feels boobs in surprise with terrified face" schtick.

They're absolutely going to do this in some form.

I suspect it will be more like saying something, realizing the voice sounds a bit odd, then looking down and going, "oh, no, after all this time?"
DiipuSurotu
Banned
(07-16-2017, 06:02 PM)
DiipuSurotu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Cheat Code

They actually did it the absolute madmen with boxes.

FTFY
The Emperor
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:02 PM)
The Emperor's Avatar

Originally Posted by vio

Cheating lying wife in one of the best Black Mirror episodes.

Ahhh so this is what I know her from

I kept thinking she was in Humans for some reason

She's a good actress!
Slayven
gimme some o dat God-crafted alabaster greatness
(07-16-2017, 06:03 PM)
Slayven's Avatar
Ready for the nuclear takes
The Cowboy
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:03 PM)
The Cowboy's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

No worse than the switch to Matt Smith, plus its reddit - changing to anyone (man, woman or reptile) would get a reaction.
Bobby Roberts
Banned
(07-16-2017, 06:03 PM)
Sixth Doctor approved

https://twitter.com/SawbonesHex/stat...13052447129601
jack_package_200
Banned
(07-16-2017, 06:04 PM)

Originally Posted by MartyStu

Take that back!

Capaldi's fancy Hobo attire is TIMELESS!

.
torre_avenue
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:04 PM)
torre_avenue's Avatar

Originally Posted by jack_package_200

r/doctorwho isn't handling it particularly well

Scanning through the comments now, a lot seem supportive of the choice. Of course you got the dicks saying "I'm not taking this as canon", but the vast majority of those posting seem to enjoy the idea of a female Doctor.
rtcn63
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:04 PM)
Doctor Who |OT| About Time, M'Lady
autumnleaf
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:04 PM)
autumnleaf's Avatar

Originally Posted by Fine Ham Abounds

They're absolutely going to do this in some form.

I suspect it will be more like saying something, realizing the voice sounds a bit odd, then looking down and going, "oh, no, after all this time?"

Will probably be a bit self-referential and say something like "Well, it's about time."
FortuneFaded
Member
(07-16-2017, 06:05 PM)
FortuneFaded's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bold One

I wished it was a POC too, but I think time travel is rough for black folk

Black people are at risk for enlarged hearts. I can't imagine how much worse it would be with two of them.

Thread Tools