• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SoldierOfLight
(11-09-2017, 04:13 PM)
I've sold and bought many things off places like Craigslist, Close 5 and other seller related apps. Of course several times there have been those red flags that I avoid but I've never had any issues thankfully.
Unfortunately, I'm sure some people on GAF have been suckered into some scams wether it was being paid counterfeit money or robbed or something related.

Recently I put my Xbox one up for sale on several places. Someone offered to buy it at the price I offered. One of the first question I ask is what city they live in. So this person did live nearby. I did offer to meet at my place (to verify the console works) or I would bring it to their address and test it there. They chose the latter but then also texted me asking if I could give him/her a ride to the ATM to get the $ .
That raised a red flag for me since this person could give me any address to pick them up from, have me drive them to a location and probably Rob me. I told them I couldn't and would prefer them to have the $ by the time I arrive. The person insisted but then just ended with ok and never got back to me.
I feel I avoided being mugged, kind of scary to imagine.

Any one else have any close calls or been scammed?
Very Berry Sunday
(11-09-2017, 04:26 PM)
I usually meet at a Starbucks. I never invite anyone to my home, except that one time when I got greedy and there was a local fire at the time that blocked the streets.
aaronsan
(11-09-2017, 04:33 PM)
We were selling my father-in-law's boat on ebay quite a few years ago, and the top bidder had a really strange name that sounded Russian, and there were a few other flags that it might not be legit...I can't remember them all now. One was the extremely high offer, just beyond reason. Another was that he was asking if he could wire the money, something like that. We got this strong feeling of "Russian mafia", but I can't tell you exactly why or how.

Sure enough, after the bid closed, these strange requests kept occurring and payment was just not being received. So we used ebay's mechanism to cancel the top bidder and offer to the next in line. No one was murdered, so that's good. But it was really fishy.

Yeah, public place is best, or at your place if you don't live alone, but these days having someone know where you live just seems so risky. Americans are crazy....

But the most "scamming" we face these days is people show up with less money than the agreed upon amount and puppy-dog-eyes us when the time comes to pay. If it's close, we just take it. Fucking bullshit, though.
styl3s
(11-09-2017, 04:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Very Berry Sunday

I usually meet at a Starbucks. I never invite anyone to my home, except that one time when I got greedy and there was a local fire at the time that blocked the streets.

I used to meet there but found out we have cops that hang out around the foot court in the mall so that's where i do business now.

The only red flag was a guy wanting to meet me at this abandonded shopping center parking lot at like 2-3am. Unless its a really unusual request like this i don'y really have a reason to assume they are trying to scam me or rob me i have done well over 200 craigslist transactions in the last few years with no problems. I've met people at their houses, had people come to my house etc.
HammerOfThor
(11-09-2017, 04:49 PM)
My local police station advertises as a place to meetup for these types of things. So I do it there. Or in a densely populated area if its during the week(like Whole Foods, Starbucks, etc).
SSJ4Broly
(11-10-2017, 02:08 AM)
Never go alone or unarmed either.
mohuerta
(11-10-2017, 02:42 AM)
About 10 or 12 years ago I was selling a slider phone on ebay with both bids and a buy-it-now price. A buyer messaged me telling me they would pay me $100 more than the buy-it-now price, but I had to remove the listing and they would pay me with a western union money order and they wanted me to send the phone when I received an email from western union saying that the buyer had bought a money order for the agreed amount. I told them I could send the phone once I received and cashed the money order. They insisted that the western union email I would receive was proof that I would get payed and they could not wait for me to receive the money order before sending the phone as they were reselling the phone and already had a buyer waiting.

Of course, I told them no deal. They could easily cancel or not send the money order or send a fake email. They were not happy, sent . I kept the listing and sold the phone to another buyer for the full amount I wanted.
Clockwork
(11-10-2017, 03:10 AM)
No scams, but tonight the guy that was supposed to buy my Xbox One S was a no show.

So annoying. Didn't have the courtesy to even say no thanks/nevermind. He simply didn't show up.
CadetMahoney
(11-10-2017, 04:11 AM)

Originally Posted by HammerOfThor

My local police station advertises as a place to meetup for these types of things. So I do it there.

That's pretty amazing to me.
Very Berry Sunday
(11-10-2017, 07:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Clockwork

No scams, but tonight the guy that was supposed to buy my Xbox One S was a no show.

So annoying. Didn't have the courtesy to even say no thanks/nevermind. He simply didn't show up.

That's why I always ask the buyer to text me when they're 15 minutes away from the meeting place, such as Starbucks.

I never had a no show ever since I follow that rule.
SoldierOfLight
(11-10-2017, 02:32 PM)

Originally Posted by Clockwork

I've had many of those this past week. It's like they want to buy it for cheap on impulse yet decide to wait and buy a new one for more in the coming weeks.
Clockwork
(11-10-2017, 02:51 PM)

Originally Posted by SoldierOfLight

I've had many of those this past week. It's like they want to buy it for cheap on impulse yet decide to wait and buy a new one for more in the coming weeks.

Which is their prerogative, just don't be a dick about it. It won't hurt my feelings to tell me you changed your mind.
andythinkpad
(11-10-2017, 02:53 PM)
You go through that much trouble just to avoid paying the ebay fee? I don't ever want to talk to my buyer ever.
Clockwork
(11-10-2017, 03:02 PM)

Originally Posted by andythinkpad

You go through that much trouble just to avoid paying the ebay fee? I don't ever want to talk to my buyer ever.

I prefer to deal with someone locally. I also like FB Marketplace because I can do a preemptive review of their profile to see if they seem skeezy.

It has nothing to do with fees.

Edit: And on that note I just had a successful transaction on my old Xbox One S. Yay me.
Ashhong
(11-10-2017, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by andythinkpad

Do you realize just how easy it is to scam you on eBay? No thank you
HoodWinked
(11-10-2017, 09:49 PM)
on ebay i bought a gaming mouse. when i received it, it was dinged up and not at all "like new"

so i messaged the seller and he says that he thinks I'm scamming HIM. and says he has the serial number so he knows if i'm trying to trick him.

i go and check the mouse and the serial number on the mouse doesn't match the one on the box.

i never thought i'd get fucked as a buyer on ebay. this is the most elaborate scam just so this guy could get away with selling a product as like new instead of used...
CadetMahoney
(11-10-2017, 10:20 PM)
Has anyone here successfully sold high end computer components like graphics cards / CPU's etc? without letting the buyer into your home to test it?

Also never knew ebay owned that free local trading site Gumtree. They also have a 25% stake in Craigslist taken from a former employee.
BANGS
(11-10-2017, 10:23 PM)

Originally Posted by HoodWinked

on ebay i bought a gaming mouse. when i received it, it was dinged up and not at all "like new"

so i messaged the seller and he says that he thinks I'm scamming HIM. and says he has the serial number so he knows if i'm trying to trick him.

i go and check the mouse and the serial number on the mouse doesn't match the one on the box.

i never thought i'd get fucked as a buyer on ebay. this is the most elaborate scam just so this guy could get away with selling a product as like new instead of used...

You should be covered if you open up a request with ebay. If you payed with paypal, you're double covered...
Ashhong
(11-10-2017, 10:56 PM)

Originally Posted by HoodWinked

That's cute the buyer thinks him having a number is any kind of proof. File the claim and watch the money come right back to your account.
SoldierOfLight
(11-12-2017, 12:21 AM)
After so many buyers being shady and flakey, I finally sold my Xbox one this morning and the guy didn't even ask to see if it works. Met at a Starbucks and sale was done.

Deal was made through Craigslist too.