• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

thesoapster
Member
(03-01-2009, 02:31 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

Well it isn't like I'm looking for offroad capabilities, but rather a comfortable upright seating position that's good for long rides, like my current bike. I really hate how touring and cruisers have all aped Harley Davidson lowriders, I don't like sticking my feet out in front of me.

Oh, well then either the Versys or a Ninja650R would be good I'd think. Also Kawasaki released the ER-6n this year. All of those bikes have that 650 parallel twin, and they have quite comfortable seating with upright seating position. I'd still check out the V-Strom from Suzuki...or even the SV650. If you wanted a standard with a bit more oomph, Yamaha's FZ1 might be worth a look. Have you looked at the Triumph Street or Speed Triples? If you're not afraid of Dukes, the Monster 696 is supposed to be pretty good. I also quite like my brother's bike - Aprilia SL750 Shiver. The only uncomfortable thing for me on it is I wish the seat was a little lower...only 30" inseam...but usually not an issue for me as one-footing is simple...just wish I had a little more leverage from time to time.

I take it you're looking at getting another bike...what are you looking for besides standard seating and long distance comfort? Lots of good standards out there.
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(03-01-2009, 02:55 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Oh, well then either the Versys or a Ninja650R would be good I'd think. Also Kawasaki released the ER-6n this year. All of those bikes have that 650 parallel twin, and they have quite comfortable seating with upright seating position. I'd still check out the V-Strom from Suzuki...or even the SV650. If you wanted a standard with a bit more oomph, Yamaha's FZ1 might be worth a look. Have you looked at the Triumph Street or Speed Triples? If you're not afraid of Dukes, the Monster 696 is supposed to be pretty good. I also quite like my brother's bike - Aprilia SL750 Shiver. The only uncomfortable thing for me on it is I wish the seat was a little lower...only 30" inseam...but usually not an issue for me as one-footing is simple...just wish I had a little more leverage from time to time.

I take it you're looking at getting another bike...what are you looking for besides standard seating and long distance comfort? Lots of good standards out there.

Well first off, I'm not looking to buy in the next six months, but rather in the next couple of years. Mainly because while my '84 is in great shape it IS old, and eventually I'm going to require a new bike. I bought her with 42 000 km on it a year ago and I've already put the odometre to over 55k since I ride every day (other than in winter).

Plus it'd be great to have some more modern amenities and safety features like ABS and maybe heated handgrips and hard (lockable) cases. I'd like to get a headstart on researching for a purchase.

I'm not huge on sportsbikes (not a fan of leaning over) and as mentioned, I don't like the lowrider mentality that every cruiser/touring bike took after 1989.

I'd love to get a Triumph, Ducati or BMW, but they're not only expensive to purchase, but also to maintain. (I fell in love with a 2007 Scrambler I came across but alas, alack monies.)

As for what I'm looking for asides from the upright riding position and comfortable for long rides, it'd be also be great to have a bike that's very comfortable for a passenger, as I'm often giving lifts (over longer distances too).

Finally, I'm a fan of "classic" bike stylings, like my Shadow's design. This part isn't really as much an issue though as if a bike is comfortable/safe/fun to ride, I'm not a big stickler on fashion.

In the end I'm hoping to spend less than 5000$USD on a new bike in a few years (preferably under 3000$ though I know that's unlikely).

Going by all that info, I had thought the Bandit 1250ABS might be a good choice.
nomster
Member
(03-01-2009, 02:57 AM)
nomster's Avatar
sv650/1000s are a decent choice for upright seating. Pretty sure both are available with abs
thesoapster
Member
(03-01-2009, 04:07 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Well that certainly narrows it a bit. Suzuki would probably be your best manufacturer here. The Bandit, SV650, and V-Strom all come in ABS versions. The SV650 is about as close to a "classic" style as you'd be able to get from Suzuki while still having that ABS option.

You'll have to be buying used as you know, and I think that could be slightly problematic in getting an ABS version. Definitely worth watching to see if one pops up in the coming years.
JimmyV
Banned
(03-01-2009, 04:30 AM)

Originally Posted by Outlaw


HAHA I remember this thing!! Did it ever go into production?
wormstrangler
Banned
(03-01-2009, 04:55 AM)
I only ride dirt. Got a YZ125WR '04 and a WR360 '00.

Here's me on the 125 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC5ZiHnBew
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(03-01-2009, 05:02 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Well that certainly narrows it a bit. Suzuki would probably be your best manufacturer here. The Bandit, SV650, and V-Strom all come in ABS versions. The SV650 is about as close to a "classic" style as you'd be able to get from Suzuki while still having that ABS option.

The SV650 looks very nice indeed. Ever ride with a passenger on that? I'd prefer also for whatever bike I'd get to have a sissy bar too...

You'll have to be buying used as you know, and I think that could be slightly problematic in getting an ABS version. Definitely worth watching to see if one pops up in the coming years.

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of buying anything like that new haha. I do appreciate your help though. I think I've got it narrowed to an 08/07 1250ABS Bandit or the SV650.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-01-2009, 05:55 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
I'm still alive! You know rain, sleet and snow are one thing on a bike, but rain, sleet and snow + a 25mph cross-wind over bridges is a whole different story. Serious asshole clenching. :lol

Getting drunk in Memphis waiting for the snow to melt. :D
thesoapster
Member
(03-01-2009, 09:44 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

The SV650 looks very nice indeed. Ever ride with a passenger on that? I'd prefer also for whatever bike I'd get to have a sissy bar too...

I don't think I've ever had the pleasure of buying anything like that new haha. I do appreciate your help though. I think I've got it narrowed to an 08/07 1250ABS Bandit or the SV650.

I've only known SV riders and sat on one once, have not ridden one myself. Have you sat on either bike? I could be mistaken but I think the seating position is slightly forward on the SV (have not sat on a Bandit myself). Even if that bothered you you could always get aftermarket handlebars. As for the sissy bar, that's all aftermarket as well. Luggage bags could be added, etc. For heated hand grips...that could be difficult...but you can always get heated gear to wear (gloves, vest...etc).

An SV should be easy to find...very popular bike (ABS version likely not as popular)...though you may find more of the S version (more fairing/different headlight = sportier look...not sure if there's any difference beyond that, really).

Originally Posted by jimmbow

HAHA I remember this thing!! Did it ever go into production?

Hell no. That thing looks like it could only go in a straight line, anyway :lol
nomster
Member
(03-01-2009, 10:00 AM)
nomster's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

I've only known SV riders and sat on one once, have not ridden one myself. Have you sat on either bike? I could be mistaken but I think the seating position is slightly forward on the SV (have not sat on a Bandit myself). Even if that bothered you you could always get aftermarket handlebars. As for the sissy bar, that's all aftermarket as well. Luggage bags could be added, etc. For heated hand grips...that could be difficult...but you can always get heated gear to wear (gloves, vest...etc).

Was it an 'S' model? Those have clip-on handlebars, making it slightly more of a forward position.
krypt0nian
Banned
(03-01-2009, 04:07 PM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

I'm still alive! You know rain, sleet and snow are one thing on a bike, but rain, sleet and snow + a 25mph cross-wind over bridges is a whole different story. Serious asshole clenching. :lol

Getting drunk in Memphis waiting for the snow to melt. :D


Good to hear a road story in this cold shitty time.


Any opinions on Hawk helmets? What are people thinking about helmets in general? Is it necessary to spend $400 or are some of the sub-$200 lids a good idea?
thesoapster
Member
(03-01-2009, 05:34 PM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by nomster

Was it an 'S' model? Those have clip-on handlebars, making it slightly more of a forward position.

Ah, OK. Didn't know there was that difference between the two :)

Standard one should be quite good, then.

Originally Posted by krypt0nian

Good to hear a road story in this cold shitty time.


Any opinions on Hawk helmets? What are people thinking about helmets in general? Is it necessary to spend $400 or are some of the sub-$200 lids a good idea?

A bit of controversy arose when Motorcyclist published an article with some testing claiming that the current Snell standard is actually not the safest way to make a helmet shell. Snell standards require the helmet shell to be able to sustain two impacts in the same spot during one of their drop tests. A number have called this unrealistic and unreasonable. It is said that because of the stronger shells needed to meet this, more force is transmitted to the rider's head during a crash...therefore it's less safe. Snell responded by saying their standard balances the energy absorption with high shell strength, and further noted a sort of threshold where a head injury would/would not occur. Basically they said if it's below a given measurement, further reducing the impact forces would not add to the safety of the helmet. It is speculated that the new Snell standard in 2010 will call for lower amount of force transferred than in previous standards (keep in mind these are the max allowed...every manufacturer devises their own unique safety bits).

That said, all my helmets have been Shoei, therefore, Snell-certified. I recommend you get a full face helmet for starters. Secondly, know that part of the price hike on Shoei, Arai, Suomy, Shark, AGV, etc is not necessarily due to better safety per se, but rather shell size. Helmets have their shell and some more solid padding inside the shell before you get to the cushioning. These affect the size of the helmet. The shell itself weighs the most. The shell is what gives the helmet its overall size. In manufacturing, it's cheaper to make one or two sizes of anything (this includes helmet shells). So, what a number of the less expensive manufacturers do is make fewer (if more than one) shell sizes to help cut costs. If a larger size, they would then fill in the gap in the helmet with thicker padding. This is not ideal, as the rider would end up with a much bigger, heavier helmet than what suits him or her.

If you are skeptical of the Snell standard alone on a helmet, http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ can be a good resource (or really...a good secondary one even if you buy a Snell-certified helmet). I believe they tend to rely a bit more on rating helmets based on energy absorption rather than shell strength. My helmet, the Shoei X-Eleven (or X-Spirit in other countries) is Snell and DOT certified, and it got 4/5 stars. A handful of helmets got 5/5, one of them being a Shark. If you want Snell, check that websites rating after to see what it got...some will score higher than others.

The best thing you can do is to try on the helmet you're buying. Have someone at the shop help you, as they'll know what to look for. There's a good chance you'll be able to find a helmet that fits you well enough so that you wouldn't feel the need to shell out extra $$. I am a believer, though, that you should wear the best you can get...it's your head...you only have one. If you can get a well-rated helmet safety-wise for less (again, SHARP is a great secondary check), by all means go ahead. Just make sure you're getting something you feel you can fully trust based on the info you have. I bought a second X-Eleven after my accident this past November...I was thrown into the air and smacked the side of my head on the pavement when I landed. The helmet did wonderfully, and the shell/padding is a perfect fit on me...so I re-bought without hesitation.

As a final note, if you decide to not get a helmet that's Snell-certified (assuming you're in the U.S.), I recommend that you not get one that's only DOT-certified...get one that also meets ECE 22.05 (the Euro certification). This is partially due to the manufacturers doing their own certification for DOT, not DOT itself. Check that SHARP link out, also.
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(03-01-2009, 11:24 PM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar
Ah helmets.

Now, whatever helmet you buy they have to meet one of three standards: D.O.T. (used in north america), SNELL (an american private ratings) or ECE 2005 (european standards). (There is also the BSI which is a British standard, but is essentially the same as ECE 2005.)

D.O.T. is not sufficient compared to the other two, as far as I'm concerned.

SNELL works best at withstanding impacts, but I feel ECE 2005 is best.

Why?

Because the ECE standard is meant to diffuse energy, rather than withstand impact. Basically the ECE helmets have "crumple" zones which disperse the energy of an impact of a crash, leaving your helmet unusuable entirely. But one crash in any helmet means buying a new one anyway.

SNELL vs ECE is a personal choice. Neither is a bad thing to make. If you're in the United States, you'll find that most helmets are D.O.T. and SNELL rated rather than D.O.T. and ECE rated. Sharks and Suomy are two helmets available in NA that are ECE rated.


Now getting onto price. Regardless of the price of the helmet, if they meet the standards (either ECE or SNELL) they are safe. Fullstop. But that doesn't mean that higher priced helmets don't offer some great benefits that can contribute to safety.

I wore a ZEUS helmet for the past little while. Decent helmet, rated ECE. However, it was very noisy (even with earplugs), and fogged up like mad. The visor was also a pain in the ass to remove and to put back on.

Recently, I picked up a loverly Shark helmet on clearance (the RSX) and the thing won't fog up even if I'm inside, with the visor down in a cold room (that's pretty amazing). It's also more comfortable to wear and seals sound better. The visor mechanism is much simpler and not a hassle at all to remove and then replace.

The fact that the helmet blocks sound better and has better visual acuity means I'm spending less attention on things like lifting my visor to clear up fogging and I'm not getting worn out or distracted by sound over the ZEUS helmet. Does that make sense?

So in the end get a helmet that you find suits you best. If the safety regulations are met, it isn't a question of safety in a crash. It's about comfort.
Muddimar
Member
(03-01-2009, 11:56 PM)
Muddimar's Avatar
My first bike was a 2003 SV650S metallic orange color. It was pretty much the best beginner bike I could of ever asked for. It handled like a dream, and I could still rip the throttle and beat my friends sport bikes off the line with no problem...of course they would catch up eventually though =p. Comfortable seat, good torque, decent power, lacks the high end (expected v-twin), little rough on the wrists for distance rides (you might wanna raise the bars a bit. Plenty of mods for it. I had the S version, mine also came with a sport package (side fairings). I put a Yoshi pipe on and it had a great sound. I'm not quite sure who was inquiring about it but I would recommend it. Oh, Also got around 50 mpg.
thesoapster
Member
(03-02-2009, 12:41 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Decided to take some pictures today of the bike after doing a light washing (not much had gotten dirty anyway) -





This weekend ended up being trash weather...never getting about 41 degrees (with low 30's windchill...which of course I would be feeling while moving :lol). I only have a little over 100 miles on it. I'm getting used to the feel of the bike very quickly...I've already gotten my "chicken strips" down to ~1/4" on the right (haven't hit enough deep, long left turns I guess) on the rear tire.
krypt0nian
Banned
(03-02-2009, 02:28 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar
I can't thank you two enough for the helmet rundowns. I've had a helmet since I passed my MSF classes last year, but I'm looking into doing it up right.

Research here I come.
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(03-02-2009, 02:38 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by krypt0nian

I can't thank you two enough for the helmet rundowns. I've had a helmet since I passed my MSF classes last year, but I'm looking into doing it up right.

Research here I come.

While this will come off like a lecture: I hope you're also buying good protective gear that isn't a helmet. (Jacket, pants, boots and gloves.) If you want though I'm sure we can give you suggestions.
krypt0nian
Banned
(03-02-2009, 02:40 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

While this will come off like a lecture: I hope you're also buying good protective gear that isn't a helmet. (Jacket, pants, boots and gloves.) If you want though I'm sure we can give you suggestions.

Definitely. I've spent serious cash on that more than anything else in this off season. Just finished up with a rain gear set.

MSF got through to me.

No worries, Dragona! :D
Kabuki Quantum Lover
βαρβαρβαρβαρβαρ
βαρβαρβαρβαρβαρ
(03-02-2009, 04:34 AM)
Kabuki Quantum Lover's Avatar
Speaking of helmets, I just bought my first one:

[IMG]http://i41.************/2qm0zlg.jpg[/IMG]

The HJC CL-15 Mutant MC1. I initially wanted matte black in the same style, but they didn't have any. This one is a little more eye-catching. One more month until my MSF.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-02-2009, 06:50 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by krypt0nian

Good to hear a road story in this cold shitty time.


Any opinions on Hawk helmets? What are people thinking about helmets in general? Is it necessary to spend $400 or are some of the sub-$200 lids a good idea?

Don't worry I will post some insane pics when I get back home. :)

Today REALLY sucked. Made it about 50 miles in 3 hours. Southerns do not know how to drive in the fucking snow. Arkansas doesn't even have snowplows. 12" of unplowed snow on the road, plus idiot drivers = LOL.

I also have to take back everything bad I've ever said about harley dudes. OK well this one harley dude we meet today is my new hero. He saw us looking rather distressed at a gas station and offered to load our bikes in the back of pickup truck and haul our happy asses over the ice back to Missouri where we have modern convienences like fucking snowplows!

Dude was awesome. He couldn't resist a few jabs about how long does it take to get parts from Berlin for our Nazi bikes, but all in all a great dude. :lol
daw840
Member
(03-02-2009, 03:42 PM)
daw840's Avatar
I paid for my new motorcycle this weekend, but unfortunately mother nature decided to dump a bunch of snow on saturday preventing me from riding it home. So I should be able to pick it up either tuesday or wednesday this week. Here is a pic, this is not my bike, but mine looks exactly like this one



This weekend I picked up a Bell Star helmet that lists for $550. I bought it, brand new, for $200. I purchased it at a closeout store that sells last years model. I think it matches my bike very well.



I also have a blue, fully armored, and vented leather jacket and gloves. I think I'm ready to learn how to ride this bad boy!!
Ashhong
Member
(03-02-2009, 04:12 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar
completely forgot about this thread. i need some advice so ill put a lil timeline

april 2008: took my MSF course
may 2008: got my license
june 2008: put a deposit down on a 2008 ninja 250r
july 2008: picked up my new bike!

[IMG]http://i42.************/2dvissz.jpg[/IMG]

man it was so sexy, i could not stop looking at it. quick impressions...if i had a choice i would not have bought it new. i tried to follow the break in recommendations but that only let me go at like 40mph. bike was definitely nimble and easy to maneuver though, although i kind of sucked.

mid-july 2008: got in a car accident where i ended up rolling the car off the freeway. one thing led to another and i decided to sell my bike.
now: everytime i look at a bike i miss it. im thinking of getting another one eventually.

the problem is, i was never fully comfortable on my 250, i barely got like 60 miles on it. but i did feel that it was too weak. counter-steering uturns were my worst enemies. should i get another 250, used this time, and practice first? ive been looking at like 02 r6's and theyre only like 2-3k on craigs, which is nice.
daw840
Member
(03-02-2009, 04:23 PM)
daw840's Avatar

counter-steering uturns were my worst enemies

Can someone please explain what exactly this is?

To answer your question, yes you should get another bike. Now is the perfect time too. Right before the warm season.
Ashhong
Member
(03-02-2009, 04:27 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar
when doing uturns from a stop, say at a light, ur going slow speeds. so what you do is you keep your body upright, and turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go and also lean it a little bit. im pretty sure thats the right way, but i was just never comfortable with it. helps a lot to use the rear brake though, something i always forgot.

and i know i should get another bike (although probably wont happen this year). im wondering if i should look into another 250 or a r6/gsxr
garath
Member
(03-02-2009, 04:29 PM)
garath's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ashhong

completely forgot about this thread. i need some advice so ill put a lil timeline

april 2008: took my MSF course
may 2008: got my license
june 2008: put a deposit down on a 2008 ninja 250r
july 2008: picked up my new bike!

[IMG]http://i42.************/2dvissz.jpg[/IMG]

man it was so sexy, i could not stop looking at it. quick impressions...if i had a choice i would not have bought it new. i tried to follow the break in recommendations but that only let me go at like 40mph. bike was definitely nimble and easy to maneuver though, although i kind of sucked.

mid-july 2008: got in a car accident where i ended up rolling the car off the freeway. one thing led to another and i decided to sell my bike.
now: everytime i look at a bike i miss it. im thinking of getting another one eventually.

the problem is, i was never fully comfortable on my 250, i barely got like 60 miles on it. but i did feel that it was too weak. counter-steering uturns were my worst enemies. should i get another 250, used this time, and practice first? ive been looking at like 02 r6's and theyre only like 2-3k on craigs, which is nice.

I would absolutely get another 250 or at the least another more 'newbie' friendly bike (like a ninja ex500, ninja 650r, suzuki sv650) - used - and practice. The MSF is only the starting point, you need practice. An r6 would be a bit too much bike for you imo, especially if you were having issues countersteering on a 250. 60 miles is nothing. You should put 3-5k in the seat before thinking about a step up.

It's better to push the limits of the bike than have the bike push your limits (though it will be quite some time before you push the limits even on the 250).

To put it in perspective, I bought a Ninja ex500 for my first bike (at 6'3" I felt uncomfortable on the 250 lol), I rode it for 2 years before I purchased my next bike. Hell, an ex500 even makes a good track bike. I see a ton of them on trackdays. They are nimble, lean like crazy and have quite a bit of pickup for a small bike. They aren't the sleekest or sexiest things but I'm of the opinion you'll be a better rider in the end for it.
Ashhong
Member
(03-02-2009, 04:37 PM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by garath

I would absolutely get another 250 or at the least another more 'newbie' friendly bike (like a ninja ex500, ninja 650r, suzuki sv650) - used - and practice. The MSF is only the starting point, you need practice. An r6 would be a bit too much bike for you imo, especially if you were having issues countersteering on a 250. 60 miles is nothing. You should put 3-5k in the seat before thinking about a step up.

It's better to push the limits of the bike than have the bike push your limits (though it will be quite some time before you push the limits even on the 250).

To put it in perspective, I bought a Ninja ex500 for my first bike (at 6'3" I felt uncomfortable on the 250 lol), I rode it for 2 years before I purchased my next bike. Hell, an ex500 even makes a good track bike. I see a ton of them on trackdays. They are nimble, lean like crazy and have quite a bit of pickup for a small bike. They aren't the sleekest or sexiest things but I'm of the opinion you'll be a better rider in the end for it.

sounds good, and also probably what ill do. i dont want to sound shallow or retarded, but i really dont want to ride on the old 250 body style :lol so ill have to pray the 08s go down within the next year. that or look into the ex500
thesoapster
Member
(03-03-2009, 04:09 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

Can someone please explain what exactly this is?

Counter-steering? It's the effect that occurs when going somewhere around 15mph and faster. If you get going fast enough on a bicycle it will work, too. When counter-steering is in effect, you turn the handle bars the opposite direction in which you want to lean/turn. So, if you push on the right handlebar (turning them left), you go right. Push right, go right...push left, go left. Think of it like standing up a hardcover book on end. You have to push left at the bottom for it to fall right, or push right to fall left.

It becomes second nature pretty quickly.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-03-2009, 06:10 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Counter-steering? It's the effect that occurs when going somewhere around 15mph and faster. If you get going fast enough on a bicycle it will work, too. When counter-steering is in effect, you turn the handle bars the opposite direction in which you want to lean/turn. So, if you push on the right handlebar (turning them left), you go right. Push right, go right...push left, go left. Think of it like standing up a hardcover book on end. You have to push left at the bottom for it to fall right, or push right to fall left.

It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Yeah at low speeds I find its best to counter steer and lean the bike underneath you. You need to keep your center of gravity vertical over the bike during a low speed turn. You should only turn the wheel towards the way you want to go when parking/shuffling with your feet.

I made it back. :D 500 of the coldest, nastiest shit I have ever rode through. But I would do it all again. Actually I can't wait till next weekend it will be 70 degrees! :D

One pic then I am going to bed.

[IMG]http://i39.************/b7yoar.jpg[/IMG]

:lol
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-03-2009, 09:25 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Decided to take some pictures today of the bike after doing a light washing (not much had gotten dirty anyway) -

hotness

This weekend ended up being trash weather...never getting about 41 degrees (with low 30's windchill...which of course I would be feeling while moving :lol). I only have a little over 100 miles on it. I'm getting used to the feel of the bike very quickly...I've already gotten my "chicken strips" down to ~1/4" on the right (haven't hit enough deep, long left turns I guess) on the rear tire.

Hmm. I wasn't a fan of the new R1 from other shots but it is growing on me. Really love the tail. :D
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-03-2009, 09:29 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
Pics. It was 32 degrees here but we figured if we headed south it would warm up right? Right? WRONG! :cry



Things starting to get ugly at the Missouri/Arkansas line.



We figured if we could just make it to Memphis everything would be cool. It wasn't! Airbox was starting to clog with ice and our locks had frozen up. Little of the old WD-40 did the trick.



We decided to camp out at the Super-8 instead of trying to find a suitable place outside of town that night.



Good thing, this is what we woke up too...



Brushed off the snow, let the bikes warm up in the sun a bit.



Heading back north. Drivers spinning like crazy. We inched along the shoulder to the next major exit and hung out at the gas station.



Finally found a nice harley dude with and empty pickup heading our direction to take us over the frozen wasteland. Whew. Next weekend it's supposed to be 75. :rofl
awilliams213
Member
(03-03-2009, 09:54 PM)
awilliams213's Avatar
Flo_Evans awesome story and pics to match makes me feel like a wuss waiting a while longer before taking the bike out for the year.
daw840
Member
(03-03-2009, 09:56 PM)
daw840's Avatar
Flo,

Are you in the KC area?
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-03-2009, 10:03 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

Flo,

Are you in the KC area?

No St. Louis. I was thinking maybe once it warms up some more we could organize a huge GAF rally. Like we just go around the country and if we are in your city come out and ride with us until you have to go back home. :D
daw840
Member
(03-03-2009, 10:04 PM)
daw840's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

No St. Louis. I was thinking maybe once it warms up some more we could organize a huge GAF rally. Like we just go around the country and if we are in your city come out and ride with us until you have to go back home. :D

Hell yeah, that would be fucking awesome. I wouldn't mind a road trip down I-70 this summer sometime. We just need to see who else is in the MO/KS/IL area.
krypt0nian
Banned
(03-04-2009, 12:31 AM)
krypt0nian's Avatar
HOLYHOLYSHIT@ those pics! :lol


You are a more hardcore guy than I will ever be. And I'm STILL jealous you got to ride!
Ashhong
Member
(03-04-2009, 12:37 AM)
Ashhong's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Counter-steering? It's the effect that occurs when going somewhere around 15mph and faster. If you get going fast enough on a bicycle it will work, too. When counter-steering is in effect, you turn the handle bars the opposite direction in which you want to lean/turn. So, if you push on the right handlebar (turning them left), you go right. Push right, go right...push left, go left. Think of it like standing up a hardcover book on end. You have to push left at the bottom for it to fall right, or push right to fall left.

It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

i just realized i put counter-steering when talking about uturns :lol i meant counter-weight obviously haha and thought thats wat he was asking about. but yea, counter steering is awesome
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-04-2009, 12:51 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
Probably would not have made it without proper gear. I just bought this new jacket (last years model closeout for $100!) :D



And a new neck gaiter:



Had a full fleece layer and long underwear under that. I also wore my ski gloves instead of my regular riding gloves. :lol
thesoapster
Member
(03-05-2009, 12:01 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
BMW crazies :lol

BMWs are definitely the best tools for that kind of job :D

I went for a short ride in 40 degree weather today (couldn't wait for the weekend) with Under Armour and all. I still got a bit chilly...but it was certainly worth it. Will be in the 70s this weekend...oh yes. I'm taking advantage of that.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-05-2009, 12:02 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

BMW crazies :lol

BMWs are definitely the best tools for that kind of job :D

I went for a short ride in 40 degree weather today (couldn't wait for the weekend) with Under Armour and all. I still got a bit chilly...but it was certainly worth it. Will be in the 70s this weekend...oh yes. I'm taking advantage of that.

I have a feeling the roads are going to be packed with bikes this weekend. :D

Oh and my brothers bike is a KTM 640 adventure.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-06-2009, 09:46 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
You have no excuses!

[IMG]http://i39.************/2dni90.jpg[/IMG]

(Unless you live in the north-west I guess :lol )

Get out there and ride your Go-Devil! And take some pics! :D
daw840
Member
(03-06-2009, 09:47 PM)
daw840's Avatar
I just picked up my first bike last night!!!!!


Now it looks like rain is on the way!













fuck me :/
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-06-2009, 10:01 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

I just picked up my first bike last night!!!!!


Now it looks like rain is on the way!













fuck me :/

Yeah it looks like a small band that will hit us tomorrow. After Memphis I don't give a shit, I say bring it god!
daw840
Member
(03-06-2009, 10:03 PM)
daw840's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

Yeah it looks like a small band that will hit us tomorrow. After Memphis I don't give a shit, I say bring it god!


Actually, I was just looking at the radar and it appears that the rain will just miss KC. FUCK YEAH!
thesoapster
Member
(03-07-2009, 05:36 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
I more than doubled my mileage today doing three separate rides. Oh good times. This weekend is awesome.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-07-2009, 06:12 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

I more than doubled my mileage today doing three separate rides. Oh good times. This weekend is awesome.

Are you treating her real nice during the break in period? :D

I just hit 2000 miles on mine. I was never really easy on her but she just loves abuse! :lol

I am really diggin' the single cylinder. I was worried going from twin to a single but I love it. It can lug along at idle and has a nice fat torque curve. 1st and 2nd gear wheelies no problem. And I get 50 MPG while I ride around like a banshee. I can crack triple digits on the speedo if I really want to but this bike is not about that. Can't wait till I add a pipe. :lol

A thing of beauty in it's simplicity.

[IMG]http://i41.************/2kg0no.jpg[/IMG]

:D
thesoapster
Member
(03-07-2009, 06:56 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Sounds pretty fun. And yes, I'm flogging within the limits. 600 mile period says I cannot go above 6.9k, 600-1000 not above something like 8.3k...after that I'm in the clear to go up to 13,750. Thing is you can go above those limits...you're just not supposed to let it stay up there. I've been doing a good bit of accelerating all they way up to about 7k then letting off and letting it drop to about 2.5k or so...gotta let those internals polish themselves :D

My fuel economy is probably on average in the mid 30's. If I was on highways for travel (booooring) I'd get in the 40's. Backroads (accelerating up and down up and down, brake, turn, throttle, brake, dive, lean hard...throttle.......etc) are not the best on fuel economy.

My brother and I were on the highway going about 60mph. He pulled up next to me on his Aprilia 750 Shiver (V-Twin)...we both did a 6th gear roll-on :lol. <3 this bike's torque and readiness.

Fun day for sure...time to do it all again tomorrow :lol . Tomorrow, though, I'll have my onboard camera turned on. Will have to make a short cut of various parts and throw that up on YouTube (something not too illegal lolz)

edit: And yeah...that is beautifully simple. Love how it just has one cylinder. Must have a hell of a kick.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(03-07-2009, 07:25 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Sounds pretty fun. And yes, I'm flogging within the limits. 600 mile period says I cannot go above 6.9k, 600-1000 not above something like 8.3k...after that I'm in the clear to go up to 13,750. Thing is you can go above those limits...you're just not supposed to let it stay up there. I've been doing a good bit of accelerating all they way up to about 7k then letting off and letting it drop to about 2.5k or so...gotta let those internals polish themselves :D

My fuel economy is probably on average in the mid 30's. If I was on highways for travel (booooring) I'd get in the 40's. Backroads (accelerating up and down up and down, brake, turn, throttle, brake, dive, lean hard...throttle.......etc) are not the best on fuel economy.

My brother and I were on the highway going about 60mph. He pulled up next to me on his Aprilia 750 Shiver (V-Twin)...we both did a 6th gear roll-on :lol. <3 this bike's torque and readiness.

Fun day for sure...time to do it all again tomorrow :lol . Tomorrow, though, I'll have my onboard camera turned on. Will have to make a short cut of various parts and throw that up on YouTube (something not too illegal lolz)

edit: And yeah...that is beautifully simple. Love how it just has one cylinder. Must have a hell of a kick.

That to me is just crazy. I would get myself in WAY to much trouble with that kind of power a wrist flick away.

I need to get a helmet cam. But again I would probably go nuts trying to make a cool video and stuff it. :lol

I can't find anyone to ride with tomorrow :(

I could just go out solo but being stuck in the middle of the woods with no buddy is no fun. Considering riding 125 miles to meet up with these dudes at 8AM tomrrow...
thesoapster
Member
(03-07-2009, 05:22 PM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Well, yeah. There is some self-restraint involved at times. Riding this bike has confirmed to me, though, that I really need to check out the track...I'm pretty sure I'll be hooked.

edit: and we really didn't end up going too fast because of my RPM limit...6th gear up to red line would take you all the way to the limited 300KPH...a speed I may never actually touch on that bike (including on the track...maybe if there was a long enough straightaway)
Diablohead
Member
(03-07-2009, 05:40 PM)
Diablohead's Avatar
This thread reminds me that I want to buy a bike in the future, I own a car but never really use it and I taken a fancy to bikes in the last few years quite a lot, i'd want to buy something which looks good but not overpowering, but also not sounding like a damn scooter you hear chavs ride around on at 2am :lol

Can you still buy 400cc bikes which look good? last time I saw one at that power it was some 1980's model a friend's dad owned.
thesoapster
Member
(03-07-2009, 05:51 PM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diablohead

This thread reminds me that I want to buy a bike in the future, I own a car but never really use it and I taken a fancy to bikes in the last few years quite a lot, i'd want to buy something which looks good but not overpowering, but also not sounding like a damn scooter you hear chavs ride around on at 2am :lol

Can you still buy 400cc bikes which look good? last time I saw one at that power it was some 1980's model a friend's dad owned.

In the US? There are a few 250s (Ninja 250R being the most popular), some 500s, a few 650s...etc. Your best bet is to take the MSF BRC (basic rider course) to make sure you're cool with bikes and want to move on to buying one. Then I'd get a used bike. Riders start at different places...can't go wrong with a 250 or a 500 in my book...beyond that I say it depends on the individual. I've seen some 400cc dual sport bikes...not necessarily dedicated street bikes, though. I'm not sure what style you're looking for, as the Ninja has a more sporty look (still somewhat upright seating position), but Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have some more classic standard-type bikes also (not really fitting into the cruiser category).

Also keep in mind a bike made today vs 1980 will differ power-wise. You could probably get along just fine on a Ninja 250R (if that's your style...and it's the most powerful 250 out there AFAIK).

Thread Tools