• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

daw840
Member
(02-16-2009, 05:12 PM)
daw840's Avatar
I swear to everything that is holy, this year I will be taking the MSF and buying a used V-Star 1100. I swear it.
Fallout-NL
Member
(02-16-2009, 05:15 PM)
Fallout-NL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

Yes yes yes fuck yes. :D

My buddy is getting his 996 race prepped to take on the track this summer. I'll have to get some pics when he gets the fairing and the tank on it.

And yes I am jealous. You could always ship it over here until it thaws out over there :P

Hehe, it's fine right now in the garage :D. Every now and then I walk over there and stare at it for a while. It's so beautiful.


But it'll be a while before I take it to a track or something. I've never ridden anything like this before. I'm going from a 620 monster (64 hp) to a 130 hp 998, quite a leap. So I'll be taking it very easy for starters.
Choke on the Magic
Banned
(02-16-2009, 05:15 PM)
Choke on the Magic's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

True, any bike can get you in allot of trouble if you don't respect it. The SV may be too much for a total n00b but it's at least a more sensible starter than the track ready GSXR or CBR-RR :D

The monster 750 was my 1st bike (I had ridden other peoples and various scooters before buying one) It can get the front wheel up but you really have to try. I swapped with my friend who rode a 900ss one ride and holy shit... I am glad I did not start on that bike! Way aggressive seating position, TONS more HP and stiff as a board suspension would of probably gotten me killed trying to learn on that. He eventually stopped riding cause the bike was just too much for him.


Cheeto, I am not much a fan of choppers no. I do like some "classic" bikes such as the triumph bonneville



But sport tourers supersport and more recently DS bikes are doing it for me :D

Bonneville is pretty much my favorite bike ever.:D
Nander
Member
(02-16-2009, 05:20 PM)
Nander's Avatar
I ride a 1986 Yamaha SRX600.

Crappy mobile phone picture:


I can't wait for summer so I can take it out on the road again.
krypt0nian
Banned
(02-16-2009, 05:22 PM)
krypt0nian's Avatar
Here in the Chicago burbs, we've had 2 days of over 60 degree weather and I was able to get out for one of them.

Sooooo gooood!
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-16-2009, 05:33 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
Getting prepped for an extended weekend trip.

[IMG]http://i42.************/21kic8k.jpg[/IMG]

Got some new tank panniers and a dry bag for the rear rack. Combined with my bros hard cases we should have enough room for 3-4 days on the open road. Leaving in 2 weeks! I am getting pumped. We are pretty much going to head south and camp along the way, sticking to back roads and gravel as much as possible. :D
Anton Sugar
Member
(02-16-2009, 05:59 PM)
Anton Sugar's Avatar
Okay guys, I'm considering taking the motorcycle plunge. I haven't taken the lessons or anything, but I was wondering if you all could recommend a few resources, as far as great places to look for bikes for sale, tips, equipment, DIY, etc. I like to research something as much as possible before I invest in it.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know of any decently priced bikes that sport the more utilitarian/"classic" look? I am in love with this Bonneville and prefer the "classic" look to anything else:



Thanks guys, I'm hopefully planning on sealing the deal around May/June. I appreciate any help!
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-16-2009, 06:14 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Snrub

Okay guys, I'm considering taking the motorcycle plunge. I haven't taken the lessons or anything, but I was wondering if you all could recommend a few resources, as far as great places to look for bikes for sale, tips, equipment, DIY, etc. I like to research something as much as possible before I invest in it.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know of any decently priced bikes that sport the more utilitarian/"classic" look? I am in love with this Bonneville and prefer the "classic" look to anything else:



Thanks guys, I'm hopefully planning on sealing the deal around May/June. I appreciate any help!


http://www.msf-usa.org/
http://www.msf-usa.org/
http://www.msf-usa.org/

All of the big japanese companies make classic styled bikes at good prices.

http://www.cycletrader.com/ is one of the largest online places to find used bikes. also you can try ebay and craigslist.
daw840
Member
(02-16-2009, 06:18 PM)
daw840's Avatar
I have a question about safety gear. I have an abnormally large head. I have tried all sorts of full faced helmets and none of them ever fit. Will I have to get a custom helmet? If so, how fucking expensive is that going to be?
garath
Member
(02-16-2009, 06:23 PM)
garath's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mr. Snrub

Okay guys, I'm considering taking the motorcycle plunge. I haven't taken the lessons or anything, but I was wondering if you all could recommend a few resources, as far as great places to look for bikes for sale, tips, equipment, DIY, etc. I like to research something as much as possible before I invest in it.

And while I'm at it, does anyone know of any decently priced bikes that sport the more utilitarian/"classic" look? I am in love with this Bonneville and prefer the "classic" look to anything else:



Thanks guys, I'm hopefully planning on sealing the deal around May/June. I appreciate any help!

What Flo_Evans said about the MSF. That should be your first stop.

I buy most of my gear either locally at Cyclegear (when they have good sales) or online via www.newenough.com (is actually new gear.. just great prices).
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-16-2009, 06:24 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

I have a question about safety gear. I have an abnormally large head. I have tried all sorts of full faced helmets and none of them ever fit. Will I have to get a custom helmet? If so, how fucking expensive is that going to be?

Have you ever tried a flip open one?



I doubt you would need a custom made one, but you may have to order a larger size online. Unless you are the elephant man or something.
garath
Member
(02-16-2009, 06:25 PM)
garath's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

I have a question about safety gear. I have an abnormally large head. I have tried all sorts of full faced helmets and none of them ever fit. Will I have to get a custom helmet? If so, how fucking expensive is that going to be?

The higher end helmets (Shoei, Arai, etc) all have removable padding. You can replace them with thinner padding to accomodate a larger head. Best thing to do is go to a local place that sells helmets and try a few on with all the padding removed except for the very top of the helmet. Once you find a shell that fits, you can find the padding that works for you. I believe some lines even have XXL shells (might not be stocked normally).
daw840
Member
(02-16-2009, 06:29 PM)
daw840's Avatar

Originally Posted by garath

The higher end helmets (Shoei, Arai, etc) all have removable padding. You can replace them with thinner padding to accomodate a larger head. Best thing to do is go to a local place that sells helmets and try a few on with all the padding removed except for the very top of the helmet. Once you find a shell that fits, you can find the padding that works for you. I believe some lines even have XXL shells (might not be stocked normally).

Thanks, I have just tried a few of my friends helmets and they never fit. But their baseball hats fit me ok. It's the chin that I have a problem with. I have about a 1/2 Leno chin:lol :lol
garath
Member
(02-16-2009, 07:29 PM)
garath's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

Thanks, I have just tried a few of my friends helmets and they never fit. But their baseball hats fit me ok. It's the chin that I have a problem with. I have about a 1/2 Leno chin:lol :lol

Ah yeah, you'll probably just need a thinner cheekpad but a L or XL shell would fit. Local dealers that carry Arai or Shoei are required to have knowledge in fit and options so just visiting one would be a good start.
thesoapster
Member
(02-16-2009, 07:54 PM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Also, when the time comes and you think you've found a helmet that is a good fit...wear it for a while in the shop. Make sure you don't get any pressure points. It's best to get a helmet that has the snuggest fit while still being comfortable.
Nander
Member
(02-20-2009, 11:33 AM)
Nander's Avatar
What are some good web shops for motorcycle gear?
garath
Member
(02-20-2009, 05:33 PM)
garath's Avatar

Originally Posted by Nander

What are some good web shops for motorcycle gear?

www.newenough.com (my favorite, bought 80% of my gear from here)
www.cyclegear.com
www.motorcycle-superstore.com
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-20-2009, 09:32 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar
I found a pic of my 1st bike. A honda rebel 250 with custom glitter flag tank! Well it wasn't really mine, it was more of a community bike. The thing had bent forks, fucked up brakes, and a carb that would clog in days (probably due to the fact we were running it with no fuel filter to increase its miserable performance) :lol

[IMG]http://i39.************/2jafcl5.jpg[/IMG]

But hot damn if this wasn't the coolest thing ever! Can't believe I never killed myself learning to ride on that POS. :D
thesoapster
Member
(02-21-2009, 03:12 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

I found a pic of my 1st bike. A honda rebel 250 with custom glitter flag tank! Well it wasn't really mine, it was more of a community bike. The thing had bent forks, fucked up brakes, and a carb that would clog in days (probably due to the fact we were running it with no fuel filter to increase its miserable performance) :lol

(pic)

But hot damn if this wasn't the coolest thing ever! Can't believe I never killed myself learning to ride on that POS. :D

:D

My first bike - Honda CBR600RR (I took the MSF BRC first, though)



Originally Posted by garath

www.newenough.com (my favorite, bought 80% of my gear from here)
www.cyclegear.com
www.motorcycle-superstore.com

Also, if you ride sport...http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok

And http://www.kneedraggers.com/ can have some good deals from time to time.

Make sure wherever you order online that you always check their return/exchange policy before ordering.
daw840
Member
(02-22-2009, 01:01 AM)
daw840's Avatar
Alright. I wanted to get 2-wheel GAF's opinion on a purchase I am contemplating for a starter bike.

1984 Honda Nighthawk S 700cc with about 54,000 miles.
XL Helmet (Hopefully this fits me, if not I will look elsewhere and the price will be adjusted)
Armored and vented jacket ($280 new)

All of this for $1700
The guy I am thinking about buying this from is a good friend and I know that the bike has been very well taken care of. It will need a new back tire soon.

What do you think?
Muddimar
Member
(02-22-2009, 01:55 AM)
Muddimar's Avatar
[IMG]http://i44.************/zxtc7k.jpg[/IMG]

This is my new bike. I used to have an 2003 SV650S and sold it to a friend of mine for a pretty good price. This is an old picture, it no longer has the shitty orange tires lol. The weren't the greatest for cornering n such. I currently have some Diablo Rossos on it and they are wonderful tires, I would recommend them to anyone.

Edit: Shit... This is the 2005 model CBR 1000 repsol replica.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-26-2009, 11:00 PM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

Alright. I wanted to get 2-wheel GAF's opinion on a purchase I am contemplating for a starter bike.

1984 Honda Nighthawk S 700cc with about 54,000 miles.
XL Helmet (Hopefully this fits me, if not I will look elsewhere and the price will be adjusted)
Armored and vented jacket ($280 new)

All of this for $1700
The guy I am thinking about buying this from is a good friend and I know that the bike has been very well taken care of. It will need a new back tire soon.

What do you think?

Doesn't sound to bad, has he done anything mechanically to the bike? Rebuilt the engine or forks? Or just changed the fluid regularly?

I am getting ready to leave for my epic journey into the unknown and it looks like the weather is turning to shit. :( My bro wants to rent a trailer and tow the bikes around but I think this is crap. So if I never post again, you guys know what happened! :lol
daw840
Member
(02-26-2009, 11:03 PM)
daw840's Avatar

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

Doesn't sound to bad, has he done anything mechanically to the bike? Rebuilt the engine or forks? Or just changed the fluid regularly?

I am getting ready to leave for my epic journey into the unknown and it looks like the weather is turning to shit. :( My bro wants to rent a trailer and tow the bikes around but I think this is crap. So if I never post again, you guys know what happened! :lol

Well, I am buying it tomorrow. Nothing has been rebuilt on the bike, but all the service and maintenance records are up to date and available. The helmet doesn't fit me so I am going to get one tomorrow as well. I will post pics this weekend if the weather doesn't completely crap out on me.
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-27-2009, 12:03 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar
Only thing is that ti's a 700cc bike, and if it's your first bike that is a bit high. You'll pay more for insurance. Good thing though is that the Nighthawks are good bikes to learn on. Just be exceptionally careful starting out. And take a motorcycle safety course!

I've been looking at new bikes lately because while I love my Shadow there is a few safety features of new bikes I'd like to have: mainly ABS. There was the most beautiful Triumph Scrambler on sale for a great price but alas no money right now.

Was also thinking of a 1250 Bandit. Anyone here ride one? I've sat on one, and while it's a little different from my Shadow in seating position, it was fairly comfortable.
The Chef
Member
(02-27-2009, 01:31 AM)
The Chef's Avatar
Anybody use their bike for a hefty work commute?
Like 80-100 miles a day?

Ive been wanting to get a bike for a long time. I only work 3 days a week now but its about 50 miles each way. Not horrible - takes me an hour exactly to get to work. Just wondering how safe/practical it would be to do this drive on a bike.
SnakeswithLasers
If I want to pay a black man $20 to suck him off in a public bathroom, by God and Country, I SHALL.
(02-27-2009, 01:35 AM)
SnakeswithLasers's Avatar

Originally Posted by daw840

I swear to everything that is holy, this year I will be taking the MSF and buying a used V-Star 1100. I swear it.

I'm so with you on this. I needed to to it last year, but I put it off. I need to do it this year...and I will! (But I'm getting a ninja 250 to start on =P)
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-27-2009, 01:35 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Chef

Anybody use their bike for a hefty work commute?
Like 80-100 miles a day?

Ive been wanting to get a bike for a long time. I only work 3 days a week now but its about 50 miles each way. Not horrible - takes me an hour exactly to get to work. Just wondering how safe/practical it would be to do this drive on a bike.

Depends more on the roads, not the time on them. For instance I hate driving on a multilane (4+) motorway because people are generally idiots, and keeping track of all the traffic is something I'm not always comfortable with (even in a car).

I regularly take two hour trips on the bike though.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-27-2009, 01:42 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by The Chef

Anybody use their bike for a hefty work commute?
Like 80-100 miles a day?

Ive been wanting to get a bike for a long time. I only work 3 days a week now but its about 50 miles each way. Not horrible - takes me an hour exactly to get to work. Just wondering how safe/practical it would be to do this drive on a bike.

It's doable, but I wouldn't really want to. Well sort of depends on the road. I would definitely want a touring style bike for this long of a daily ride!

Like this:

WickedAngel
Banned
(02-27-2009, 01:44 AM)
I just put some Pirelli Diablo Stadas on my R6...

Hot damn. I never knew what I was missing on those awful Bridgestone tires; the bike is so much more maneuverable than I thought it could be.
Flo_Evans
Banned
(02-27-2009, 01:51 AM)
Flo_Evans's Avatar

Originally Posted by WickedAngel

I just put some Pirelli Diablo Stadas on my R6...

Hot damn. I never knew what I was missing on those awful Bridgestone tires; the bike is so much more maneuverable than I thought it could be.

New rubber is always fun. :D
WickedAngel
Banned
(02-27-2009, 01:53 AM)

Originally Posted by Flo_Evans

New rubber is always fun. :D

I'm a believer now. These things just dive into turns.
Scarecrow
Member
(02-27-2009, 02:43 AM)
Scarecrow's Avatar
I got my Honda Shadow mid-last year. Being a new rider, I really dig it. However, as I live in Florida, I'm petrified of trying to ride it in the rain.

thesoapster
Member
(02-27-2009, 05:23 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Picked up my '09 R1 a couple days ago. It looks like this:



I don't have any pictures yet myself...every moment where I've had free time and it's sunny out I've been riding it :lol

Amazing power (first liter bike)...so much bottom end grunt. It reminds me in a number of ways of a V-Twin. The sound is pretty amazing, too (uses a firing order like the M1 MotoGP bike, so it sounds a bit like a sporty twin, v-four, and a V8). It has great handling...it seems to just fit me well. I'll have some onboard video in the coming weeks that I'll post up here.
Ghostmate
Junior Member
(02-27-2009, 11:25 AM)
Ghostmate's Avatar
[IMG]http://s5.************/2zfikvn.jpg[/IMG]

My sweetheart, a 1999 Yamaha YZF-600R. She's a fixer-upper. :D
garath
Member
(02-27-2009, 04:36 PM)
garath's Avatar
It's ALMOST warm enough and the roads clean enough to attempt to pull my bike out. I've been itching to take a ride for ages. Winters suck.

I bought my new bike halfway through last season so it'll be nice to get a full season in on it.
ZeroCypher
Member
(02-27-2009, 05:13 PM)
ZeroCypher's Avatar
Sadly I have to sell my bike... As much as I love riding especially with this upcoming weather. Anyone in the DFW area interested? 03 R6 blue on black
Outlaw
Banned
(02-27-2009, 05:50 PM)
Muddimar
Member
(02-27-2009, 05:52 PM)
Muddimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by WickedAngel

I just put some Pirelli Diablo Stadas on my R6...

Hot damn. I never knew what I was missing on those awful Bridgestone tires; the bike is so much more maneuverable than I thought it could be.

You should give the Diablo Rossos or Corsas a try when you run through those Stradas. Those are really good tires though, had a pair of Stradas on my SV650S, great in rain and were great for cornering.
Cheeto
Member
(02-27-2009, 07:00 PM)
Cheeto's Avatar

Originally Posted by Outlaw

Is that the dodge with the Viper motor!? :lol
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-27-2009, 07:10 PM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar
So no opinions on the Bandit 1250 here?





What about Honda's new "Adventure-touring" models?
thesoapster
Member
(02-28-2009, 02:00 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

So no opinions on the Bandit 1250 here?

http://xs136.xs.to/xs136/09095/bandit914.jpg

http://xs136.xs.to/xs136/09095/banditred375.jpg

What about Honda's new "Adventure-touring" models?

Bandit is a solid bike from what I've heard, but I've never ridden one. Not sure about Honda "adventure-touring" bikes...are they something new coming out? I didn't see any on their U.S. site. I saw the usual Goldwing and ST.

Oh, and speaking of new Honda stuff...I saw this bike at the DC International Motorcycle Show. It looks like a shark or something. It has styling so bizarre and ugly...I'm starting to think of it as the PT Cruiser of motorcycles.

Click for the horror
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-28-2009, 02:11 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Bandit is a solid bike from what I've heard, but I've never ridden one. Not sure about Honda "adventure-touring" bikes...are they something new coming out? I didn't see any on their U.S. site. I saw the usual Goldwing and ST.

Oh, and speaking of new Honda stuff...I saw this bike at the DC International Motorcycle Show. It looks like a shark or something. It has styling so bizarre and ugly...I'm starting to think of it as the PT Cruiser of motorcycles.

Click for the horror

Ewww automatic? EWWWWW.

As for the adventure bikes, I'm talking about ones like the Varadero:



Supposed to be very comfortable on or offroad for long periods of time, although it's designed to primarily be a street bike.
thesoapster
Member
(02-28-2009, 05:43 AM)
thesoapster's Avatar
Hmm. I found some written stuff on them from a few years ago, but nothing current. I'm guessing it's not being made anymore?

BMW has a very good reputation for the dual sport bikes (that are primarily street).
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-28-2009, 05:59 AM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar
Yeah but BMW bikes require more dosh. :)
Damaged
Member
(02-28-2009, 10:27 AM)
Damaged's Avatar
My current beastie:

[IMG]http://i39.************/k9f61j.jpg[/IMG]

There is something up with the electrics at the mo and she just wont start, ive rewired the starter motor with new brushes and that is working and chucked a new battery in as my old one was reading a little low even on full charge yet there are still a few relays clicking in whenever it turns over. Ive even tried a new starter relay with no joy :(

On the plus side when it does work its about the most fun ive ever had on two wheels and the akrapovik exhaust is stunning, with the road legal baffle out it sounds amazing and it even ended up setting my number plate on fire! lol

[IMG]http://i40.************/x53tkx.jpg[/IMG]
thesoapster
Member
(02-28-2009, 05:03 PM)
thesoapster's Avatar

Originally Posted by Damaged

On the plus side when it does work its about the most fun ive ever had on two wheels and the akrapovik exhaust is stunning, with the road legal baffle out it sounds amazing and it even ended up setting my number plate on fire! lol

http://i40.************/x53tkx.jpg

:lol nice

Originally Posted by Dragona Akehi

Yeah but BMW bikes require more dosh. :)

If you're looking for something that's all around good (and will go off-road) for lower price...the Kawasaki Versys is supposed to be great. Certainly should've have any engine issues as they've been using that parallel twin 650 for a while now.

edit: actually, I guess it's not really "sanctioned" as an off-road bike, despite named Versys for versatile. A number of manufacturers have more-street-than-off-road dual sport bikes (with dual sport tires of course). Might be worth checking out Suzuki's V-Strom or the Kawasaki KLR 650. I've heard good things about the 'Zook.
Muddimar
Member
(02-28-2009, 05:31 PM)
Muddimar's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

Picked up my '09 R1 a couple days ago. It looks like this:



I don't have any pictures yet myself...every moment where I've had free time and it's sunny out I've been riding it :lol

Amazing power (first liter bike)...so much bottom end grunt. It reminds me in a number of ways of a V-Twin. The sound is pretty amazing, too (uses a firing order like the M1 MotoGP bike, so it sounds a bit like a sporty twin, v-four, and a V8). It has great handling...it seems to just fit me well. I'll have some onboard video in the coming weeks that I'll post up here.

Thats fucking nice man! You'll have to post pictures when you get it in.
Dragona Akehi
Retired
(02-28-2009, 07:29 PM)
Dragona Akehi's Avatar

Originally Posted by thesoapster

:lol nice



If you're looking for something that's all around good (and will go off-road) for lower price...the Kawasaki Versys is supposed to be great. Certainly should've have any engine issues as they've been using that parallel twin 650 for a while now.

edit: actually, I guess it's not really "sanctioned" as an off-road bike, despite named Versys for versatile. A number of manufacturers have more-street-than-off-road dual sport bikes (with dual sport tires of course). Might be worth checking out Suzuki's V-Strom or the Kawasaki KLR 650. I've heard good things about the 'Zook.

Well it isn't like I'm looking for offroad capabilities, but rather a comfortable upright seating position that's good for long rides, like my current bike. I really hate how touring and cruisers have all aped Harley Davidson lowriders, I don't like sticking my feet out in front of me.
klausbert
Member
(02-28-2009, 07:38 PM)

HELL YEAAAHHHR
jamesinclair
Banned
(02-28-2009, 07:39 PM)
jamesinclair's Avatar
Ive always wanted one of these


Thread Tools