• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:08 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kagari

Wait what? I totally missed this...

Isn't that why they tried to get Annie to go into the underground area? If she entered she wouldn't be able to transform, or at least that's what I got out of that chapter.

Also priest telling people to block the hole made in the wall to prevent the titan from being active by sunlight or something?

Armin's suspicion is confirmed when she smiles in the same way as the female titan, and by her refusal to enter the passage, where she cannot transform.

Although then I wonder how Ymir transforms at the Castle since wasn't that at night too?
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 09:11 AM)
Haly's Avatar
They must be able to reserve some transformation energy, because Ymir transformed in the middle of the night.

So I don't know why they thought bringing Annie undergroud would stop her from transforming, nor why she was unwilling to go underground.

Maybe because she had already used up all her titan powers in the engagement in the forest.
Branduil
(04-14-2013, 09:11 AM)
Branduil's Avatar
Of course then the last arc had the hairy titan and his posse attacking at night.
Dresden
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:12 AM)
Dresden's Avatar
Hair aids in energy conservation, obviously. We're going to see yetis soon.

---

Two thoughts after watching ep2:
  1. I wouldn't mind if the anime became the definitive version of the franchise
  2. We're going to see what's in the basement before the manga ever gets there
Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:12 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

They must be able to reserve some transformation energy, because Ymir transformed in the middle of the night.

So I don't know why they thought bringing Annie undergroud would stop her from transforming, nor why she was unwilling to go underground.

Maybe because she had already used up all her titan powers in the engagement in the forest.

Well, the author spent like 10 pages on the "Annie won't go underground" part and only 1 panel for the Reiner/Berthold reveal so obviously more pages = less important.
Jarmel
Banned
(04-14-2013, 09:12 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

Isn't that why they tried to get Annie to go into the underground area? If she entered she wouldn't be able to transform, or at least that's what I got out of that chapter.

Not as far as I'm aware. Titans use sunlight for energy and become more lethargic in nighttime settings. There was also the element that in a tunnel, she couldn't transform due to the size constraints. I don't think they've mentioned that sunlight is necessary for the initial transformation.
Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:16 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Not as far as I'm aware. Titans use sunlight for energy and become more lethargic in nighttime settings. There was also the element that in a tunnel, she couldn't transform due to the size constraints. I don't think they've mentioned that sunlight is necessary for the initial transformation.

She punched through the tunnel pretty easily so I can't imagine her not being able to burst through it during transformation.
Akito
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:17 AM)
Akito's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jarmel

Not as far as I'm aware. Titans use sunlight for energy and become more lethargic in nighttime settings. There was also the element that in a tunnel, she couldn't transform due to the size constraints. I don't think they've mentioned that sunlight is necessary for the initial transformation.

Yep, that was my impression as well, she would have only been trapped if they went down deep enough and she was trying to transform. The same reason why Eren was being confined inside a underground prison I think.
Jarmel
Banned
(04-14-2013, 09:23 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

She punched through the tunnel pretty easily so I can't imagine her not being able to burst through it during transformation.

There's a difference between punching through something and trying to grow in a constrained space.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 09:23 AM)
Haly's Avatar
Maybe it has to do with the mechanics of transformation that they need open space to displace and can't just do it anywhere without turning themselves into a block of cheese.

However, Eren DID pop out of another titan before.
Dresden
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:26 AM)
Dresden's Avatar
It's not complicated. Hair = energy conservation. The more hair you have, the more able you are to do titan-y things in dark conditions. This is why Eren was able to burst out--he had enough energy stored on the top of his head to exert himself so. The more hair you have, the more powerful you are. It's why so many of the fodder titans are almost completely hairless.
Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:28 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dresden

It's not complicated. Hair = energy conservation. The more hair you have, the more able you are to do titan-y things in dark conditions. This is why Eren was able to burst out--he had enough energy stored on the top of his head to exert himself so. The more hair you have, the more powerful you are. It's why so many of the fodder titans are almost completely hairless.

Poor half-potato guy.

Sasha-potato-Titan will be the strongest Titan.

Originally Posted by Jarmel

There's a difference between punching through something and trying to grow in a constrained space.

In one of the flashbacks, didn't Eren's titan hand emerge from within the ground (when he was trying to pick up the fork). I might be misremembering though.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 09:35 AM)
Haly's Avatar
He was outside the ground by then.
Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:35 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

He was outside the ground by then.

But the lower half of the titan was beneath the ground? Unless during that instance the titan didn't bother forming the lower half.
Akito
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:39 AM)
Akito's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

But the lower half of the titan was beneath the ground? Unless during that instance the titan didn't bother forming the lower half.

He didn't fully transform, same case as when he was protecting Mikasa and Armin from the cannon ball.
Kagari
Crystal Bearer
(04-14-2013, 09:40 AM)
Kagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ken

But the lower half of the titan was beneath the ground? Unless during that instance the titan didn't bother forming the lower half.

Yes, but he couldn't bring forth the "need" or whatever. Same thing happened with his hesitation against Annie.
Ken
Member
(04-14-2013, 09:41 AM)
Ken's Avatar
Titans need their priorities straight when it comes to picking up forks.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 09:41 AM)
Haly's Avatar
He didn't have enough moral clarity.
Branduil
(04-14-2013, 09:44 AM)
Branduil's Avatar
One thing I noticed when watching episode 2: the design of the armored titan makes it really easy to tell it's Reiner. I wonder if anime-only watchers are going to figure that twist out much faster.
Jarmel
Banned
(04-14-2013, 10:47 AM)
Jarmel's Avatar

Originally Posted by Branduil

One thing I noticed when watching episode 2: the design of the armored titan makes it really easy to tell it's Reiner. I wonder if anime-only watchers are going to figure that twist out much faster.

One thing about adaptations is that speculation stuff like this isn't as fun because you know the answer is out there and chances are somebody will ruin it for you anyway.
duckroll
Member
(04-14-2013, 03:00 PM)
duckroll's Avatar
Anime speculation time!

Here's my guess for how the anime adaptation is going to go for the first 12 episodes:

Ep3 = Ch15-16 (Eren's training until they discover the defective equipment and he realizes he doesn't suck)

Ep4 = Ch17-18 (More training in the open areas, learning to move as a group and fight against cardboard targets, etc. Plus Rivail cameo.)

Ep5 = Ch3-4 (This is probably going to be the first big action episode, ending with Eren getting eaten. Non-readers are going to go nuts. Lol)

Ep6 = Ch5-6 (Mikasa episode, including her flashback with Eren.)

Ep7 = Ch7-8 (This one will probably end with the Eren-Titan fight mid-ch8.)

Ep8 = Ch8-9 (This will be the rest of the rescue operation using Eren-Titan ending with him transforming back.)

Ep9 = Ch10-11 + 9.5? (I can see them using the Rivail chapter as a pre-OP sequence for an episode around this point. The rest of the episode will be about them "testing" Eren after surrounding him.)

Ep10 = Ch11-12 (They'll probably have more expanded material here to show the aftermath of the discovery of a human-Titan. Plus the planning for the operation to close the wall with the rock, etc.)

Ep11 = Ch12-13 (The operation itself until Eren collapses and they all lose hope as he just stays immobile. Cliffhanger.)

Ep12 = Ch13-14 (Getting Eren back up all the way until he plugs the hole with the rock.)

Ep13 = Ch18 (I'm less sure about this, but it would make sense to have an epilogue sort of episode like ep2, where they remember and honor the fallen, and have expanded scenes on the cleaning up of the city and so on, with the characters reflecting on their first major battle.)

This will mean they'll cover about 18 chapters with 12-13 episodes. The second half of the series will start with Eren in the cell, and the new OP sequence will probably feature tons of Titan on Titan action. :D

What do you guys think?
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 05:56 PM)
Haly's Avatar
You're obsessive duckroll.

If they really do things chronologically the whole everyone was titan shit is going to be much more obvious.
Kurita
Member
(04-14-2013, 06:02 PM)
Kurita's Avatar
I wonder which deus ex machina the author will pull so that Eren doesn't get crushed by the Colossal Titan's head.
duckroll
Member
(04-14-2013, 06:22 PM)
duckroll's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

You're obsessive duckroll.

If they really do things chronologically the whole everyone was titan shit is going to be much more obvious.

It already is. Didn't you see ep2?!
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 06:23 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

It already is. Didn't you see ep2?!

Yeah.

Talk about blatant.

(God this thread is so nice. It's what I imagine the manga thread would be if certain shounen series were banned).
Brazil
Living in the shadow of Amaz
(04-14-2013, 06:54 PM)
Brazil's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

It already is. Didn't you see ep2?!

Oh damn. Seriously?

I need to watch that ASAP.
Kagari
Crystal Bearer
(04-14-2013, 07:26 PM)
Kagari's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kurita

I wonder which deus ex machina the author will pull so that Eren doesn't get crushed by the Colossal Titan's head.

Or maybe... he won't and the plot will actually move forward this time.
CornBurrito
Member
(04-14-2013, 11:40 PM)
CornBurrito's Avatar
I am on Chapter 17 on the manga.

It is really fucking stupid how the best get the option to be the furthest away from the Titans. With policy like that you'd think the leaders on the country are siding with the Titans. And I am guessing they are. Either that or extremely short sighted and stupid.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-14-2013, 11:42 PM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by CornBurrito

I am on Chapter 17 on the manga.

It is really fucking stupid how the best get the option to be the furthest away from the Titans. With policy like that you'd think the leaders on the country are siding with the Titans. And I am guessing they are. Either that or extremely short sighted and stupid.

Ohohohohohohohoho
duckroll
Member
(04-14-2013, 11:43 PM)
duckroll's Avatar
Why are you using spoiler tags. Lol.
CornBurrito
Member
(04-14-2013, 11:44 PM)
CornBurrito's Avatar

Originally Posted by duckroll

Why are you using spoiler tags. Lol.

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?
abic
Banned
(04-14-2013, 11:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Kurita

I wonder which deus ex machina the author will pull so that Eren doesn't get crushed by the Colossal Titan's head.



if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.
curlyfriski
Banned
(04-14-2013, 11:59 PM)

Originally Posted by abic



if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.

Plus as long as Eren's real body isn't totally destroyed, he won't die. Maybe he'll be incapacitated for long enough for the other two to run off with him (or so I hope).

Originally Posted by CornBurrito

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?

Personally I prefer the non-chronological order, it creates a steady barrage of humanity-is-doomed hopelessness. I wish the anime wasn't starting out with the flashbacks because I'm impatient to get to the full-out action episodes.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-15-2013, 12:01 AM)
Haly's Avatar

Originally Posted by CornBurrito

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?

The mangaka is an underdeveloped writer. He uses it to create suspense and mystery for the audience where a chronological telling wouldn't.
Kurita
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:01 AM)
Kurita's Avatar

Originally Posted by abic



if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.

I know but it still can do some damage.
CornBurrito
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:05 AM)
CornBurrito's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haly

The mangaka is an underdeveloped writer. He uses it to create suspense and mystery for the audience where a chronological telling wouldn't.

Hmm I hope the anime doesn't screw up then by going chronologically.
Branduil
(04-15-2013, 12:24 AM)
Branduil's Avatar

Originally Posted by CornBurrito

Yeah I dunno.

Also why did the manga not do things chronologically? This weird flashback to their training as soldiers seems oddly placed since we just saw them fight as soldiers. Was it so the author could have action first, character development second?

This is the author's first manga, so his writing can still be pretty rough. I'm guessing he frontloaded the first two battles because he was afraid of the readers getting bored.
Dresden
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:25 AM)
Dresden's Avatar
It was his first manga, he needed to get the reader's attention just so it could survive.

The problem is when he keeps doing it even after he's become an established creator.
Ken
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:27 AM)
Ken's Avatar

Originally Posted by abic



if you've been paying attention to the story you know that giants are made out of lighter material than you expect.

Colossal Titan is dead.
Humanity lives in peace for years.
Until...
Hairy Titan leads a bunch of titans with solar hair-powered 3DMGs and scale the wall anyways because yes.
duckroll
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:28 AM)
duckroll's Avatar
Everyone thought the weak narrative structure was because he's a new author and he was trying to drum up more excitement artificially. But later on there's a flashback to him planning the manga before it was released and it's revealed that the narrative structure was his intended plan all along because he thinks it's smart and cool.

:P
Akito
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:28 AM)
Akito's Avatar
Cross posting from the Manga thread:

So uh, Shingeki no Kyojin popularity poll

01. Levi (3952)
02. Eren (2244)
03. Mikasa (2232)
04. Sasha (818)
05. Christa (664)
06. Annie (452)
07. Hanji (388)
08. Reiner (348)
09. Jean (310)
10. Armin (290)

01. Colossal Titan (64)
02. Armored Titan (44)
03. Hairy Titan (12)
04. Female Titan
05. Titan in the Wall

How is Mikasa below Eren, I call bullshit.
Kurita
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:30 AM)
Kurita's Avatar
I still don't get why Levi is so popular.
Ken
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:30 AM)
Ken's Avatar
Sasha not high enough.
Haly
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(04-15-2013, 12:35 AM)
Haly's Avatar
No one is surprised. Rivaille is badass.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(04-15-2013, 12:40 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kurita

I still don't get why Levi is so popular.

You mean the stoic, badass?

You wonder why?
Dresden
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:43 AM)
Dresden's Avatar
He's the stoic, dreamy badass . . . who pairs up well with Eren in a seme/uke relationship. There's the reason.
shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(04-15-2013, 12:47 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dresden

He's the stoic, dreamy badass . . . who pairs up well with Eren in a seme/uke relationship. There's the reason.

Totally seme.

Eren makes a nice uke. -_-
Dresden
Member
(04-15-2013, 12:51 AM)
Dresden's Avatar

Originally Posted by shintoki

Totally seme.

Eren makes a nice uke. -_-

.

shintoki
sparkle this bitch
(04-15-2013, 12:51 AM)
shintoki's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dresden

.

I can totally make due with this.
Antiwhippy
the holder of the trombone
(04-15-2013, 12:53 AM)
Antiwhippy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dresden

.

Oh yes.

Hurt me more.

Thread Tools